Headphones for Gold?

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any suggestions on the best headphones to use on a Gold Bug SE/Pro when hunting nuggets would be appreciated. I just got the Gold Bug a couple days ago and then bought a 5"x10" DD coil that should be here Monday. Was this a good coil choice for it? Is it better than the 5" round one it comes with for nuggets? Any and all advice, help, tips, welcome.

Upvote 0

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can't go wrong with SunRay Gold Pro headphones. This is what I have for my Gold Bug Pro. They have leather ear cushions and are very comfortable to wear. Independant volume control for each ear piece, polarity switch,

SUN_RAY_PRO_GOLD_-_CUP_SIDE_-_ORIGINAL.jpg

(NOTE: LIMITER - left switch - ON is Down position - OFF is Up position. Mode (detector compatibility) - right switch.)

Sun Ray Detector Electronics is proud to introduce our new Sun Ray Pro "Gold" Headphones. We decided to offer a high quality set of professional headphones without the highest price! Plus we have now added even more new features making these the premier metal detector headphones on the market today!! The Sun Ray Pro "Gold" version are manufactured according to the following specifications:

High output 150 ohm (nominal impedance) speaker elements which are certified as hearing aid compatible and are sensitive enough to pick up even the faintest of signals. Aluminum case construction with polymer cones for moisture and sweat protection.

Dual multi position "segmented or detent" volume controls with NEW BLACK & YELLOW KNOBS for that "Sun Ray" look!.

"New" Enhanced Limiter Circuit with on/off switch (left side). (For more pronounced reduction in loud blasts from surface targets, while allowing the faintest of signal responses to be clearly heard. Limiter results will vary from one detector model to another.)

Mode selector switch (right side) makes the new Sun Ray Pros compatible with most metal detectors.

NEW TOGGLE SWITCH BOOTS keep moisture and dirt out of toggle switches!

"New" comfortable, lightweight dual swivel point ear cups with all "new" soft leather muffs.

The new foam padded soft leather muffs are not only more comfortable than the earlier vinyl muffs, they do not develop a "memory". They conform to the shape of your head around your ears when worn and when taken off return to their original shape! Vinyl which normally has a life expectancy of (3) three years can get harder with time and the elements, which can cause a less comfortable fit as well as a noticeable increase in ambient (outside) noise. The former version of the Sun Ray Pros yield a 24 decibel reduction in ambient noise blocking ability when new. The new Sun Ray Pro "Gold" version yields a 26 decibel reduction in ambient noise blocking ability and continues to block that noise day in and day out, year in and year out because they stay soft and comfortable!

Adjustable leather headband.

NEW!! Custom engineered coil cable for more dependability and longer life! Here are some of the new features of the new cable:

New polyureathane jacket for better memory retention of coils vs. the previous PVC cable!

More than 3X the number of copper strands (than previous cable) for more resistance to breakage!

New cable coil is 20" retracted vs 13" on previous cable.

Overall length of new cable is 32". Extended length approx. 18" longer than previous cable!

New "multidirectional" strain relief flex vs 2 directional on previous cable!

New cable jacket inserts fully into 1/4" molded, right angle plug vs previous cable.

EXTERNAL STRAIN RELIEF and 1/4" right angle, molded GOLD PLATED PLUG!

The new Sun Ray Pros

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal Rad 15-135B-as sold by whites and tesoro for over 30 years. Mono/stereo,dual volume control for bad ears,fastest response and crisp deep signals-less that $35 and know of a half dozens friends using GBPro and dozens GB2 and TLST. Good reliable and NOT expensive bs. I have a pair that I lend out for free that's over 30 years old and NEVER a single person who didn't buy a pair instead of the hyped high priced spread-John

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. The Cal Rad is what i have now. Just wondered if there was a brand that might work even better.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Killer B's.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had cheap ones, I've had/have expensive ones and I have a wireless pair and this means that ALL/any corded head sets are now left at home. Going wireless is a joy! They are still not cheap but the convenience they offer well it just beats the heck out of having the dang cord in the way all the time and always snagging on everything (which is why all the heavy duty strain reliefs on them).

My go to set is now the 198_9869.JPG TDK's pictured here. I purchased them at newegg (search for coupon's) and they work, they work, they work. Velcro is used to keep the sender (plugs into the detector box) attached to the box and up and out of harms way. All over the ear head sets are HOT in the summer so dry them out every chance you have. Best of success...............................63bkpkr

A3TresHunter-NJ

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an Audio pro 20+ years... Most humans hear between 20Hertz and 20,000Hertz with most speach between 400-8,000..Some gifted people can hear some below 20 and some above 20k. No matter the quality on the packaging will be a listing of the hertz frequency chart of the headphones(well most). No matter what you are looking for for music, audio, metal detection follow this guidline. Again look to see that they do 20-20,000hertz(20-20khertz). Make sure it has the frequency chart on the packaging. For better the chart will have a line of the frequency range... almost like a little mountainhat you want is that all the frequencies have an even line across the board so should look as close as possible from left (20hertz) to right (20,000hertz) as straight as line as possible.... Now way we here and equipment works low end frequencies(20hertz) and high end(20,000hertz) ranges will usually be a little lower curving the line(fyi this is called the bell curve) the lower you have you volume the more these low end high end frequencies will be harder to hear...Turning up your volume will make all frequencies get closer to sounding at the same volume and easier to hear. Again since our brains are tuned for mid frequencies(do to speech) is why these low/high end frequencies get filtered/lowered by your brain. Sorry getting long winded.

Now compare headphone packages....Don't grab any that don't have 20-20,000heartz (some may only goto 16,000 hertz)...compare the frequency chart...pick the ones that the low/high end frequencies hold up relatively to the same volume as the middle of the chart frequencies.

You'll be surprised that a $20 pair of headphones may outperform a $200 pair. Though higher costs also go into wear and tear... You can get a decent pair of sony's for around $80.

Also, bonus to look for is if they frequency ranger is larger say 16hertz to 24k or 25k heartz....reason being is there will be less distortion for higher pitch tones plus you may be one of the gifted that can hear over 20k hertz...I new some old farts at Sony that could hear those extra range...it's very impressive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread