Interesting non-target items found while out nugget shooting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been thinking about what kinds of relics or other goodies I might find
when out nugget hunting, and would love to hear about any interesting
finds others have made.

I don't mean the usual assortment of birdshot, bullets or bits of wire, etc.,
but rather interesting objects that you've dug out in the middle of nowhere,
and then wondered how the hell it got there in the first place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found an 1889 V nickel the first time out with my GMT. I was prospecting a way-out spot, and must have stumbled on a place somebody once camped.
Jim

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Dizz… over nearly three decades of prospecting I’ve found several old English and Canadian large coppers, a half cent piece, a buffalo nickel just recently, and several five cent silver coins… the older King Edward and Victorian types. Plus quite a number of bottles, and relics… implements, utensils, lanterns, and a broken silver pocket watch.

I’ve met a lot of interesting people in the farther places… some have resulted in longterm friendships… those friends are my best finds.

OLD BOTTLES FROM SILVER COUNTRY.JPG

Probably worth mentioning are some highgrader silver caches found over the years. These aren’t exactly what you refer to… but are still noteworthy because they’re unusual finds. The first photo below contains pristine silver nuggets… the majority were found several years ago as a cache secreted back in the woods adjacent to a minesite.

JAR NUGGETS AUTUMN 2007.JPG

The second photo is a minor spill or cache found this past season at a minesite in an unusual spot… indicative of highgrading activity while the silver ores were being transported away from the minesite. Such caches are invariably pristine quality silver… we can easily imagine that such would be the main interest of pilferers…

SILVER CACHE OR SPILL.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this while nuggetshooting in the Bradshaw Mountains.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 185

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hmm well Yesterday i found a 1.1 Oz copper nugget, which i then lost on the walk back to the car.. an Iphone 3gs, before anyone asks, no it doesn't work lol..

Oh not sure if this counts, but I found my wifes ML eureka gold leaning against a tree while she was taking pictures of a bigass Goanna climbing a tree about 200 yards away...
(note: This is how our SD2000 was LOST in the bush for 2 days.. she put it down to go look at a kangaroo).. it was recovered after 4-5 hours of walking around.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Dizz… over nearly three decades of prospecting I’ve found several old English and Canadian large coppers, a half cent piece, a buffalo nickel just recently, and several five cent silver coins… the older King Edward and Victorian types. Plus quite a number of bottles, and relics… implements, utensils, lanterns, and a broken silver pocket watch.

I’ve met a lot of interesting people in the farther places… some have resulted in longterm friendships… those friends are my best finds.

Probably worth mentioning are some highgrader silver caches found over the years. These aren’t exactly what you refer to… but are still noteworthy because they’re unusual finds. The first photo below contains pristine silver nuggets… the majority were found several years ago as a cache secreted back in the woods adjacent to a minesite.

The second photo is a minor spill or cache found this past season at a minesite in an unusual spot… indicative of highgrading activity while the silver ores were being transported away from the minesite. Such caches are invariably pristine quality silver… we can easily imagine that such would be the main interest of pilferers…
Wow, Jim, those are some nice finds! Hope I have that kind of luck next weekend...finally got enough decent weather I'm going to try detecting my old silver ledge.
Jim

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow...after seeing all these incredible finds I'm not sure if I want to
go hunting for nuggets or just hike around looking for other goodies..8-)

Jim in ID: To me that would be one of the best finds ever, as it is evidence
of man's past, and that "history" took place right there in that spot. I've found
2 "V" nickels while metal detecting parks in the past, but I've never found a coin
dating older than 1902.

mthunter22: Never thought of looking in Pack Rat nests! Those thievin' critters
will haul off assorted stuff that they can get their teeth around or drag back
to their "booty pile", and they especially like shiny things. Might be interesting to
hunt down a couple of those nests and see what kind of things the local rats
have collected over the years.

Jim H...incredible finds! I've never seen silver "in the raw", so unless it looks like
what you have in the jars I likely wouldn't recognize it even if it jumped up and
bit me in the arse...
umn.gif

Aus: No Roos or Goanna's out in the Mojave, but there are a few other critters I
plan to get pics of. Taking my Nikon, and lenses to get me out as far as 450mm
(if I can't get in close enough for a 450mm then it's my own damn fault...lol)

With my current schedule, I'll have at least 7-10 days to just wander around
central and northern Nevada nugget shooting and relic hunting. Unfortunately,
not being very mobile I can't hike for miles and miles like some folks, and probably
won't get more than 1/2 mi. from my truck at any time. I drive an '87 Toy. 4x4, and
that SOB will go just about anywhere I point it, and then I'll hike from there.

Most days I do pretty good, but there are days I can't get 10' without tipping over, so I'll
just have to be careful. Even thought about wearing a football "girdle" with the tailbone
pad so I don't bust my arse on the rocks when land on by butt. (ever notice as you get
older that the factory-installed "padding" in your booty seems to just disappear?)

Back in about 1980 I was on a varmint hunting trip, and after hunting all night I
decided to hike out from the dirt road about 200 yds. and make a daylight stand
(sit in one place and use a predator call to bring the coyotes to me). I sat down
on the rim of a wash, and as I was snuggling myself back into a sagebush for cover,
I noticed a shiny thing sitting on TOP of the sand about 2 ft. away. Turned out to
be a very shiny 1917 Wheatie, sitting out there in the wide open hundreds of
yards from anything and with absolutely nothing to show how the heck it got there,
just waiting for me to come along and pick it up.

I don't leave till Sunday, and I'm so jazzed about this trip that I'm hoping my Mrs.
can tolerate me till then.
americanasmiley.gif

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well Dizz... I don't know about your Mrs... but I suppose we can tolerate you for a little bit yet... maybe. :wink:

Those silver nuggets are fairly representative. Sometimes the shine is dulled with some amount of graying resulting from surface sulfide formation... that is more often the case where silver is located in low wet areas. A bit of a buzz with a rotary tool and wire brush cleans it right up.

I guess many of us are learning about the pros and cons of aging Dizz... it's inevitable... so just take your time and keep personal safety in mind. I have an older acquaintance I see every autumn in the silverfields of northern Ontario who is approaching 80 but still active in prospecting / detecting there. He's a bit tipsy too. Last season I found him pretty much stuck out in the middle of jumbled uneven rock tailings in a fairly remote area... he knew he was in a bit of a pickle. So I went out after him, took his hand, and helped get over to a flatter area where he could navigate for himself. Yah... I watched him weaving back and forth out there and figured he needed help before he fell flat on his noggin... it wouldn't have been good.

Have an enjoyable trip, take your time... sort of pace yourself if needs be... and maybe make some nice finds. When you get back home, it'd be nice to hear how you made out. All the very best...

Jim.

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info on the silver Jim! Don't know if I'll find any, but at least now I have an idea
of what to look for.

BTW, it's not that I'm so over-the-hill at 54..rather I have an illness that causes severe balance issues,
as (amongst other things) it destroys the nerve carrying the signals from the inner ear to the brain.
Got so bad I had to have the nerve in the right ear surgically severed, so that ear is nothing more
than a decoration hanging off my head. The primary balance control for the body is located in the
inner ear, and with only one poorly functioning ear remaining (it's diseased too) I just have to be
careful not to "Zig" when I should be "Zagging"..lean too far in any direction and there's no stopping
the ground from smacking me..lol

Biggest problem is when the ground is very uneven, or there's a lot of boulders to work around. This is
the primary reason I've switched from wet placer to dry washing and nugget shooting. If I crash-n-burn
out in the desert the worst that might happen is maybe break an arm/wrist. The river rocks/boulders are
wet and slippery, and up here the waters just barely above freezing. Falling into the river and drowning
would be a lot worse than just getting a sore arse or another broken wrist.

No doubt in a couple more years the left ones gonna be completely shot too, so I guess I'll have
to change my username over to "Deaf Digger"..:laughing7:

Will try and do a full write-up when I get home, with plenty of pics. Planning to do some predator
calling too, and hoping I can bring in a nice Cougar or Bobcat willing to pose for a portraits..:occasion14:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well lets see nothing too obvious:
Couple of 10 stamp mill setups, Boulder Tongs, Couple of ore cars(in the mines), very large one lunger engine, several groups of ore buckets on cable systems, a few old miners cabins(one with a really cute mouse in it), Champagne bottles along with a 4" Monitor nozzle, hobnail boots, "V" nickel at the top of the trail (interesting someone else found one), 4'-6" long wrecking bar standing vertically in a sand wall at a hydraulically washed hillside, super heavy duty chain falls some still on the 1" diameter steel cables strung across the creek where the boulders were being moved, riveted water pipes, old tree limb cuttings that were so old they'd turned black, trails not on any map, mountains so rugged they scare ya, rattlesnakes/Lots of Bears, pick axe heads, "old" beer can, old bottles, one side of a cast iron students school house desk, steel wheeled wheel barrows, lots of stacked rock walls, a Buick straight six engine with 3 speed tranny setup with a capstan winch on the tranny(river boulder pulling), many 1" diameter steel bars pounded into drilled holes for anchor points for winching boulders, old dishes from England (cracked but whole), unique rocks, strange shadows but otherwise not much..................63bkpkr

197_9770.JPG 4" output monitor nozzle (left the Champagne bottles as they were broken)

191_9119.JPG One Lunger Engine

191_9125.JPG Chain type Ore buckets and castings

187_8754_r1.jpg Unique rock structures

187_8757.JPG Strange Shadows

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jim H,

Maybe more like a flash bulb, very bright but good for only one shot. Thank you. Your items were splendid as well, bottles of silver ore, drool. I've had one mine superintendent show us several pint bottles of good sized gold nuggets, that sure messed us up for anymore fishing.

As I compiled the list more and more kept coming up and it surprised me how many unique finds I've had that I'd guess many people never see. The boulder tongs were huge and it would take 4 of me to lift the the three unit set. The one lunger engine was a shock, huge spark plug and just laying out in the open on a hillside above the river. I just now recalled the hand cranked star bit drilling unit for boring holes in mine walls with 1800's patent dates on it. Just hiking the back country minding my own business and stumble across these historical pieces. Great fun and I do enjoy the challenge of getting into some of these places, like going up avalanche chutes.

However Jim, your posts are much more analytical/factual with details and solutions that find more ore than I'm likely to find in a lifetime and you get out in the back country as well! Good stuff ain't it.................63bkpkr

169_6953.JPG Drilling unit, weigh's a freaking 5 tons, how'd they get it in there? Piece by piece I'd guess? {Jackson Drill Denver, patent dates 1898, 1899}

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for posting the interesting history and experiences........life out here in the east lacks such cool finds, yet there are some small surprises out here waiting.....

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've run across some things like Herb. Always two questions. What the heck is it? And how the heck did it get here?

Those sure were tough, determined hombres - back in the day.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Fullpan at times I've had both those questions myself though some objects are identifiable.

180_8093.JPG 180_8098.JPG

180_8099.JPG 181_8109.JPG

182_8237.JPG This is not so easy, it is a portion of a 4' 6" work bar I found in a creek bank standing vertically covered with dirt. Actually this one Was a GMT find as it was totally buried. I've done some awesome work with it!

183_8358.JPG

Do not forget to enjoy yourselves out there!!......................63bkpkr

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jim H,

Maybe more like a flash bulb, very bright but good for only one shot. Thank you. Your items were splendid as well, bottles of silver ore, drool. I've had one mine superintendent show us several pint bottles of good sized gold nuggets, that sure messed us up for anymore fishing.

As I compiled the list more and more kept coming up and it surprised me how many unique finds I've had that I'd guess many people never see. The boulder tongs were huge and it would take 4 of me to lift the the three unit set. The one lunger engine was a shock, huge spark plug and just laying out in the open on a hillside above the river. I just now recalled the hand cranked star bit drilling unit for boring holes in mine walls with 1800's patent dates on it. Just hiking the back country minding my own business and stumble across these historical pieces. Great fun and I do enjoy the challenge of getting into some of these places, like going up avalanche chutes.

However Jim, your posts are much more analytical/factual with details and solutions that find more ore than I'm likely to find in a lifetime and you get out in the back country as well! Good stuff ain't it.................63bkpkr

View attachment 784232 Drilling unit, weigh's a freaking 5 tons, how'd they get it in there? Piece by piece I'd guess? {Jackson Drill Denver, patent dates 1898, 1899}

Put yourself in the miners shoes - "we need a denver drilling unit". How does he buy it? On credit, don't think so. Its maybe 1902 - order by telegraph? Shipped
(after payment?) from Denver by rail to Sacramento? Then by wagon or early heavy duty truck back up the hill to Auburn (were there any paved roads?) Then
separate parts loaded onto small wagons (or mules?) and followed "hiking trails" into remote canyon. Then reassembled with heavy duty tools (by factory rep?)
Then find out its the wrong model - what then, Hoo boy! - had to be tough and be a real optimist to make it happen. We get frustrated and want to quit cause
a flapper valve fails.

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro, Fisher F70, bounty hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Jim! I've never seen silver nuggets, this is a first for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread