taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Taternut, I sent a PM out late Friday night for the weekend, did you not get it? I can go out a few hours in the morning on Mon, Tue, and Wed if you have time before work one day. After that I will be in the Sierra near Downieville for a week detecting. Give me a holler. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Any of the days are fine I have all three off actually. Ill message you my number and you can give me a call tomorrow morning or whenever to set something up :)

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might try a pawn shop if you have one in your area. Around here they buy and sell gold and usually have gold nuggets for sale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah me and ray went out for a few hours yesterday, everyone was right. I learned ALOT. And I got myself a little test nugget now. There's a lot more to it than I imagined, but now I'm really excited to go back out and try out what I learned by myself and see if I can do any good now :) I'm very appreciative that he was willing to help a new guy out and learn this sport, now I'm hooked ;)

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trinityau rocks!

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
You will find that a gram of 30 mesh gold flakes won't get picked up by a gold detector, where a 1/10 gram nugget will. When you have a lot of small flakes, they don't add to the signal - rather they react independently. This is one reason that small gold chains are so hard to detect - there may be a lot of links, but the whole mass does does not count, its the size of the individual pieces that trigger a result.

Small bird shot is also a good gold target subsitute. Gold and bird shot give the same reaction as far as your detector is concerned.

Also once you get a small nugget to respond - take that same gold nugget and hold it still, right in the center of your search coil - you will notice that the gold will no longer read as anything - this is because you have a motion detector - your coil has to be moving to detect anything. I often demonstrate this with a 7/10 gram nugget I have - Its supposed to work this way.

This is why I consider it a good idea to learn how to detect for coins - there are hundreds of times more of these for you to hone your pin-pointing skill with than there is gold nuggets for you to find. The last thing you want to do is be out detecting and not be able to find your targets (I dig until I find all of them, trash or not).

Gold Detecting is a lot harder than coin or relic detecting - it requires an exceptional amount of patience and perseverance. Your targets are often tiny noises in your headphones - if you are not paying attention, you'll miss them. You will dig a lot of trash and it won't bother you (because sometimes what appears to be a deep iron target is gold).

If you are not using a quality set of headphones (I use Gray Ghost headphones), you will get a lot of exercise, but will likely only ever find trash.

I find that (for where I search - which includes areas with tailings dumps and large piles of dredge overburden) that a small DD coil is better than a larger coil. The smaller coil responds better to small gold, and also brings a smaller footprint (ie. I see less trash).

Last edited:
OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I found two bb's and an old belt buckle as well but I think I only dug about 6 targets one which was the small piece of gold

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice kill ratio

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well here is the little piece of gold I found earlier this week with ray, my first non flake as well.

Attachments

• image-268794152.jpg
    image-268794152.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 93

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice job! Many to follow............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread