First metal detector!

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My gold bug pro just came in the mail! Excitedly I opened the box and got it all set up! I just started reading the manual and it's somewhat difficult to understand for me (a rookie). Then I set the manual down and start thinking I'm ready to go out and give it a shot! Then I look at the clock and notice I have to work in about an hour, what a buzzkill :(

Upvote 0

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Bug. Not that much to it. Just turn it on and set the gain at about 12 o'clock and set the threshold to where you can Just hear it, push in the GB button and pump it up and down a few times from the ground up about 6"-8" until the noise stays the same and the Ground Phase and Ground Balance numbers are the same or close to it. This is for the all metal mode. Then if you want to hunt in disc. mode turn the Disc/threshold knob back to the bottom(disc mode) and set the disc level with the + and - touch pads.

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on the Bug. Not that much to it. Just turn it on and set the gain at about 12 o'clock and set the threshold to where you can Just hear it, push in the GB button and pump it up and down a few times from the ground up about 6"-8" until the noise stays the same and the Ground Phase and Ground Balance numbers are the same or close to it. This is for the all metal mode. Then if you want to hunt in disc. mode turn the Disc/threshold knob back to the bottom(disc mode) and set the disc level with the + and - touch pads.

Is there a big difference in disc/all metal mode for gold? All the videos I've been watching keep saying all metal for relic hunting.

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use disc for gold you may miss a lot of small gold even with the disc all the way down. If you are hunting Just for gold i would recommend All Metal and then when you get a target you can switch over to disc to check it out. Also, The FeO2 bars on the left side will give you an idea if it is an iron target.

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay ill start in all metal mode then :) what would be a good way for me to get started? Just start in my back yard n see what I can find? Lol

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Taternut, you have my phone number, give me a call and I will see what time I can get and we will get you out and show you a few places you can start to learn at. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Taternut, you have my phone number, give me a call and I will see what time I can get and we will get you out and show you a few places you can start to learn at. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Haha I just emailed you, sounds good! I have Monday-Wednesday off and my schedule before that is pretty messed up (as usual)

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome! Congrats mate.

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found a 1.1 gram nugget my first trip out with my GBP last mo. As soon as the desert cools some im going hunting .

I'm hoping I have luck like that! I've gotten skunked almost everytime I've gone out prospecting maybe this will be my thing ;)

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
taternut,
Good decision! I'm certain that you'll find gold with it. Maybe we'll run into eachother out in the field.

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
taternut,
Good decision! I'm certain that you'll find gold with it. Maybe we'll run into eachother out in the field.

I'm hoping so, I'm very excited to use it! If you want to meet up and go searching sometime message me your number!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread