May 23, 2013
Bavaria
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,
I am from Germany and I have searched for artifacts since 1 year.
End of august I will make a trip to Las Vegas. I several maps I saw, that there is gold in the northern part of Nevada. But I also saw, that there are a lot of claims there.
So how do I recognize a claim, how do I find public land? I am afraid, that I will be a claim jumper.

I will be there for about 3 days, so I don't want to spend to much time in the outback to find public land with nuggets. I just want to have some fun without bling bling cash from Las Vegas.

Sorry for my bad english, but I hope you understand what my problem is.

Best regards

Wolfgang

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this is your very first post - so, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Germany for information directly related to your country.
metal_detector.gif
3rd - While waiting for a member to respond - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Nevada for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your upcoming trip to Las Vegas.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is LOTS of gold in northern Nevada and plenty of open public land to detect on. Get a map of the national forrest/BLM land you will be in and if the area is private or claimed it should be posted with markers and signs.

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over time, claim post/markers get knocked down, which makes it hard to see from a distance.
Most all private land mineral rights are held by either the land owner or have been sold to a
mining company years ago.
BLM & state land can be claimed also, but there is still plenty unclaimed open land available
to the prospector/metal detecter.
My way to deal with trespassing on others claims is simply to be as nice & friendly as possible
if someone approach me & tells me I am on their claim, I apologize and leave. Sometimes
the claim owner gives me permission to hunt for the day. Or points me in the right direction
to unclaimed land. Good luck on your trip.8-)

OP
OP
D

duchemin

May 23, 2013
Bavaria
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your helpfully response.
I have never been in a gold prospecting area in Nevada and I was not sure that I will recognize the borders of the claims.
But as you write it should be possible.
After Gold detecting I want to go on to Salt Lake City. So the north of Nevada is no problem.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I strongly agree with bug that you use the link and read the info there. The Rye Patch area is by far the best recommendation. Why? - because this will be
a one-time attempt for you, and you have a reasonable chance at success there. Because you will meet other MDers most likely (if its not too HOT!) who
can show you where the private claims are. Because it is directly on the way to Salt Lake City (sort of) compared to other locations where a tourist could very easily get LOST!! If you rent a vehicle, I recommend a "SUV" type with good A/C because, in August the temperature is commonly near 100 degrees F. and
there are no trees, no shade. Hope this helps.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been looking for a good spot to do some nugget shooting on
my next adventure to N. Nevada, and after reading the link and
other info, Rye Patch it is!

Does anyone know if there are some side roads that get back in the
hills a bit so I could camp out of my pickup?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dizzy - just PM me when you're ready to go, I can help. P.s. - there's a character out there named "Peg Leg John" who, if you find him, can give you
a guided tour of hotspots! (take some extra canned goods for barter/gifts)

goldchaser3

Jun 21, 2010
I just did a quick Mapquest and it looks like that's about 5.5 hours from me (San Francisco bay area). I may have to make a trip out there myself. :-)

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick story - 6 years ago, on our way to a farther destination, we pulled into the placers there to bs and pick some brains. I've been there alone before
and not much info was given up, but this time it was me and three good-lookin females! Spent over an hour swappin lies, and boy, did those guys unload
their nuggets for us to see. They fell all over themselves trying to impress the girls. Isn't that always the way, right? haha.:tongue3:

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
Good luck, as others have said, not all claimed land is marked. The only way to know is to reference the blm map for public land and then go into the blm office and spend all day asking about each piece.
Im in norther nevada , just moved there. Im looking for people in the area that are interesed in going out beeping. good luck to you all

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the link above, au - there is a minor typo right in the last sentence of directions. It says "it is best to come over from the west off the road west
of rye patch reservoir. The sentence should read "its best to come over from the east off the road..."

Its really a simple place to get to. From the far side of the dam just head north on gravel/dirt rd. for about ten miles. after seven miles
you will start to see the rigs of MDers upslope to the west/left.

And yes, last time I was there, ATV's were the preferred mode of transportation.

Last edited:

id_au_digger

Greenie
Sep 3, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II, X-Terra 70, ACE 350
Curious if anyone has done any MDing in extreme N Nevada, i.e. Mt City area. Did a quick trip yesterday mainly to get my bearings.. GB2 got too wet forced to stop. Loved the area. Any advice? Thanks

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first advice would be to find out what is claimed and was is not.....

id_au_digger

Greenie
Sep 3, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II, X-Terra 70, ACE 350
Done some LR2000 research, didn't yield much, which is good. Didn't know if detecting wide open ground like Rye Patch or concentrate on old mines. seemed to be a lot of quartz in open like RP. Thanks

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!!!!As you obviously know its in your best interest to know well whether or not you are on claimed ground LR2000 isnt real reliable,but not sure how else to tell you how to go about it because all Gov. is worthless and shut down anyway......I can tell you that the majority of Gold bearing areas of Nevada are claimed.....usually by major mining Corps....some of the small guys use Smith & Wesson as patrol men :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread