Comparing Gold Detectors

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's been a lot of debate recently on the best performing gold detectors. After four or five pages of comments there's usually a general consesus to the question posed, so most of the time members are able to take away something positive that they can use. I would venture to say that the recent posts on this subject have never been better, and a lot of that has to do with the fact the selection and quality of gold detectors is excellent. On another thread somebody was saying that they had about a $2000 budget to buy a good detector, I would say that you can buy several great ones and cover all your detecting bases.

Several times, people with a lot of experience mentioned that having a PI/VLF combo is the best way to miss less gold. A PI is likely to miss sub-gram gold, and a VLF is prone to missing gold around heavy concentrations of hot rocks and black sand. So if possible, go over the ground your detecting with a PI/VLF combo, you'll cover less ground but you may not be leaving anything behind.

Here a compilation of the impressions I came away with from all the posts on the different gold detectors. This is just another thread to help people choose the detectors that they want.

FISHER: Gold Bug 2: VLF operates at 71Khz, good ratings by users. It has a purely manual ground balance, and an iron discrimination circuit. Very hot analog detector, best for shallow sub-gram even down to grain wt gold. Not really a deep seeking detector because highly minerlized ground interacts with the extremely high gain of the circutry and limits depth, in extreme cases the GB 2 won't ground balance if the minerlization is too high. But, this same high gain allows this to be the best detector for shallow, small nuggets. Considered to be a good companion detector with a Pulse Induction, Whites GMT or any other VLF, but the GMT was specificlly mentioned. The GB2 was especially considered to be a good second detector with a PI unit like a Minelab, or a Whites TDI, because the PI units are notorious for missing sub-gram, and wire gold. The GB2 has no problem with these types of gold.

Gold Bug Pro: VLF operates at 19Khz, good ratings by users. It has a manual ground balance and a "Ground Grab" button the ground balances the machine with one push, as well as a display that measures various ground conditions. Very good all around, software driven, gold detector. Not considered a deep seeking detector, but a very good medium to shallow nugget machine. Users that only own this detector really like it, and don't feel like the GBPro is lacking anything to allow them to find gold. Some users that own the GBPro along with several other detectors tend, to look at the GBPro as a secondary detector because they feel other detectors do specific things better.

WHITES: MXT/MXT Pro: VLF operates at 14Khz, excellent ratings by users. Seen as the classic all around detector that does everything really well. It has an auto tracking and a "Ground Grab" button, and a display that shows specific information for each mode. Both versions of the MXT have three complete seperate programs, coin & jewelry, relic, and prospecting. The MXT Pro has had several updates one of which was to the prospecting mode. Whites added an iron "grunt" that indicates an 80% probability of iron. The circutry for the MXT prospecting mode was orginally derrived from the GMT, so the ability of the MXT approaches the GMT and the GB 2, but doesn't quite arrive. Users say that the MXT doesn't generally find as small gold as the GMT and the GB 2, but several have said that it will, but the operator has to work harder. The nugget size differences are so small and only noticed after a lot of comparison between the results of the three detectors. The MXT has found a lot of gold and will continue for years to come, especially since Whites just updated it.

GMT: VLF operates at 48Khz, and was given the highest ratings by all serious users. The GMT has the best of all worlds for ground balance. It has a manual ground balance, an auto tracking mode, a "lock" switch that locks the ground balance, and a "Grab" button to instantly set the ground balance while in manual or auto tracking. If the MXT is seen as the classic all around detector, the GMT is definately in that catagory for gold prospecting machines. The GMT is the fifth version of the Goldmaster series, and it's the best. Built just for gold prospecting, it's packed with features that undoubtedly make it a professional level detector, but the beginner can pick it up and be prospecting in 5 minutes. A unique feature in the GMT is the Variable Self Adjusting Threshold(VSAT), it's the only metal detector with that peticular feature. All serious user's find this feature especially useful. It allows the user to adjust the auto retune speed to match the soil conditions, very slow in mild condition with few signals to detect deeper. All the way up to ultra fast for use in trashy, hot rock, or cold stone infested conditions. This allows the GMT to reset itself for the next target before it passes over, and misses a target in the process. The GMT will detect down to Grain wt nuggets just like the GB 2, but user's have said the GMT will go deeper. The GB 2 will detect smaller nuggets, but the GMT make's up for that by going deeper. For this reason it's not a bad idea to own the GMT and the GB 2, so you can cover your bases shallow and deep. Another unique feature is the "iron analyzer". When you get a target your not sure about, in this mode, successive passes over the target allow the computer to decide what probability percentage that it thinks the target is iron and it shows the result on a graph on the display.

Tesoro Lobo Super Traq: A VLF that operates 17.8Khz with very high ratings from all users. A very high quality detector that always seems to work in all conditions. It has an auto tracking ground balance that does it's job perfectly. It has three operating modes, all metal(fast auto tune) , discriminate, and pinpoint. Seen by many user's as very versitile, as it will do great coin and jewerly hunting in the park as well as the gold fields. Being fully adjustable, it also has a soil condition switch, so you can go from "normal" to 'alkali" to "black sand". Two things that were impotant to me about the LST when I bought it was the lifetime warrantee and the nine coil selection that work on four different tesoro detectors. The LST will easily find sub-gram gold using the stock 10" elliptical coil, and will do even better using the concentric and the DD 5 3/4" coils.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here a compilation of the impressions I came away with from all the posts on the different gold detectors. This is just another thread to help people choose the detectors that they want.

Nuggetshooter323... I think you've done an excellent VLF unit summary and these reflect my own impressions derived from reading many posts to this board. :icon_thumleft:

If I had to choose for small gold hunting, my foremost choice would be the GMT... call it a personal preference. For general prospecting applications here in Ontario... silver, copper, nickel and base metals my VLF choice would include a mid-frequency VLF unit. As you've noted, VLF used in conjunction with a suitable ground-balancing PI unit as search conditions dictate.

Jim.

OP
OP
nuggetshooter323

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim,
The GMT is my favorite also. I spend a lot of time detecting mine tailings in Leadville, CO. The mine I go to is actually one of the few gold mines in the middle of silver country. What I like about this mine besides the gold, is the extremely rich minerlization, so quiet often I come home with chunks of copper the size of grapefruit, not very much silver because I'm sure the miners were probably extracting the silver with the gold.

I wish I could have talked about the PI's more, but I'm trying to decide between the TDI SL and the Infinium and I really don't think I have much to contribute to the conversation since I really haven't used one yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nuggetshooter323

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm considering going swimming in the Arkansas River this summer. I think there were nuggets missed by the dredges decades ago, so that's the reason I was considering the Infinuim.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nuggetshooter323... if water is in your plans... Infinium is an obvious PI choice. I like its performance with an elevated threshold setting. I think you'll be satisfied with the 8" mono for nugget hunting... if the nuggets are sufficient size to respond. It is not the deepest seeking unit on the market but with an elevated threshold it will match my TDI Pro for depth / sens over a wide range of nugget size. But still... I don't think either unit is terribly practical on nuggets less than a gram or so... especially "character" nuggets are easily missed. Sure it will get nuggets slightly less than a half-gram but the question is how many similar size pieces will it overlook. As you know... the best approach to acquiring improved PI sensitivity / depth is slow your sweep speed way down... it does make a marked difference.

So what I'm suggesting to you is that if waterproof is necessary, ground minerals are not overly tough, and small gold at less than a gram or so is predominant... perhaps you should also consider the AT Gold as an alternative or back-up unit for underwater work. Even here in ground that is on the higher side of moderately tough, my mid-frequency VLF units produce more discrete, cleaner signals over anything under a gram... regardless of depth. And they cover ground much more quickly if that is an important consideration.

Now, to place a perspective on the above comments, neither the Infinium or TDI Pro properly ground-balanced to my ground offer deeperseeking capability compared to my MXT or especially F75 on anything other than deep coin-size and larger targets. Even then its a very close thing with the F75. So while not wanting to sound like a "know-it-all", the best I can do is give you my overall experience / impressions with such units here.

Jim.

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ken Nealy and I just gave a talk Tuesday night to our Metal Detecting club on Gold Prospecting.

Here's the list I had assembled for the talk:

Gold Metal Detectors ​
Minelab:
GPX 5000 (PI)
GPX 4800 (PI)
Eureka Gold (VLF w/variable frequency)
X-Terra 705 Gold Pack (18.75 kHz - variable frequency)

Whites:
TDI SL (PI)
TDI Pro (PI)
GMZ (VLF)
GMT (VLF)
MXT Pro (VLF)
White's Spectra V3i (Multi-frequency)

Fisher:
T2 (VLF)
Gold Bug PRO (VLF)
Gold Bug II (VLF)
F75 SE (VLF)

Garrett:
Infinium LS (PI)
AT Gold ( VLF)
Scorpion Gold Stinger (VLF Discontinued?)

Tesoro:
Vaquero (VLF)
Lobo Super Traq (VLF)

XP Detectors:
DEUS (Version 3)

Falcon:
MD20 (Pin Pointer)

Due to time constraints I didn't get into cost or frequencies.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome post nuggetshooter!

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr. Nuggetshooter323: Boy, you got the bases covered! Kudos to you and thank you for a professional job on the reviews.
I am sure many newbees will be salivating over the facts. Good luck froend on your journeys.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim,
The GMT is my favorite also. I spend a lot of time detecting mine tailings in Leadville, CO. The mine I go to is actually one of the few gold mines in the middle of silver country. What I like about this mine besides the gold, is the extremely rich minerlization, so quiet often I come home with chunks of copper the size of grapefruit, not very much silver because I'm sure the miners were probably extracting the silver with the gold.

I wish I could have talked about the PI's more, but I'm trying to decide between the TDI SL and the Infinium and I really don't think I have much to contribute to the conversation since I really haven't used one yet.

TDI SL if you can afford it... I WISH they were stable down here in Aus, sadly they freak out when they hit the ironstone down here.. but in the more neutral areas it was a beast...

OP
OP
nuggetshooter323

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
TDI SL if you can afford it... I WISH they were stable down here in Aus, sadly they freak out when they hit the ironstone down here.. but in the more neutral areas it was a beast...

For the underwater detecting in the river I thought that I was going to go with a PI, after what Jim said I can get a waterproof VLF and find more nuggets. So if I go for the AT Gold or a Tesoro Tiger Shark for the water, I'll have enough left over to get a TDI SL. The waterproof VLF and the TDI SL are about what the Infinium and all the coils, lower poles, and the carbon fiber Anderson Shaft were going to cost. Now I just have to decide between the AT Gold or the Tiger Shark.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The waterproof VLF and the TDI SL are about what the Infinium and all the coils, lower poles, and the carbon fiber Anderson Shaft were going to cost. Now I just have to decide between the AT Gold or the Tiger Shark.

Good point about the Infinium accessories… particularly the stem replacement Nuggestshooter323…

When Infinium first arrived and was unwrapped I was dismayed with the stem assembly. Once assembled and noting the wobbly stem… my first reaction was how on earth could anyone supply such a ridiculous configuration. True… some people do dive with it but I suspect far more use it in the conventional long-stem set-up for either beach, shallow water, or prospecting applications. And the overall balance was horrific…

Long story short… I reconfigured the unit with the addition of some aluminum tent poles inserted appropriately, drilled the necessary holes and used quarter-inch steel bolt / nuts to firmly secure both the stem and relocate the instrument package further back behind the elbow to improve the balance.

Not happy with the overall additional weight used to remedy the stem wobble, I purchased an Andersen shaft to the tune of $165 dollars delivered to my door… perhaps it might cost less south of the border. None of this should have been necessary… Garrett should supply a regular length stem… and a short diving stem possibly as an accessory item. Below are two photos to illustrate the final results.

INFINIUM MODIFIED ORIGINAL MOUNT 2.JPG

iNFINIUM ANDERSEN STEM MOUNT.JPG

The coils are reasonably priced but there is no coil cover available from Garrett for the very popular 8” mono loop. I saw early on that these coils chip and crack very easily when lightly smacked against rocks. I do like the ease and convenience of using the eight “AA” battery pack that provides a full day of detecting. And Infinium is simple / easy to run with a minimum of control adjustments.

With that said Nuggetshooter323… I went to the trouble of adapting this unit because it served its primary purpose of dealing with bad ground very well, and even more important in our silverfields… equipped with either mono coil it proved a superior unit for working high conductive (usually elongated… nails, spikes, and drill rods) iron at very good depth.

Otherwise I would have sent it right back to Garrett with a note inquiring about providing a proper stem for the unit… and probably should have sent the note anyway.

The AT Gold should save you some unnecessary digging of shallow, small iron with its iron-roll tone… no comment on the Tiger Shark… never used it.

Jim.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One option that is available (if you search for it) but not on the "consumer market" is the Minelab F3. It's a PI detector using the tech of the older GPX gold series, but it's also waterproof to 10 feet so rain, splashes, or the accidental dunk won't hurt it.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the coil used on the SL the factory dual field coil? If so, did you try a plain mono? I would think it would be less sensitive to the ironstone.

Reg

OP
OP
nuggetshooter323

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good point about the Infinium accessories… particularly the stem replacement Nuggestshooter323…

When Infinium first arrived and was unwrapped I was dismayed with the stem assembly. Once assembled and noting the wobbly stem… my first reaction was how on earth could anyone supply such a ridiculous configuration. True… some people do dive with it but I suspect far more use it in the conventional long-stem set-up for either beach, shallow water, or prospecting applications. And the overall balance was horrific…

Long story short… I reconfigured the unit with the addition of some aluminum tent poles inserted appropriately, drilled the necessary holes and used quarter-inch steel bolt / nuts to firmly secure both the stem and relocate the instrument package further back behind the elbow to improve the balance.

Not happy with the overall additional weight used to remedy the stem wobble, I purchased an Andersen shaft to the tune of $165 dollars delivered to my door… perhaps it might cost less south of the border. None of this should have been necessary… Garrett should supply a regular length stem… and a short diving stem possibly as an accessory item. Below are two photos to illustrate the final results.

The coils are reasonably priced but there is no coil cover available from Garrett for the very popular 8” mono loop. I saw early on that these coils chip and crack very easily when lightly smacked against rocks. I do like the ease and convenience of using the eight “AA” battery pack that provides a full day of detecting. And Infinium is simple / easy to run with a minimum of control adjustments.

With that said Nuggetshooter323… I went to the trouble of adapting this unit because it served its primary purpose of dealing with bad ground very well, and even more important in our silverfields… equipped with either mono coil it proved a superior unit for working high conductive (usually elongated… nails, spikes, and drill rods) iron at very good depth.

Otherwise I would have sent it right back to Garrett with a note inquiring about providing a proper stem for the unit… and probably should have sent the note anyway.

The AT Gold should save you some unnecessary digging of shallow, small iron with its iron-roll tone… no comment on the Tiger Shark… never used it.

Jim.

Jim,
Pretty much everywhere I've read user comments on the Infinium, several people always complain about the factory stem. The regular Anderson shaft is still what you paid, and the carbon fiber model is $199. For future reference, if you ever need another one, a guy on ebay makes replacement shafts assemblys for a large variaty of detectors for $75. He uses stainless fittings and aluminium tubing, they look really well done. I had totally forgot about him until I was just reading your post.

OP
OP
nuggetshooter323

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One option that is available (if you search for it) but not on the "consumer market" is the Minelab F3. It's a PI detector using the tech of the older GPX gold series, but it's also waterproof to 10 feet so rain, splashes, or the accidental dunk won't hurt it.

I had seen this mentioned somewhere, but I haven't seen one for sale yet. I'll keep my eye's open.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one, but I haven't had the chance to do anything more than play around with it in my backyard.

Oye

Greenie
Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab:
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]GPX 5000 (PI)
GPX 4800 (PI)
Eureka Gold (VLF w/variable frequency)
X-Terra 705 Gold Pack (18.75 kHz - variable frequency)

Whites:
TDI SL (PI)
TDI Pro (PI)
GMZ (VLF)
GMT (VLF)
MXT Pro (VLF)
White's Spectra V3i (Multi-frequency)

Fisher:
T2 (VLF)
Gold Bug PRO (VLF)
Gold Bug II (VLF)
F75 SE (VLF)

Garrett:
Infinium LS (PI)
AT Gold ( VLF)
If you could place all these in numerical order how would it look like? And is Minelab Eureka Gold
better han some Minelab SD or GP models? How does it compare to the GPX 4500?

When you consider this remember than the Eureka can actually mount this coil:
http://www.minelab.com/emea/products/consumer/accessories/coils/11-round-goldsearch-coil

Since this coil is quite big one could think it could just find medium and larger, but not small gold. However you can probably just switch to 60 kHz and still find tiny bits of gold deep in the ground.

Eureka is also resistant to mineralized soil, so it even works well in highly mineralized ground..

To me, Eureka seem brilliant, but I dont know.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread