Where is the best place to fine gold nuggets metal detecting in the east coast

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Out of curiosity can you metal detect pretty much any where? Except someone's claim of course. But I saw someone detecting at a local park. And my friend said he does good in play grounds finding loose change. And for gold is it pretty much just blm or forestry land??

Hey Taternut.

As for metal detecting, you've got to do a little homework. But not too much.

Check any posted rules at the park entrance. Or check online before venturing out.

If metal detecting is not specifically prohibited, then go for it.

Do not go one step further and contact the city clerk, police, etc. Because they don't know and will find a way to tell you, "no".

Also, beaches ... a lot of fun. Another way to find gold. Notice when people come out of the surf, they naturally shake out their wet hands. Fingers shrivel a bit from the cooler water. Bye, bye bling from the finger. Learn to read the beach for the treasure line -- where the heavies fall. Awesome stuff.

And as for the raw gold ... for me I joined a good club which has claims. And I live in the canyons -- and when I need a quick fix -- I go play where the roads are cut thru the hills. As I stand in front of a wall of layered dirt, I thank the civil engineers that dug ... down ... 30 feet ... for me.

Traffic is slow on these boards due to the holiday. You'll prolly get some more responses, better tips, when folks return.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I enjoy swinging through the deserts in the winter.Lots of public land, few people and beautiful weather. There is a book" Finding Gold in the Desert" and that is a good place to start. Northern Nevada may me closest to you, been hit hard by GPX's but should still be lots of crumbs left over for the GMT or GB PRO. I believe all the PIs still have a difficult time picking up the small quartz/gold specimens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So it's pretty much a go ahead if its not posted? And as long as I fill in my holes?

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
taternut,
In our area, except for the National Recreation Areas, FS land is open to detecting. BLM and Bureau of Reclamation land is open. The Horsetown-Clear Creek Preserve is closed to metal detecting. As midnightmoon mentioned, be aware that people who don't know the law will sometimes automatically default to "no." I had this problem with the FS several months ago, so you might need to talk to a few different people. There is no law specifically prohibiting the use of metal detectors in public parks in our area, just fill in the holes and replace the grass plugs on top when you are finished. There are active claims on both BLM and FS land which you can look up at the county administrative building. I did this and recently got permission to detect on a large claim. Lastly, don't detect on private land without the owner's consent.
When you go out, always bring a land status map with you and pay attention to where you are.

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
taternut,
In our area, except for the National Recreation Areas, FS land is open to detecting. BLM and Bureau of Reclamation land is open. The Horsetown-Clear Creek Preserve is closed to metal detecting. As midnightmoon mentioned, be aware that people who don't know the law will sometimes automatically default to "no." I had this problem with the FS several months ago, so you might need to talk to a few different people. There is no law specifically prohibiting the use of metal detectors in public parks in our area, just fill in the holes and replace the grass plugs on top when you are finished. There are active claims on both BLM and FS land which you can look up at the county administrative building. I did this and recently got permission to detect on a large claim. Lastly, don't detect on private land without the owner's consent.
When you go out, always bring a land status map with you and pay attention to where you are.

Really clear creek is closed? Or just up by horse town? Where can I get a land status map?? Maybe ill just stick to swasy for a while lol

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Really clear creek is closed? Or just up by horse town? Where can I get a land status map?? Maybe ill just stick to swasy for a while lol

The "Horsetown-Clear Creek Preserve" is a 27-acre recreation area along Clear Creek. Go to the BLM headquarters and buy the $3 map called "Surface Management Status 2005." They have many free maps as well.

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Taternut, I am off Sunday and going out detecting. Call me or PM me if you want to go. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Taternut, I am off Sunday and going out detecting. Call me or PM me if you want to go. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

I work 12-10 :/ I think I'm going to just go up to swasy on Monday to try it out. Also I have a bunch of dredge equipment and a guy wants to trade my 10hp pump + hoses for a garret ultra gta 1000. From what I've read it's an older machine but it comes with headphones, a carrying bag, and a deep seeking coil. And I'm only asking 600 for the while dredge. I think I might do it so I have an extra so I can take friends out as well, plus free up some space in my garage ;)

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice offer Trinityau! Would love to get up there some day and get some pearls of wisdom from one of the best! So many knobs on the VSAT! Lol

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice offer Trinityau! Would love to get up there some day and get some pearls of wisdom from one of the best! So many knobs on the VSAT! Lol

I know! He's offered a couple of times but I work so often it's hard to get out in the field :/

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
let him know when you're available and take him out to breakfast lunch and dinner haha

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you get an invite from trinityau, I would highly recommend calling in sick.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know! He's offered a couple of times but I work so often it's hard to get out in the field :/

Perfectly understandable. However I suggest that you do your utmost to schedule some time with Trinityau / Ray Mills as soon as mutually convenient. Ray is offering you a rare opportunity in the field to benefit from his nugget hunting expertise. That experience should be a tremendous help getting you off to a successful start in the hobby.

Jim.

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I went out for about an hour and a half it got pretty hot because the sun was right above me. I didn't have any luck with anything in the dry creek bed except hit rocks, I found a lot of those lol. Then I ventured out of the creek and up in the benches and found some items. Nothing special but I'm still excited that I found something :D I'm going to clean them up because they were in the red clay, then ill post some pictures!

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Perfectly understandable. However I suggest that you do your utmost to schedule some time with Trinityau / Ray Mills as soon as mutually convenient. Ray is offering you a rare opportunity in the field to benefit from his nugget hunting expertise. That experience should be a tremendous help getting you off to a successful start in the hobby.

Jim.

This is good advice, Tater call in sick if you have to lol, you don't get offers of free advice from people that knowledgable every day. You have a nice detector but it has a learning curve and he knows how to read the terrain too saving you lots of time and increasing your odds of finding good gold. Not to beat a dead horse were just all trying to help lol. Alex

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread