nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all,
Eager to get out after finding my first nugget with this detector, late last week in the midst of triple digit heat I took to my bike again. A few miles north of that find, I located a stretch of tailings heaps along a shallow gulch; evidently the site of an old ground sluicing operation similar to many others I've detected in this area of Northern California. I stopped to flip through my stack of area maps to make an often difficult determination of land status, but the choppy yellow on the BLM spread assured me that I was indeed on public land. So, I stashed my bike and followed the workings about a quarter-mile uphill to where it looked like the miners had left off. The manzanita was sparse so I didn't have to crawl, the tan metavolcanic bedrock was shallow, and there was no evidence of anyone having detected this spot. Thus, I donned my headphones, ground balanced to 66.7 and began...
Midday cumulus clouds hung motionless over the nearby mountains, refusing me a much needed shade and I was left to continue soaking in my green polyester shirt which by now had sun bleached to a mottled brown. Nevertheless, a couple of hours later and a pocketful of lead richer, I got yet another lead signal. Figuring it was just more birdshot, I slumped to my knees with my little plastic shovel and started skimming off the surface, dumping it onto the coil. The detector "zipped," and I brushed away the dust to where only a lump of clay remained. Anxious to get back to detecting I quickly began rolling the dirty clod in my fingers, ready to plunk it into my pocket with the rest of the lead. However, the flakes of dry clay shed away and from this once lackluster lump it looked as if the sun smiled up at me... Gold!
I didn't find anymore pieces that day but I returned for several straight days and have snagged a total of 12 pieces. Each day I recognized fainter signals and found smaller and deeper gold.
The pieces are rough; several have quartz and iron host rock intact, unlike the smooth stuff I've panned. Finds ranged at depths of .5 to 3 inches and sat atop a thick orange clay, particularly along the edges of newly formed washes where debris could accumulate. The patch is small, encompassing about 400 square feet, and from all observations appears to be an island of elevated bedrock. Around it, the bedrock dips to at least a foot below the surface; too deep for my detector. I know this patch isn't dry yet and I'm tempted to dig down a bit, but adding a shovel to my bikeload on a 29 mile round trip is sketchy.
I started focusing more on the tones than the display and figured out some techniques with the GB Pro to find some tiny pieces. I'll have to revisit some of the places I detected before I knew how to use this machine. Of all the experimenting I've done with this detector, it seems like the only way I've learned how to find gold with it is by actually finding some. Anyone know what I mean?

Below: the patch, the clay with embedded quartz, the gold

PIC_0101.JPG PIC_0118.JPG PIC_0084.JPG

Upvote 0

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here you go Taternut, locations and gold from Redding, Ca. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Attachments

• tn5.jpg
    tn5.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 277
  • tn4.jpeg
    tn4.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 198
  • tn3.jpeg
    tn3.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 205
  • tn2.jpeg
    tn2.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 238
  • tn1.jpeg
    tn1.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 229
  • tn10.jpg
    tn10.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 258
  • tn9.jpg
    tn9.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 253
  • tn8.jpg
    tn8.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 233
  • tn7.jpg
    tn7.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 249
  • tn6.jpg
    tn6.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 216
  • tn12.jpg
    tn12.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 257
  • tn13.jpg
    tn13.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 205
  • tn14.jpg
    tn14.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 241
  • tn15.jpg
    tn15.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 306
  • tn16.jpg
    tn16.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 256
  • tn21.jpg
    tn21.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 239
  • tn20.jpg
    tn20.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 227
  • tn19.jpg
    tn19.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 257
  • tn18.jpg
    tn18.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 226
  • tn17.jpg
    tn17.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 264
  • tn22.jpg
    tn22.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 215
  • tn23.jpg
    tn23.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 252
  • tn24.jpg
    tn24.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 222
  • tn25.jpg
    tn25.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 186
  • tn26.jpg
    tn26.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 211
  • tn31.jpg
    tn31.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 183
  • tn30.jpg
    tn30.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 212
  • tn29.jpg
    tn29.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 188
  • tn28.jpeg
    tn28.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 184
  • tn27.jpg
    tn27.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 178
  • tn32.jpg
    tn32.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 198
  • tn33.jpg
    tn33.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 182
  • tn34.jpg
    tn34.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 212

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ray, I've yet to find gold with my GBPro, but pics like that are what
keep me going out the door and swinging that coil all day! (not many
nuggets around my area, so it's tough hunting)

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ray, I've yet to find gold with my GBPro, but pics like that are what
keep me going out the door and swinging that coil all day! (not many
nuggets around my area, so it's tough hunting)

From what I've read about the Concrete, WA gold (just now) yay google!.. You've got a good chance of getting a nice nugget..

It's all about putting yourself in the right location, and the coil over that nice little nugget.

And TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Awesome photos mate!

OP
OP
nuggeteer

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey trinityau,
Thanks for the advice! I'm beginning to notice the patterns you are talking about. You're right, many of the spots I've detected have similar features where the miners zigzagged in the direction of the pocket and left trenches with tailings on either side in their wake. These trench walls, and the escarpments at the trench terminals always look like good detecting, but they are often too deep for this detector. It's pretty disappointing to spend so much time and effort finding these places just to realize that the gold is just out of reach. I recently placed a bid on ebay for the GP3000 but lost, so I'll keep looking.

OP
OP
nuggeteer

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I will second Ray's experience with the GBPro, I have really grown to like the 10" elliptical. Just started using it this season and find that it is a great combo of size and sensitivity. Very easy to pinpoint and recover items with the tip of the coil. Keep up the good work man, sweet chunky little nuggs!

IDdesertman,
Thanks, I've been considering getting the 10 inch coil so your input is really appreciated.

Great find Nuggeteer,
Now you need to get a 5000 and you will be surprised what you missed.
Hire one if you cannot afford one.

Well done and keep up the good work.

Cheers....Tonkalong

Hi Tonkalong,
I bet I've missed a lot. I nearly bought the 5000 a few months ago. I might be mistaken, but I read somewhere that a 5500 is due soon.??

I'm from redding I want to know a place like that! I've only found small flakes panning!

taternut,
Try the Swasey Recreation Area. It's managed by the BLM, and it's a popular place to prospect. I panned there earlier this year and found a couple little pickers. The whole area has been ground sluiced, but there are remnants of a red/yellow clay layer over the bedrock that still has gold. The area is one of critical environmental concern, so remember to fill in your holes. Maybe we can meet up and go panning sometime.??

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool pics Ray

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Taternutt, if you hunt that Swasey Rec area and find a mens size 11 1/2? wedding band up on a ridge, I'd buy it from you. Lost it many many years ago from my pocket. It'd be a fat chance of finding, but could give you an incentive ;-)
Shep

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Taternutt, if you hunt that Swasey Rec area and find a mens size 11 1/2? wedding band up on a ridge, I'd buy it from you. Lost it many many years ago from my pocket. It'd be a fat chance of finding, but could give you an incentive ;-)
Shep

Haha if I go out there ill keep an eye out, I don't have a metal detector but if I can find someone to trade a 3"dredge for one I might ;) but I thought swasy was only seasonal prospecting when there's water in the creek???

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang, trinity, those are some really gnarly pieces of gold!

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went out to the Stoney Gulch trailhead today and played around with the Goldmonster 1000. No luck but got a couple more hours of practice on the machine. Has anyone gotten any gold out of that section of hillside?

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hats off to you, nice nugs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread