Did I make a mistake?

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the last few weeks I have been trying to find gold with my Metal Detector. I have a Whites V3i..which arguably may not be the best for prospecting. Saturday I went to a gpaa claim. I found a large rock that registered Gold. I didn't have the tools with me to break the rock down and wasn't motivated to carry to to the car. Sadly I also left my camera in the car, so I have no pictures. The rock was strange, not quartz. It was an white rock that was an round to egg shaped. it apeared to have a powdery hard outer layer. I tried smashing it with another rock and chipped a small bit off exposing what appeared to be granite. After some work I gave up trying to break the rock up. Later I found a second rock like the first that also registered gold. Did I mistake in not breaking these down? were they likely hot rock?

Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Detectors VDI are only guessing at what they are detecting based on the conductivity of the item underneath the coil. Gold is low conductivity and often reads the same as Lead, or other mineralization. Odds are good you were not finding gold. You might have encountered hot rocks (these can drive you crazy if the areaq has a lot of them). Without saving one of the rocks to show to someone else, it will be hard to say. Gold does not always occur with Quartz.

You might want to get the book 'Fists Full of Gold' by Chris Ralph (Amazon.com has it). It covers a great deal about finding gold and the conditions where/why it forms.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread