Where to purchase Whites GMT?

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions for the folks who have a GMT.

1). Where did you buy your GMT at? I am looking to buy within the next few weeks.

2). Is it possible to buy the GMT with the 4x6 nugget shooter coil instead of the 6X10 as the stock model? I need a coil that can fit into smaller spaces and I have read that the smaller coil helps deal with mineralization better, which is what I will encounter out in the field.

3). What kind of success have you all had with using the GMT in shallow creeks?

Thanks for the help. I am brand new to detecting, but I think this GMT should be a good tool and should be a lot of fun.

J.D.

Upvote 0

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought my GMT yesterday from American Prospector(Gold Mining Prospecting, Mining Equipment Store, Panning for Gold / (951) 676-2555. They do online sales but also have a store front. I have bought all my detectors from these people, they have good prices and great customer service. As a matter of fact, they even beat KellyCo on my GMT and Whites is having some great promotions/incentives on their detectors right now including the GMT. Ask for Kristy or Jim, they will work with you anyway they can.....Rob

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions for the folks who have a GMT.

1). Where did you buy your GMT at? I am looking to buy within the next few weeks.

2). Is it possible to buy the GMT with the 4x6 nugget shooter coil instead of the 6X10 as the stock model? I need a coil that can fit into smaller spaces and I have read that the smaller coil helps deal with mineralization better, which is what I will encounter out in the field.

3). What kind of success have you all had with using the GMT in shallow creeks?

Thanks for the help. I am brand new to detecting, but I think this GMT should be a good tool and should be a lot of fun.

J.D.
I bought mine from my local Whites dealer. Great price, and good service. To find your local dealer, try Whites website.
White's Metal Detectors - Home

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calgeologist,

AND, here on Tnet we have sponsors who offer good prices to Tnetrs. Check out the Tnet Page Header for the sponsors......................63bkpkr

Dutch Flat like off of Hwy 80 heading to Reno?

Last edited:

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a killer-deal on mine on ebay.A Whites GMT Goldmaster with a 6x10 stock coil with protective cover. This is a "Rare Chest Mount" with also a belt clip. It has a strap I run across my shoulder and I can swing the light wand and look down at my chest to set the toggle switches, dials & see display. "A Buy Now item" All for $500.00 No Tax plus Free Shipping! I have seen some go for $299.00 to start bidding and sometimes you can bid at your savings price. 2 years ago I bid and won a Tesoro Goldensabre with 2 full discrimination/all metals modes like the present top of the line models for $180.00! a great coin machine, (Once priced for $800 new in 1980!) So ebay is a good start and ebay guarantees "No hastle/worry program". Most bid times list for a week to close bidding and you can out bid under regular price is what you have to watch.( I never pay more than 70% of regular price for used.) Presently I plan to bid low to start on a Whites 4x6 Nugget shooter or a 4x6 Eclipse nugget shooter.( It's always good to phone "Whites" Customer service to make sure the coil is compatable with the GMT some Whites "V-Sat"model MDs are not, check to be sure. I just found the coil covers do not interfere with the signal like some Minelabs which if dirty behind the cover can interfear but not the Whites KZ type, Good to know. Good luck, (I'm part Jewish and doing good), lol

OP
OP
C

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Calgeologist,

AND, here on Tnet we have sponsors who offer good prices to Tnetrs. Check out the Tnet Page Header for the sponsors......................63bkpkr

Dutch Flat like off of Hwy 80 heading to Reno?

Yeah that Dutch Flat. Used to spend a lot more time there, but live in Austin TX now while pursing my masters in geology. I have looked through many of your pictures from your backpacking trips and can say that Im pretty certain Ive wandered through a few of those same places. Absolutely incredible lands that I miss dearly now that most of my time is in Texas.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal,
Austin is a nice town, I've been there once on business and really liked it. I love sharing my hikes via pictures and yes they are mostly the NFAR but up river from Dutch Flat, even way up river. I've spent a little time on the NFMFAR but only a little.
Have you found the 500' waterfall? How about a box canyon with a 200' waterfall at the back end with lots of Native Rainbows in the pools below the main fall? Yes, lovely country and that is exactly why I still go there, even came out here when I lived in Virginia. Guess the mountains here are a hard habit to break. Of course I've had all three of my little children in there with me, started taking them when they turned four years of age, some great times with them!

Prospecting and Geology will go hand in hand and you will be way ahead of most of us as you will understand what the different types of rocks mean due to the education. Do the education..................63bkpkr

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Try to buy from a local dealer - they can help teach you how and where to use it. I have bought some detectors online (like Kellyco and Ebay), but they don't give you local support, and they tend to loose interest in you after your product is delivered. I also don't care much for BOGO type deals - they are usually not offering anything I would want (its sounds like a great deal, but I would rather get an additional coil for the detector I just bought).

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a good idea to buy from local dealers but I personally found still when you buy a tesoro MD off ebay Tesoro stands behind their detectors no matter where you bought it. They are great and you dont have to worry about NOT HAVING customer support! I own also a Whites GMT and the fine people at Whites are very happy with any questions and the bottom line, I WAS NOT LIMITED DUE TO BUYING NEW BY A DEALER. I SAVED MONEY ON MY HOBBY/INVESTMENT AND I'M AHEAD ALL THE WAY AROUND. Many Dealers forward you to the main Company anyway. I bought 2 metal detectors so far and I keep upgrading with out paying FULL PRICE PLUS THE ADDED TAX. (We shouldnt be taxed since the MD Companys paid tax on materials to build them before they sell to be taxed again,my input.) You will find no one MD does it all. It is a advantage to have diff types of fine MD's as a edge to find it all when detecting and going for the gusto. What I like and I said it before ebay guarantees your purchase, if your product does not work right, broken or you feel you paid too much for your item ebay will refund you and your postage is covered too! (If ebay seller sells broken or crap stuff they CAN lose their right to sell on ebay.) I have a 100% rating and many work at keeping the best rating, if they don't have a good rating dont do biz with them. The rating is posted by sellers name.
I am very happy putting my money on ebay metal detectors and sometimes "On Bid" I have seen fine Whites, Fisher, Minelab, Tesoro Md's go for almost half price. Thats why I got Tesoro & whites, Next I will get a Fisher or Minelab, I'm also looking at some listed custom size "Nugget Buster" coils too... It works for me, I'm very satisfied thats why I share my good fortune of my great deals, I love my Md's. "Don't sell your self short", good luck friend.

Last edited:

mthunter22

Apr 14, 2013
missoula,mt
Detector(s) used
minelab sd2100. whites gmt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just bought one off ebay but didnt get as good a deal as mentioned above i paid 600.00 for the machine with a few goodies.. still looking for a used or cheap 4x6 coil..

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i just bought one off ebay but didnt get as good a deal as mentioned above i paid 600.00 for the machine with a few goodies.. still looking for a used or cheap 4x6 coil..
Friend: As you know most items start bids at a low price and if lucky & no one counter bids you win at that price. I missed a Whites GMT Goldmaster for $429.00 till I saw one and when the bid was at $400 I contacted the seller and offered to buy now with free shipping and he agreed and set up the sale to me and I paid. I have bid $100 for a eclipse Nugget Shooter but have been over bid but another will come along and some sales close late at night which is a advantage. Still great deals are to be had. I still find my GMT for $500 w/Free shipping is still a super deal and like new. Good Luck Buddy.

mthunter22

Apr 14, 2013
missoula,mt
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you buy a used one i see some that have a blue sticker on the coil and it looks like the newer ones have a yellowish sticker, anyone know if there is a difference? or is there used ones that calgeologist and those buying used should look out for?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
197_9727.JPG You mean like these? Purchased the GMT with stock coil(white with yellow sticker) in 2007, purchased the 4x6 dd with yellow label and the Bigfoot (actually Sierra Max) later on. All stickers were what came on the coils, all coils are from White's and all coils work.........................63bkpkr

Last edited:

mthunter22

Apr 14, 2013
missoula,mt
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for some reason that stock one (the coild that is white)the sticker looks blue to me. :)
not as blue as the sticker on the big guy but a light blue..

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really! Hmm, nope. Wait, you are in Montana, you do not have smog, maybe that is where the color shift comes from?

It 'is not' a yellow yellow color, not like corn on the cob and it is a funky shade of whatever color it is, course having the tan masking tape on the two yellowish-ish decals does not help. But, these are the stock stickers directly from White's.

Ah, why is everything so complicated, I need a prospecting trip and my blankey!...................63bkpkr

Last edited:

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 784238 You mean like these? Purchased the GMT with stock coil(white with yellow sticker) in 2007, purchased the 4x6 dd with yellow label and the Bigfoot (actually Sierra Max) later on. All stickers were what came on the coils, all coils are from White's and all coils work.........................63bkpkr
You got some sweet coils goin on there bro, Thanks for sharing.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really! Hmm, nope. Wait, you are in Montana, you do not have smog, maybe that is where the color shift comes from?

It 'is not' a yellow yellow color, not like corn on the cob and it is a funky shade of whatever color it is, course having the tan masking tape on the two yellowish-ish decals does not help. But, these are the stock stickers directly from White's.

Ah, why is everything so complicated, I need a prospecting trip and my blankey!...................63bkpkr
"Erin go Braugh"!... Blarney,ya need a prospecting trip?... "Now ya brewin it my way" (Like the Irish say!) Have a merry day and if ya don't have one "Take it with a grain of salt"!

OP
OP
C

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well my brand new GMT with 4x6 shooter coil came yesterday!!! I got a pretty sweet deal on the two items and cannot wait to take it to the field. Only problem is all I want to do is mess around and use it, which makes studying for final exams really difficult to focus on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread