swcda

Jun 23, 2012
Back in Coeur d'Alene, ID
Detector(s) used
MineLab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Friday everyone.

So, I went detecting in a park that is located in a small old town in Idaho. I wanted to break in my new 10X5 DD 18.5 coil for my Xterra 705 and see how she works. I did fairly well but didn't find any silver like I was hoping, but I was close with a 66 quarter!

Anyways, I was searching fairly close to a creek and got a strong signal and it the screen was showing a 48. I of course got really excited thinking it might be a silver dollar but when I started digging and moved a rock out of the hole, I rechecked my hole and nothing. So I then swung my my coil over the rock and once again got a strong signal and shows a 48 on the screen. I then switched it to prospecting mode, GB, Noise cancelled and started at 5 discrimination and I'm still getting a signal and continue to do so all the way up to 20 discrimination.

I have no experience in prospecting with my detector and was planning on doing some this summer. So I am a rookie when trying to figure this out. I can post a picture of the rock later but it is not quartz and I don't see any lead or what appears to be lead. I cracked the rock open and there are some reflective areas but nothing that jumps out at you. Is it safe to say that this might just be a hot rock?

Upvote 0

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found a few 10,20 & 30 Lb Hot rocks with my Tesoro Golden Sabre VLF, I collect them to put in my garden to test and ground balance them out with my 50kz Whites GMT goldmaster with Auto ground balance setting where I can put a 2 grain gold piece on top of the hot rock and it picks up the small gold not the rock. Sometimes I crack them open as recommended by my neighbor who works a active mine here in French Gulch Calif. owned by the Gold Bullion Mining Co. in Nevada. I don't know if high in iorn or wharever, Sometimes I find them in Old Gold tailings. Good Luck on your next search.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you test it with a magnet to see if it's magnetic? Some hot rocks are loaded with iron.

You mentioned lead, but said you couldn't see any--it may have enough in it to be the culprit regardless of any visual indicators.

Without seeing the rock, it's a tough call.

Is it far heavier in your hand than a typical river or country rock the same size?

Factor all of these things in as you do your detective work, and good luck as you try to solve your case.

All the best,

Lanny

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It sounds like a hot rock. We get gazillions of them here in GA. Filled with Magnetite. Some are very large. It can be a real pain.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many times my "Home Depot" Large $10 Magnet with wood stick handel used for picking up nails, I tested many hot rocks and most have no magnetic current to make it draw to it. Possibly a low % of iorn. I think you probably feel like me with a good hit and think it's something and dig and find the hot rock. (It gets exciting, I tell ya),
(Getting Warm to making a good find, Don't give up!)... goldentruth

OP
OP
swcda

swcda

Jun 23, 2012
Back in Coeur d'Alene, ID
Detector(s) used
MineLab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your insights. I had my geologist friend that works at a mine in the silver valley take a look. There is silver in the rock! He of course asked where I found it and I lied.:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread