63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ohm value needs to be close to what the detector is built for. I've played with them at home but 1) they fall out of my ears too easily (glue maybe) 2) they did not sound as good as my other headsets 3) the wires are very small and could not make it through a prospecting trip.. BUT if I could find a pair that was held in place by an ear loop And was wireless and the ohm value was good I'd snap them up right now! If you come across the "but" situation let me know!!

My TDK wireless set are a joy to use with any of my White's but they are hot in the summer however, they sound better than my Senheisers and there are NO wires to tangle up in the brush/manzanita/scrub oak or around me when I'm detecting or trying to evade bears....................63bkpkr

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not earbuds but I just got a pair of Koss Titanium headphones, super light. I used them very briefly with my Xterra 705 and they sound great and only 17 bucks on ebay/amazon. I will be trying them in the park tomorrow. They have a volume control and come with 2 plug sizes for detector/computer use. I wanted something light and cooler in the summer.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rjsupersonic, picture please of your headset. Any idea of the ohm rating? thank you..................63bkpkr

mthunter22

Apr 14, 2013
missoula,mt
Detector(s) used
minelab sd2100. whites gmt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do the wireless ones effect the sound of the detector? i just have the factory ones that came with my 2100.. is it worth spending the extra 100 bucks to get good aftermarket ones?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mthunter,
It all depends on what a person is looking for as to whether it is worth it. The best way to determine that is to try different units out on any given machine.

Good sound reproduction is worthwhile. Variable volume on the phones themselves is good. Not having hot sweat soaked headphones is a joy. Convenience, not having to mess with wires is a joy! Wireless is a bit of a fiddle at first in that the sending unit needs some sort of mounting to the box and this can be done simply with Velcro, why do anything else.

Modern HiFi wired or wireless headphones are usually built for indoor use and may not be that solidly built. Most headphones made for detecting could almost be run over by a small tank and still survive. Some have individual volume control and maybe a stereo/mono switch and some have a boost mode. Detectors do not usually have a large range of tones so the range of HiFi Headphone is a bit wasted when the phones are used on a detector but they will respond well to any input from a detector. Really faint signals, now that is another world and boost modes are nice for that though some detectors have this built into them.

So again, it is all in what you are looking for. I have poor hearing so I need all the help I can get with a headphone. I've found my TDK wireless headphones have a tremendous output range that even with my dead ears I can hear things very well. They are Hot in the summer!!! Not having the wires is truly a real joy. So the TDK has one of the "Joy" levels covered.

Wireless ear buds with an ear loop (something to actually keep them on my head and in my ears) would be the ultimate headphone, IMO.............................63bkpkr

mthunter22

Apr 14, 2013
missoula,mt
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it seems that if we paired something like this
th (1).jpg
to something like this
th.jpg
that way you could buy any blue tooth enabled earbuds,, of which they make a bunch. and use them.. the only thing i would wonder about is will the signal from the bluetooth receiver mess up the detectors signal,just like powerlines???

Last edited:

mthunter22

Apr 14, 2013
missoula,mt
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some small wired koss ones that sell for 12.00 on amazon.
41ONhDm5uYL._AA160_.jpg
oh and the impedence is 60 ohms if that is the number you were looking for.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alas, in the writeup I found about wireless units and putting them on detectors indicated that 'some' of the bluetooth units have a time lag so when the detectorist(you, me, anyone) hears the signal the coil is no longer over the target. Not good for pinpointing. Otherwise, YES what you have pictured there would be the Perfecto combo. aka - the setup needs to be tried.

The TDK WR700 headphones I have do not use "bluetooth", it is called Kleer's wireless audio technology and it works well for the detector or stereo. In fact the response from my TDK's is better than I have from my Sennheiser wireless units (I only use the Senn's for TV/Stereo).

The wired units are nice and small, inexpensive, have the right resistance, will soak up a lot of sweat in the summer/keep ears warmer in the winter but they are wired. Since I've gone wireless I feel like I've been "set free", it is such a friendly experience to not have the wires always in the way or the headset being ripped off my head. However, there IS a Perfect setup out there, I believe this, it just needs to be found. Hang in there it looks like you are getting close................63bkpkr

Addendum:

I went to google and entered Kleer and guess what, earbuds using Kleer technology ARE available even several models and different brands. However, I did not have the nerve to look up the prices as one of the companies using Kleer for earbuds is Sennheiser and Germany don't sell for cheap. I lay the glove at your feet if you dare to look up prices. But on the Kleer site they discuss their technology including the frequency of the technology, another tid bit to throw out to folks like "Carl".

Last edited:

mthunter22

Apr 14, 2013
missoula,mt
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha ya i looked at the kleer stuff and didnt post it here because they were 500.00 dollars :)

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello calgeologist, I have been VERY happy with the AUVIO wireless digital earbuds #33-284 from Radio Shack @120$ ( I paid @60$- sale). They are the Kleer (TM) technology- and I have not noticed any lag in signal response. I added an inline volume control to the transmitter since the 'V' does not have one. The receiver also has a volume control, and by setting the inline control at @ 1/2 volume and adjusting the receiver to @ 1/4-1/3 volume you have a very acceptable level-won't blow your eardrums when your MD finds its target. The earbuds seem to me to be as sensitive/ responsive or more so than the speaker, and picks up the slightest threshold variation. HPIM1781.JPG HPIM1785.JPG

The first charging of the trans. and receiver took @ 6hrs.- but since then it has taken @ 1hr. They have stayed charged for @ 9hrs. of use ( three hunts @ 3hrs each) without recharging. After running down ( and you'll know when because they just quit- no warning) the recharge was again @ 1hr on the trans. and @ 30 min on the receiver. Each unit has a LED that goes off when fully charged.

The tech stuff is: 2.4 GHz, Kleer (TM) technology trans., Bat. life= 7hr, freq. response= 20- 20,000 Hz, sensitivity= -87dBm, impedance= 32 ohms, range= 30'

I did end up 'mounting' the transmitter to a spring tool clip which snaps onto the frame in front of the MD.
HPIM1790.JPG HPIM1796.JPG

Hope this helps- I would highly recommend these wireless buds. :icon_thumright: :headbang::headbang: And no, I do not have any affiliation with RS or Auvio. HH yelnif

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yelnif,
Very good input! Can the batteries be changed out or are they built in Rechargeable only?...................63bkpkr

So many toys, so little time...

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yelnif,
Very good input! Can the batteries be changed out or are they built in Rechargeable only?...................63bkpkr

So many toys, so little time...

Thanks 63bkpkr, Glad to help out/ share and share alike. The batteries are LI-ion rechargeable and are not replaceable. HH. yelnif

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not find those on the radioshack site. Can they be charged via usb? If so, you could add an external battery to the setup to increase your run time. The one I own is made by New Trent but there are many other makers out there.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
auferret, the charging cable is a usb 'y' type. I have been getting 8-9 hours of operating time per charge. Now, that is 4 to 5 hunting sessions- no charging in between hunts. I'll have to take a whole day sometime just to see if they will continue working for 8hrs straight. I'll check on the battery/ usb adapter- could be handy in the field if the buds ran down. I always have a spare battery for the MD just for that reason. Bad news though- it appears that the Auvio wireless earbuds (#33-284) is not available at this time- I called them.

I hate when that happens- you find a what-not that works for what-ever and they quit making it- :icon_scratch:???:BangHead:

The customer svc. rep. @ R.S. told me that the only info. she had was that they were currently not in inventory but that I might call during reg. business hrs. to see if they were discontinued or just temp. out of stock. Waiting for container ship arrival.:tongue3::laughing7::BangHead:

I hope to find out that tomorrow. If they are discontinued, then I apologize to all for recommending them. HH

yelnif

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it seems that if we paired something like this
View attachment 784441
to something like this
View attachment 784422
that way you could buy any blue tooth enabled earbuds,, of which they make a bunch. and use them.. the only thing i would wonder about is will the signal from the bluetooth receiver mess up the detectors signal,just like powerlines???

Airheadz, Whites all use Bluetooth technology, which is old. (Invented in 1948!) Also blue tooth is effected by overhead wires and underground wires, as well as other interference from other metal detectors. Which means the signal going to the headset is also effected.
(10 technologies that fail to live up to their Hype!)

It was supposed to revolutionize how our gadgets talked to each other - a low-power, short-range wireless replacement for cables, making our homes tidier and our gadgets easier to connect together. And to be fair, Bluetooth delivers on that promise, but it's not quite as clever as it could be, particularly during the early years when pairing two devices together could be a fiddly business

Despite the early hype, Bluetooth has also suffered in comparison with Wi-Fi. Why take two wireless technologies into the shower when Wi-Fi is already present in most people's homes? Manufacturers will always plump for the cheaper technology, which probably explains why today's wireless printers talk over your Wi-Fi network instead of using Bluetooth. The end result is that despite the heavy promotion, Bluetooth has found itself relegated to a niche role connecting headsets to phones and keyboards and mice to computers.

If Not Bluetooth, Then What?
You can find wireless alternatives that offer some of the same functionality as Bluetooth. Instead of a Bluetooth mouse, for example, you could use a mouse that interfaces with a radio frequency transmitter. The downside to this setup is that the RF transmitter takes up one of your computer's USB ports, and the connection requires a clear line of sight to the transmitter.

I don't have the Bluetooth Blues as my entire machine (Coil, Controller and Headphones) operated on a dedicated RF frequency and are all wireless! Eventually ALL high end metal detectors will go the way of RF and do away with wires! "Look Ma! No Wires!"

If you need to need to hear the sound around you, I suggest you use a set of Rattlers from Detector Pro. (one side is one to the outside.)

detectorprorattlers.jpg

If you're hunting for gold nuggets, then I'd suggest the Nugget Busters from Detector Pro.

DetectorPro-Nugget-Buster-Headphones.jpg

Last edited:

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies to all, the Auvio wireless earbuds are DISCONTINUED-as of 1 April, 2013. #%!%$#*^%(^&$%# RADIO SHACK anyway. Sorry HH yelnif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread