Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Public land in north Nevada for gold nuggets

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16
    us
    Sep 2013
    Idaho
    Gold Bug II, X-Terra 70, ACE 350
    19
    2 times
    Curious if anyone has done any MDing in extreme N Nevada, i.e. Mt City area. Did a quick trip yesterday mainly to get my bearings.. GB2 got too wet forced to stop. Loved the area. Any advice? Thanks

  2. #17

    Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    9,717
    2704 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    first advice would be to find out what is claimed and was is not.....
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon



    "A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

  3. #18
    donald peterson

    Jan 2013
    somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
    Whites prism III
    4,541
    1931 times
    Relic Hunting
    a failure to do some research in public records is the source of much whining and crying...
    Clay Diggins likes this.

  4. #19
    us
    Sep 2013
    Idaho
    Gold Bug II, X-Terra 70, ACE 350
    19
    2 times
    Done some LR2000 research, didn't yield much, which is good. Didn't know if detecting wide open ground like Rye Patch or concentrate on old mines. seemed to be a lot of quartz in open like RP. Thanks

  5. #20

    Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    9,717
    2704 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Welcome!!!!As you obviously know its in your best interest to know well whether or not you are on claimed ground LR2000 isnt real reliable,but not sure how else to tell you how to go about it because all Gov. is worthless and shut down anyway......I can tell you that the majority of Gold bearing areas of Nevada are claimed.....usually by major mining Corps....some of the small guys use Smith & Wesson as patrol men
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon



    "A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

  6. #21
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    1,901
    4573 times
    Prospecting
    You should listen to Kuger and pippinwhitepaws on this. They obviously know what they speak of. Rye patch isn't just heavily claimed by large mining companies but most of the public land that isn't claimed is part of a large Department of Defense withdrawal.

    If you follow the Rye Patch directions Fullpan gave on this thread last year you would find you are right in the middle of an active group of placer claims. Land status changes. These claims are on the part of the Section (square mile) "checkerboard" that is not part of the DOD withdrawal. They were restaked this summer and the mining company is currently sampling several square miles of those claims with heavy equipment so any efforts to just slip in for some detecting will be immediately noticed by those mining crews. Not much cover up there.

    The LR2000 is only a starting point in fulfilling your obligation to perform your due diligence regarding land status. The LR2000 has been unavailable since October 1 so that's not really going to be an option. Even if it were working the LR2000 is often inaccurate and never current. The information from the LR2000 is only part of the land status equation.

    The BLM is not legally capable of giving you permission to prospect. Their claims records are only accurate to the nearest quarter mile and their land management maps don't include information about mineral ownership status. Not all unclaimed public lands have mineral rights. Even if they did have the information you wanted they can't guarantee that information or back you up with the Sheriff when you find out they were wrong.

    Nevada is THE Mining State. People are serious about their mining there. Prospecting willy nilly across the public lands could lead to some pretty uncomfortable situations in a place where people are serious about their mineral rights.

    A lot of people have prospected Rye Patch with great success. Some of those people got permission from claim holders or found unclaimed land or open land like the DOD withdrawal. The majority of those successful prospectors just prospected wherever it looked good to them even though the area has always had a great number of claims.

    Today things are different. The price of gold is in the range that makes mining companies remember just why they held all those claims for years. Miners are mining again and claim holders are beginning to look at their minerals as a valuable investment that needs protection. Wherever I go in the west these days I see new mining operations. We are experiencing the beginning of a new mining era.

    The days of wandering the west prospecting wherever it appealed to you are coming to an end. It's never been legally OK to prospect just wherever - all prospectors have a legal obligation to find out the status of the land you intend to prospect before you go there and prospect. For a lot of years those laws went largely unenforced. The "Good Old Days" are fading fast as metal prices rise. With a new strength for mining come changes that may be inconvenient for the casual prospector.

    There are still many large nuggets to be found at Rye Patch. There are still friendly claim owners that may let you prospect their claims for a day or two. There is still open public land at Rye Patch. You just can't rely on the LR2000, a BLM land management map or signs on the ground to show you where those open lands and friendly claim owners are.

    I hope the original poster found some good gold. Taking a nugget or two back home to Germany would be pretty cool!
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Oct 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
    Jim Hemmingway likes this.

  7. #22

    Nov 2013
    2
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Clay,

    I haven't prospected at Rye Patch yet but I have heard and read a lot of stories over the years about it. I drive through that area on my way from Utah to NoCal from time to time. My research has told me that it is almost all claimed up by big corps but they haven't bothered to mark their claims. I don't want to get involved in a fight with a big mining corp so I have stayed away.

    I have not heard of a Department of Defense (DOD) mineral withdrawal. I googled it and found nothing. Can you point me to an internet source where I can get some coordinates on this withdrawal? I assume that means that nobody can claim it and it is free to openly prospect on a small scale. (as with the BLM mineral withdrawal areas in Oregon that I am familiar with)

    Carl

  8. #23
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    1,901
    4573 times
    Prospecting
    Your best bet Carl is to get the Master Title Plat for the Township and Range you are interested in. You can find those at the Government Land Office under the Land Status Records. That will show the DOD withdrawals.

    Around the Majuba placers it's an almost random checkerboard pattern of mostly whole sections. The withdrawal is in the name of the Department of the Navy.

    Hope that helps.

    Heavy Pans

  9. #24
    us
    GoldGPX

    Nov 2012
    Northern California
    GPX-4500 CTX-3030
    23
    18 times
    Prospecting
    Hi Wolfgang,

    First, thing that you need to get is "google earth". Then you will need to get a subscription to http://www.minecache.com . After that, you can plan your trip on google earth and know where not to prospect as well as where to prospect safely… with Minecache you will be able to select either ALL the current [active] BLM claims, or ALL the closed claims….

    Another big help is always having with you a Garmin GPS with a program installed on it made by "Montana Maps". It is a program made for hunting… but, for prospecting… it is very useful… It will show you very accurate realtime property lines… and also Private Property Owners where you can ask for permission to detect on their land! With the GPS and that program you know 100% if you are on Government land, or trespassing on "Private Property."

    Both the minecache.com with google earth and the GPS with "Montana Maps" will make sure you are where you need to be and have a safe prospecting trip!…

    Also Both these programs will work on an iPad

    Best of Luck Prospecting!
    MXT SNIPER likes this.

  10. #25
    us
    Aug 2012
    SO CAL
    (2) TDI SL, GMT, GMZ, GMV-SAT, (2) Sand Sharks, GB2, F19, F75Ltd and the Falcon
    694
    796 times
    Prospecting
    Great advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldCTX View Post
    Hi Wolfgang,

    First, thing that you need to get is "google earth". Then you will need to get a subscription to http://www.minecache.com . After that, you can plan your trip on google earth and know where not to prospect as well as where to prospect safely… with Minecache you will be able to select either ALL the current [active] BLM claims, or ALL the closed claims….

    Another big help is always having with you a Garmin GPS with a program installed on it made by "Montana Maps". It is a program made for hunting… but, for prospecting… it is very useful… It will show you very accurate realtime property lines… and also Private Property Owners where you can ask for permission to detect on their land! With the GPS and that program you know 100% if you are on Government land, or trespassing on "Private Property."

    Both the minecache.com with google earth and the GPS with "Montana Maps" will make sure you are where you need to be and have a safe prospecting trip!…

    Also Both these programs will work on an iPad

    Best of Luck Prospecting!

  11. #26

    May 2012
    nevada
    1,930
    1502 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    You should listen to Kuger and pippinwhitepaws on this. They obviously know what they speak of. Rye patch isn't just heavily claimed by large mining companies but most of the public land that isn't claimed is part of a large Department of Defense withdrawal.

    If you follow the Rye Patch directions Fullpan gave on this thread last year you would find you are right in the middle of an active group of placer claims. Land status changes. These claims are on the part of the Section (square mile) "checkerboard" that is not part of the DOD withdrawal. They were restaked this summer and the mining company is currently sampling several square miles of those claims with heavy equipment so any efforts to just slip in for some detecting will be immediately noticed by those mining crews. Not much cover up there.

    The LR2000 is only a starting point in fulfilling your obligation to perform your due diligence regarding land status. The LR2000 has been unavailable since October 1 so that's not really going to be an option. Even if it were working the LR2000 is often inaccurate and never current. The information from the LR2000 is only part of the land status equation.

    The BLM is not legally capable of giving you permission to prospect. Their claims records are only accurate to the nearest quarter mile and their land management maps don't include information about mineral ownership status. Not all unclaimed public lands have mineral rights. Even if they did have the information you wanted they can't guarantee that information or back you up with the Sheriff when you find out they were wrong.

    Nevada is THE Mining State. People are serious about their mining there. Prospecting willy nilly across the public lands could lead to some pretty uncomfortable situations in a place where people are serious about their mineral rights.

    A lot of people have prospected Rye Patch with great success. Some of those people got permission from claim holders or found unclaimed land or open land like the DOD withdrawal. The majority of those successful prospectors just prospected wherever it looked good to them even though the area has always had a great number of claims.

    Today things are different. The price of gold is in the range that makes mining companies remember just why they held all those claims for years. Miners are mining again and claim holders are beginning to look at their minerals as a valuable investment that needs protection. Wherever I go in the west these days I see new mining operations. We are experiencing the beginning of a new mining era.

    The days of wandering the west prospecting wherever it appealed to you are coming to an end. It's never been legally OK to prospect just wherever - all prospectors have a legal obligation to find out the status of the land you intend to prospect before you go there and prospect. For a lot of years those laws went largely unenforced. The "Good Old Days" are fading fast as metal prices rise. With a new strength for mining come changes that may be inconvenient for the casual prospector.

    There are still many large nuggets to be found at Rye Patch. There are still friendly claim owners that may let you prospect their claims for a day or two. There is still open public land at Rye Patch. You just can't rely on the LR2000, a BLM land management map or signs on the ground to show you where those open lands and friendly claim owners are.

    I hope the original poster found some good gold. Taking a nugget or two back home to Germany would be pretty cool!
    Just an update on OP "duchenem" adventure. We exchanged almost twenty pm's when he was in Winnemucca hotel base camp for about 4 days. Long story
    short, he and a partner made all-day forays to Rye Patch area, and then to Sawtooth Knob area. Close, but no cigars. He and Max found some, and were given some nice quartz crystals - said they were of quality almost equal to famous crystals from Swiss alps, of which he has a collection. At least he didn't go home completely skunked - said he had a blast.

  12. #27

    May 2015
    3
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Gee i am always looking for someone to go MD'ing up there. I wanna go up near Jungo road area which you should be familiar with. I usually travel from Sparks.
    Leo

  13. #28

    May 2015
    3
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hi Gold.....I have bought the Trimble maps on a SD card and use on Ipad or Android device. the maps also have landownership function and defines who owns the private property by name. Well yes land gets bought and sold but in these areas not as often. They are designed to work "off the grid" using satellite only input. I bought a Garmin Bluetooth GPS receiver for $99.00 which gives you US Global satellites as well as Glossnas too which give more precision. Every time I am up there I see hardly no one. the only actual mining operation is the grandson of the original owner of the land at the top of the hill where Peg leg Jim used to stay. He is no longer there, he got run off the land by the owner. If I see no claim markers....I assume first there are no claims. By law, owners are required to maintain their claims and that includes the markers as well. I figure if I do accidently land on a active claim and it is not marked, and somebody wants to give me a bunch of crap...I will first advise them of the marker issue and politely advise them that I will leave. I never have any issues with that. They know they are in the wrong and if they are smart they should at least admit it. I am gonna try mine cache and see how it works.

  14. #29
    us
    May 2009
    Garden Valley, ca.
    Gold Bug Pro
    2,753
    5025 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by worldavi View Post
    Hi Gold.....I have bought the Trimble maps on a SD card and use on Ipad or Android device. the maps also have landownership function and defines who owns the private property by name. Well yes land gets bought and sold but in these areas not as often. They are designed to work "off the grid" using satellite only input. I bought a Garmin Bluetooth GPS receiver for $99.00 which gives you US Global satellites as well as Glossnas too which give more precision. Every time I am up there I see hardly no one. the only actual mining operation is the grandson of the original owner of the land at the top of the hill where Peg leg Jim used to stay. He is no longer there, he got run off the land by the owner. If I see no claim markers....I assume first there are no claims. By law, owners are required to maintain their claims and that includes the markers as well. I figure if I do accidently land on a active claim and it is not marked, and somebody wants to give me a bunch of crap...I will first advise them of the marker issue and politely advise them that I will leave. I never have any issues with that. They know they are in the wrong and if they are smart they should at least admit it. I am gonna try mine cache and see how it works.
    People pull claim markers.....it is the duty of the owner to maintain..yet, there is no "you have a week or lose it" sort of rule....The fact is a valid claim is that...and arguing with the owner if he is telling you to get off his claim is rude...you are not in the right and the notion that you win out in the field...based on a technicality is a shady kind of attitude to have. Its is the prospectors obligation to know land status.... If you have advance knowledge (you would have to) of a claim show up and see no markers...and use that as a way to decide if your gonna dig there you are a Highgrader plain and simple. For all anyone knows you could have pulled the corners the day before...pretty terrible advice and attitude to convey to people on a site where people seek info. I think Nevada is Like California even . On a placer claim you only need a discovery monument...There are no corners unless your on un-surveyed land. Either way there is a map on file and that takes us full circle. You are obliged to know as the prospector.... In Nevada I believe ore dumps aren't even considered abandoned for ten years. So don't highgrade and don't tell people how to do it either.

  15. #30
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    1,901
    4573 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    People pull claim markers.....it is the duty of the owner to maintain..yet, there is no "you have a week or lose it" sort of rule....The fact is a valid claim is that...and arguing with the owner if he is telling you to get off his claim is rude...you are not in the right and the notion that you win out in the field...based on a technicality is a shady kind of attitude to have. Its is the prospectors obligation to know land status.... If you have advance knowledge (you would have to) of a claim show up and see no markers...and use that as a way to decide if your gonna dig there you are a Highgrader plain and simple. For all anyone knows you could have pulled the corners the day before...pretty terrible advice and attitude to convey to people on a site where people seek info. I think Nevada is Like California even . On a placer claim you only need a discovery monument...There are no corners unless your on un-surveyed land. Either way there is a map on file and that takes us full circle. You are obliged to know as the prospector.... In Nevada I believe ore dumps aren't even considered abandoned for ten years. So don't highgrade and don't tell people how to do it either.
    Thanks Goldwasher!

    The simple fact is that each prospector has a legal duty to avoid mineral trespass by informing themselves BEFORE entering the lands to prospect. I defy anyone to locate all 5 stakes on even a freshly staked 160 acre claim without prior research. I've made this challenge before and the best result yet is three stakes - that took all day to define three corners of a claim on the ground. The average is 0 stakes.

    It's not the claim owners duty to keep prospectors from trespassing on their minerals.

    Think of it this way, you are wandering through a new neighborhood. Several garage doors are open. You see something interesting in one of the garages so you look around and don't see any signs that say "don't take anything from my garage" so you wander on in and choose a pair of skis and a motorcycle for yourself.

    Were you:
    Just taking free stuff from a public area?
    or
    Trespassing and stealing?

    Does your answer depend on whether the property owner put up a sign telling you this was his stuff?

    There are no excuses or magic "no stake" loopholes in a court when you are tried for mineral trespass. The judge will declare you a thief because you took property that clearly wasn't yours. Both the homeowner and the claim owner maintain a public record of their property boundaries. The fact that you didn't bother to look up those public records doesn't mean you get free skis, a motorcycle and all the minerals you can dig. It means you can go to jail for theft.

    Heavy Pans
    Jim Hemmingway and Goldwasher like this.

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Sep 10, 2012, 08:02 PM
  2. RECREATIONAL GOLD PROSPECTING ON PUBLIC LAND IN MONTANA
    By kd7one in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct 10, 2009, 08:38 AM
  3. Detecting tailings on public land
    By Southernhunter in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Aug 23, 2008, 12:40 AM
  4. public land to prospect for gold on?
    By bigalathenstn in forum Georgia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun 30, 2007, 08:05 AM
  5. Power withdrawals and public land
    By daydreamer in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 09, 2006, 09:14 PM

Search tags for this page

map of rye patch gold field
,
nevada gold metal detecting
,
nugget shooting in tule district nv
,
rye patch gold claims
,
rye patch gold claims blm
,

rye patch gold detecting

,
rye patch gold nuggets
,

rye patch gold prospecting

,
rye patch nevada gold
,
sawtooth knob, humboldt county nevada gold nugget pictures
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3