Q. Any Pros of Cons about Black Widow Headphones by Detector Pro.???

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking at the Black Widow Headphones by Detector Pro. I see they have dual Volume knobs and a toggle switch. Does any members have a good rant about them or does anyone have a short comming with one they've had. Please mention one you think is better or a pair of headphones for the price.
(Sorry to say, I never got around to a good pair yet, I think headphones will make a great difference than the "Sony" earbuds I have been using in a pinch.(Don't laughf,I know I deserve it lol), Thanks for all who send me sound advice.

Upvote 0

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pro - they work
Con - they make you look like Mickey Mouse

lots of people swear by them. I have used DetectorPro headphones, mostly good old Gray Ghosts, for going on twenty years now. I preferred Gray Ghosts as having one volume control but finally went to Nugget Buster NDTs for the dual volume control.

Also been using Sun Ray Pro Golds. Very similar to the DetectorPro phones.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've utilized good old Cal-Rad headphones,mono/stereo/dual volume control on 100s of detectors and sold 1,000s through my numerous businesses in the day. Whites/tesoro and many others still sell the original model. I have a set-actually a few sets of different models over 25 years old and still working just fine. Many friends have bought them for the new GB Pro and sure makes quite a difference. 15-135B -full ear cup for cold weather andSH-806RV for hot and rattler season as semi cupped to hear that telltale rattle. NOT expensive as under $30 and will outperform the multi $100s brands-John PS over 100 degrees the tiny monobasic Rystal 3H-1995 Stereo mylarphonic rock for function and keep ears cool too. again under $25-tried them all and always back to these tried and true units.

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used DetectorPro headphones and owned their metal detectors long before I opened my store and became a dealer.

I prefer headphones for several reasons. For the past 10+ years, my mid-range hearing is iffy as best. (I have ben diagnosed with "significant hearing loss" due to my mid-range. In fact, if you don't look at me while your talking, chances are, I won't hear you.) Headphones make it possible to hear those mid-tones from my machine. Also, when I hunt at a Park or Beach, wearing headphones cuts down on the kids following me asking, What you doing? How does that work? Can I try it mister? LOL Also when I hear a tone I want to dig, no one else hears it and come running over!

Until I got my XP DEUS, I used Gray Ghosts exclusively. A buddy got me using the Rattler and Nugget Busters. I really like those as well, from DetectorPro and used to carry all three with me.

XP Just release full sized (over the ear) wireless headphones to go along with their backphones. I will admit at having hearing problems with the backphones, so I was happy to see this. Also, we import Chefphones CP-6 & CP-6E from England (UK version of DetectorPro) for the XP DEUS. This uses the backphone controller that just snaps in and provides the person with regular wireless headphones at a lower price.

IMO, you can't go wrong with a set of DetectorPro headphones.

Calrad's and Audio 2000 headphones aren't bad, but didn't work as well with my hearing. I had a set of Killer B's too. (About the same price as DetectorPro Gray Ghosts.) They felt tight on my head. I have also tried Koss QZ-5 headphones. They are supposed to be made for race scanners and metal detectors. (1/2 price of DetectorPros.) They aren't bad, I kept loosing the adapter plug. (3.5mm to 1/4") I'll stick with my DetectorPro headphones for my 2 machines that aren't my DEUS or DetectorPro detectors. (EFX 200 & Aussie Gold Snoop) Or if I pick up any of the store detectors.

Last edited:

Oregon Bob

Greenie
May 13, 2012
S.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug 2, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Whites TDI SL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really like the Black Widow headphones. My hearing is terrible and very different comparing both ears. Having two volume controls allows me to balance the hearing. I much prefer the Black Widows to Grey Ghosts. I also have a set of Koss headphones that I consider junk.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should say that if a person is lucky enough to be near a stocking dealer the best bet is to plug them into a detector and try them. Headphones act differently on different detectors, they sound different to different people, and they fit different on different heads.

Is that enough differences for you? it is like buying a good pair of boots. You really should try them on first.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bought a set of Black Widow headphones to go with the new GB Pro, and am very
pleased with their performance. BW's are made for the hearing impaired, and they
have a very clean, crisp sound to them.

No doubt there are many good quality brands out there, so as Steve has suggested,
try a few pairs at the local detector shop and choose the ones you feel most comfortable
in, and that will do a good job for ya. If you have any hearing impairment I would
wholeheartedly recommend the Widow's, as you won't go wrong there.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the input to all. I forgot to mention, I was looking for a good pair of headphones to go with my whites GMT Goldmaster which I've had out about 12 times. I have been using a good quality pair of "Sony" ear buds which I had on hand....(Please don't laugh) trying out since it helps me search quiet & they allow me to hear snakes when as we are heading toward warm weather. I never had a pair of "Over the ear" headphones, I feel they might pick up better for small signals and I was trying to get a idea what members prefer & I don't want to throw good money with bad. Many Thanks my friends here on T-net.

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a set of Black Widow headphones to go with the new GB Pro, and am very
pleased with their performance. BW's are made for the hearing impaired, and they
have a very clean, crisp sound to them.

No doubt there are many good quality brands out there, so as Steve has suggested,
try a few pairs at the local detector shop and choose the ones you feel most comfortable
in, and that will do a good job for ya. If you have any hearing impairment I would
wholeheartedly recommend the Widow's, as you won't go wrong there.

A friend has a gold bug pro and my black widows would only work with his detector if I pulled the plug a quarter the way out. Do you have the same problem?

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was looking at the Black Widow Headphones by Detector Pro. I see they have dual Volume knobs and a toggle switch. Does any members have a good rant about them or does anyone have a short comming with one they've had. Please mention one you think is better or a pair of headphones for the price.
(Sorry to say, I never got around to a good pair yet, I think headphones will make a great difference than the "Sony" earbuds I have been using in a pinch.(Don't laughf,I know I deserve it lol), Thanks for all who send me sound advice.

Try the others for comfort and sound quality then try the Sun Ray Gold Pros, it never hurts to compare. The Sun Rays have soft leather ear muffs and are very comfortable to wear. Not to mention they block the outside noise so that you can hear the slightest sounds. These are 150 ohm headphones. The headphones are very loud and each earpiece has separate volume click adjustments allowing the users to fine tune each side. They also have a polarity switch that you may or may not need depending on your MD. I have a hearing issue thanks to a childhood accident involving an airgun that shot a wad of air about 40 feet. I was shot in the ear at about 20 feet away. So the separate volume controls and the Sun Rays being very loud I need the extra boast. Your best bet is to try them all with your MD as they all are going to sound differently, Steve said it best, "it is like buying a good pair of boots. You really should try them on first".

The new Sun Ray Pro "Gold" version yields a 26 decibel reduction in ambient noise blocking ability and continues to block that noise day in and day out, year in and year out because they stay soft and comfortable!

pic194534.jpg

SUN RAY GOLD PROS <<< LINK

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A friend has a gold bug pro and my black widows would only work with his detector if I pulled the plug a quarter the way out. Do you have the same problem?
Did you check to see if they have a polarity switch? My Sun Rays have a polarity switch and if in the wrong position the same results on my Gold Bug Pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread