How good is the original Gold Bug?

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all. I just jumped on a deal for an original Gold Bug. At first try tonight in the back yard, it seems to be a better machine than the Garrett Gold Stinger I recently sold. I have my heart set on a Gold Bug Pro, and it will be in my immediate future. Most likely before the end of the summer. Until then, I am going to be using the original I just picked up. I have virtually no knowledge of this machine, except a brief instruction I found on Ehow. I have some questions. Here goes.
Am I wasting my time even trying to use this machine?
What size gold will I find with this thing? I am sure it will pick up big nuggets, but how small can I realistically expect it to find?
What settings should I run it in?
Are there any easy modifications I can do to boost its sensitivity?
Should I just sell it right now, and wait for the Pro I want?
Thanks for your input, guys.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decent machine made a fortune for fisher for sure. Go online and download the manual from the website. Manual GB,all metal nugget finding son of a gun, GB2 a little easier and tinyier gold but sometimes that's a disadvantage as you dig dollar nuggets when hundreds lay a few feet away. MUST have faceplate and treat nice and careful as many parts of electronics NOT available anymore-John

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of the GB Pro fans won't like to hear this, but I think that you can find the same gold with your orginal GB as all those other guys are finding with the GB Pro. If it's functioning properly, it will work just as good. I believe it operates at 20 Khz, the same as the the GB Pro. And being manual ground balance, it will make you learn to check and recheck your ground balance. Learning how to ground balance is an important skill and not good to always leave it up to the "grab" button, a manual ground balance is one of the most important tools in our bag. Give it a chance, and try not to have the attitude that it's some old piece of crap, it will find gold. I bought a Tesoro Diablo II off of ebay for a good price. It came out in 1993, but I sent it back to Tesoro for a check, and they have it working perfectly. It works just as well as my LST, and I think it would give my GMT a run for it's money. In fact, it has features that I like better, so really when it comes down to it right now, I'll pick up the Diablo II before I pick up the LST.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of the GB Pro fans won't like to hear this, but I think that you can find the same gold with your orginal GB as all those other guys are finding with the GB Pro. If it's functioning properly, it will work just as good. I believe it operates at 20 Khz, the same as the the GB Pro. And being manual ground balance, it will make you learn to check and recheck your ground balance. Learning how to ground balance is an important skill and not good to always leave it up to the "grab" button, a manual ground balance is one of the most important tools in our bag. Give it a chance, and try not to have the attitude that it's some old piece of crap, it will find gold. I bought a Tesoro Diablo II off of ebay for a good price. It came out in 1993, but I sent it back to Tesoro for a check, and they have it working perfectly. It works just as well as my LST, and I think it would give my GMT a run for it's money. In fact, it has features that I like better, so really when it comes down to it right now, I'll pick up the Diablo II before I pick up the LST.

Its true, same technology just in a shiny new digital wrapper.. I've got my dads old original Gold Bug.. still works, and hits on gold, haven't used it in a while though..
I can't wait for the NEXT generation of gold detectors from White's, Fisher, and Tesoro..

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try an original Gold Bug and a Gold Bug Pro on a tiny nugget. I think you will find the Gold Bug Pro will hit gold the old Gold Bug will miss. Much higher gain. Frequency is only part of the equation.

Still, for the reason John notes that is not always a good thing. The old Gold Bug is also less reactive to the ground and hot rocks. Truly a classic.

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So it sounds to me that I need to give it a chance, learn to use it. And its not just a toy to make a couple of bucks off of. I will start playing with it. Thanks for the replies guys.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
the ogb performes very well, never get rid of it.:icon_thumleft:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kazcoro,

Howdy, I purchased a new original GB many years ago and sold it a couple of years ago having found no gold with it.

Do not panic! I will encourage you to read the manual and get a couple of the follow on 'booklets' that came out for it and read them. Then you need to really put in some time to learn the machine and try out all the tips given in the booklets. The critical item with the G B is keeping the ground properly balanced and the ten turn pot is nice as well as a pain but it is how the machine is adjusted so Learn It! I took my GB into the same general area as I've taken my current GMT and I've found gold with the GMT. I never found gold with the GB. Again, do not panic, the GB requires that you really learn how to use it more than any other machine I've owned or seen in use!! Learn how to use it, plant a test garden in mineralized soil and learn the machine. Have I stressed learning enough? I want you to succeed where I did not!....................63bkpkr

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Advanced Nugget Hunting with the Fisher Gold Bug Metal Detector

Advanced Nugget Hunting with the Fisher Gold Bug Metal Detector
by Pieter Heydelaar and David Johnson

This out-of-print book was one of the early volumes about metal detecting for gold. Part 2 by David Johnson is still the best read on hot rocks I have seen. Dave was the lead engineer behind the Gold Bug and many other nugget detector including the Gold Bug 2 and Gold Bug Pro.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/Advance Nugget Hunting.pdf

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread