:) age old question of what detector to get.

mthunter22

Apr 14, 2013
missoula,mt
Detector(s) used
minelab sd2100. whites gmt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i know it has been asked before and thank you all for your patience and knowledge but here is my particular situation.. i live in montana near missoula.i have found small gold and a few small pickers panning in the river and have done quite a bit of studying on gold bearing areas in the state. i own a minelab sd 2100 and have taken it out quite a bit and have cleaned the local areas of lots of nails,bullets,pulltabs,and the normal junk along with a few interesting buttons ,tools and odds and ends. but i have never found gold with my detector,so i am thinking that i should have originally bought a detector that hits on very small gold instead of my 2100 that is a great detector just probably not what i should have started with in my area.so i am looking for a companion to it that i can use to hopefully locate very small gold. gold is my number 1 target but my wife does like to look for odds and ends around old homesites ,so a iron discrimination would be nice to have.also i would like to use it in the river for checking bedrock 1 to 2 feet below water and am not sure if they all have waterproof coils?from my research i have come to the conclusion that the gold bug 2 will find the very smallest of gold but not very deep and doesnt work that great in highly mineralized ground,im not sure how mineralized the ground here is but i assume that will possibly be a consideration.i know that i have found "Hot Rocks" with my 2100. seems like the gold bug pro might be better at ground balancing and almost as sensitive on small gold but possibly better depth and better for coin and relic hunting? . and to stir the pot more ,recently i have been reading a lot about the whites gmt and sounds like it might be even more sensitive to the tinies than the pro and possibly just as good or better than the pro on ground balancing and better depth on bigger and littler gold.. what i am wondering i guess is just how tiny gold am i going to be missing by not getting the gb2,and are the advantages that the others offer worth it? also is the whites gmt 100.00 better than the pro? anyways looking for people that have actually used the mentioned detectors opinions and thoughts,, as always Thank you very much for your time and sharing your knowledge..and if anyone is ever in the area and would like to teach a rookie and go do some detecting please give me a shout.again Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mthunter22

Apr 14, 2013
missoula,mt
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mthunter22

Apr 14, 2013
missoula,mt
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well there is a whites gmt on its way soon.. anyone know why on some of the used ones the sticker on the coil is blue instead of that tan color?also where is the best place to buy the 4x6 coil?

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unsure about where to buy a coil, check out whites http://whiteselectronics.com/ type in your Zip code for a local dealer.
the factory 4x6 is the best option, and as far as i know the only option...

Believe me you don't need a bunch of coil options... the stock 10" is more than enough to get the job done, BUT! If you're working bedrock /tight spaces.. you will want that little 4x6" coil.
For deep searching (not that deep) i use the 14" Sierra GoldMax, the sensitivity you get with the 10" and 6" is reduced though..

Either way if all you come away with is the GMT and stock coil (AND A GOOD SET OF HEADPHONES) You'll be on the gold and a happy camper..

Last edited:

Toysandthings

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2013
Wollongong
Detector(s) used
Cscope 4pi. Goldbug DP, Bounty Hunter tracker IV, Pioneer 505, Mini Pulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would luv 2 test a goldbug pro vrs our goldbug dp on a 1g n 2g nugget. Ours doesnt seem to do so good.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would luv 2 test a goldbug pro vrs our goldbug dp on a 1g n 2g nugget. Ours doesnt seem to do so good.

Pro and DP are the same detector, Just different coil... If you were to pickup the stock 5" DD Coil your results would change. you may actually gain depth on those 1-2g nuggets, my GBP will hit a 1 gram nugget at 6" no problem.. I always use manual ground balance and give it a hot signal on the down stroke. extra sensitivity..

The DP was aimed more at the coin/relic shooters..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread