nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi everyone,
Headed out on my bike this week to four areas with good auriferous geology and many indications of mining. Lately, I've been spending time taking notes and making maps of all the information I'm gathering from various libraries and county departments. Having worked in both a library and bookstore I'm aware of the increasing popularity of e-readers, but there is a lot in old dusty books that will never be digitized or found on the internet.
Anyway, the first area was one of ground sluicings which I had detected before. I hiked up a bank of yellow metavolcanic bedrock that had scatters of red stained quartz and dark iron rich cobbles; the sort of scene where gold might make an appearance. It was also the scene of a pile of old junk which, of course, had been shot full of holes. I drifted over to the tailings, checking the troughs and slopes. A wide but shallow wash meandered down from a bank, and I focused my efforts there. Everything that ran off that bank came down to this wash and it was only two inches deep. Beneath the dust was a stretch of jagged bedrock to catch the heavy stuff. Unfortunately, it wasn't long before I realized that the only heavy stuff it caught was lead birdshot, and I got plenty. Toward the end of the day, I got tired of all the junk and moved up to the head of the wash which looked to be less affected by human activity. Within a few minutes, I had two small pieces of gold.
The second area was below steep hillsides that were mined in the late 1850's for gold-bearing quartz. I found this spot by following a ditch the old miners dug to bring water to their sluices. There was an escarpment above the ditches where the miners left off, and strips between the cuts that weren't sluiced. I detected these areas, but the gold must've been too deep or lacking thereof because I didn't find anything.
The third area was alongside a seasonal creek that had placers worked in the early 1850's. There were also several small claims along it as recently as the 1990's. A bald eagle was circling overhead when I arrived. The area looked really good, but much of it was situated under an old dump and after about an hour of my detector screaming at me I gave up. The bulk of the trash looked to be from the 1950's and I might go back just to dig through the heaps.
The fourth area was one I visited several months ago; before fully understanding how to use this detector. It was completely without trash as I had cleaned it thoroughly by digging up every single target. I remember my pockets being so full of rusted metal that the coil would pick up on it whenever I knelt down. The area was down slope from a large earthen dam and dry reservoir likely constructed for the operation of "booming." The ground sluicings were extensive but covered by manzanita to such a point that only a small portion was open to detecting. As I swung away, I continuously kicked off the veneer of pine needles and rounded cobbles to expose the clay layer beneath. In the process, I uncovered a thick line of huge red ants which immediately began ascending my legs. Luckily, only one made it above my socks to bite. Not long afterward, I began getting the signals I had missed before and at the end of the day I had four more pieces of gold, one being the largest I've ever found.

Below: the first area and the gold, the second area, the third area, the bald eagle, the fourth area and the gold, the gold

PIC_0096.JPG PIC_0425.JPG PIC_0363.JPG PIC_0365.JPG PIC_0473.JPG PIC_0335.JPG PIC_0429.JPG PIC_0414.JPG

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Outstanding!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I 'll bet a multi-ounce specimen is in your future, well done.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BTW, the people at Fisher Research Labs would probably enjoy hearing your story and pics.

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
Nuggeteer, thanks for the stories of the nuggets, this keeps the confidence up of all us nugget hunters between finds, looks like your hunting some great ground there. Keep good records and go back thru the areas you found nuggets in when you eventually buy a PI detector, once you cash in some of that found gold!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice gold. happen to see any signs of a squatch?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, jeff - don't believe his cover story of libraries and dusty books. He's really befriended a sasquatch who tells him gold locations in exchange for Big Macs!!
lol :tongue3:

Outstanding Gold, nuggeteer!

Last edited:
OP
OP
nuggeteer

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW, the people at Fisher Research Labs would probably enjoy hearing your story and pics.

Hey Hard Prospector- Have you ever contacted them with any of your GB Pro finds?

Nuggeteer, thanks for the stories of the nuggets, this keeps the confidence up of all us nugget hunters between finds, looks like your hunting some great ground there. Keep good records and go back thru the areas you found nuggets in when you eventually buy a PI detector, once you cash in some of that found gold!

Thanks MXT SNIPER- I always like reading other people's success stories when I'm having a god-awful gold-less stretch.

Yes, jeff - don't believe his cover story of libraries and dusty books. He's really befriended a sasquatch who tells him gold locations in exchange for Big Macs!!
lol :tongue3:

Outstanding Gold, nuggeteer!

For about 15 minutes, something stronger than me was ripping a tree trunk apart while I detected at the third area. Probably just a black bear, but it sure got the adrenaline going.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah 'probably', that's what the squatches count on

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have shared my results with the people at White's quite a bit as most of my prospecting is with the TDI and GMT

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nuggeteer... congratulations on those beautiful nuggets!! Lots of character!! You're sounding like an old pro and putting together some very good articles supported by terrific photos. I hope you archive them in a folder on your computer, because one day you or family members may wish to look back on these articles with a project in mind, and of course HP's suggestion is a good one. :icon_thumright:

Jim.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuggeteer,
I would like to add my congratulations to you for a job well done on finding those nuggets! Along with the congrats I will also add a Thank You for sharing with us as the sight of someone's success is also a boost to others to keep on trying!.........................63bkpkr

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
""""Headed out on my bike this week to four areas with good auriferous geology and many indications of mining. Lately, I've been spending time taking notes and making maps of all the information I'm gathering from various libraries and county departments. Having worked in both a library and bookstore I'm aware of the increasing popularity of e-readers, but there is a lot in old dusty books that will never be digitized or found on the internet.""""

RESEARCH:hello2:....great finds...that pinon/juniper transition zone is a wicked environment to wander about aimlessly...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Absolutely gorgeous gold, and a well written story to go with...:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
nuggeteer

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have shared my results with the people at White's quite a bit as most of my prospecting is with the TDI and GMT

Hard Prospector- Thanks, I'll let Fisher know. Did White's publish your results?

Nuggeteer,
I would like to add my congratulations to you for a job well done on finding those nuggets! Along with the congrats I will also add a Thank You for sharing with us as the sight of someone's success is also a boost to others to keep on trying!.........................63bkpkr

Thanks 63bkpkr- Went out again yesterday and didn't get anything... So, I'm reading other people's stories now. Getting recharged!

""""Headed out on my bike this week to four areas with good auriferous geology and many indications of mining. Lately, I've been spending time taking notes and making maps of all the information I'm gathering from various libraries and county departments. Having worked in both a library and bookstore I'm aware of the increasing popularity of e-readers, but there is a lot in old dusty books that will never be digitized or found on the internet.""""

RESEARCH:hello2:....great finds...that pinon/juniper transition zone is a wicked environment to wander about aimlessly...

secretcanyon- I just moved from Prescott last year. The Redding area has a remarkably similar terrain to central Arizona. I used to pan the creeks in the Bradshaw Mountains, and hike/bike all over Sedona and Flagstaff exploring cliff dwellings and fossiliferous locations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread