Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Tailing Piles Labeled "Cultural Site"

Hi everyone,
I know that when prehistoric and historic cultural sites are marked, they are off limits to detecting. I can respect this since I had tagged, excavated, and documented several archaeological sites as an anthropology major in college. Usually, when I find these sites they possess obvious qualities about them that are of cultural significance. However, this particular area was completely devoid of any prehistoric component, and the historic value was limited to a few rusted sheets of metal and an expanse of tailings from circa 1850's ground sluicing. I've done some research on this location and found no information specific to the mining activity. Apparently, the tailing piles alone warranted the "cultural site" marker, which was placed sometime in the last two weeks. I'm not rushing to any conclusions yet because this marker might be temporary, but if tailings are now being designated "cultural sites," then many of the areas I detect could soon be off limits. I contacted the BLM but they didn't know anything about it. Has anyone else encountered this?

Below: the marker and the tailing piles

PIC_0537.JPG PIC_0538.JPG PIC_0540.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First thing I would do is see if I could find out who the idiot was that
put the marker there, and by who's authority. I've learned that some people
will stick a sign just about anywhere, hoping they can hoard something
for themselves.

If there was not an "Official" state or fed. organization sticker, sign
or something else present at the site telling me who put the signs there,
then odds are they would be relocated elsewhere until I got finished checking
out the tailings.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like modern trash that should be removed

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Bogus to me though to be on the safe side I would contact a few possible places that might know something about the non-official looking markers: county, city, state BLM you've already taken care of. This could be a real pain the back side to get anyone to own up to the stake out..............................63bkpkr

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
an old gold detectors trick to "shut off" a spot for themselves * if it is not clearly marked as being "posted" by valid state or fed arch. types --it might be a "fooler" meant to scare off any competitors , and might be totally "bogus"

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes Forestry or BLM marks the historical mine sites or water ditches before they log or do other work in the area like fuel thinning. Its nice they do this, or the contractor would rip down the old diggings erasing our history with the D12 Cat,

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the FS then if BLM denied it.DO NOT BELIEVE OFFICE FLUNKY- TALK TO ARCHEOLOGIST .Many studies going on in shasta county because of dam raising project. No nuttn' means nuttn' as what was isn't no more. MASSIVE fines/troubles/lose equipment/vehicles. Fellas diggn' a old CCC camp dump back in 2000 or so got $10,000 fines,lost detectors,trucks and atvs and area NOT marked. I was in federal court during the trial here in Redding and a ugly scene. I have filed dozens of plan of operations for myself and friends and this issue MUST also be addressed everytime everywhere. Your lucky marked as official line a bs is--if all sites marked then all sites would be robbed.... Err on the side a caution,-John

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ok...it appears that some work may be scheduled in the area...a road crew perhaps?
those markers do not look like any thing I have noticed in academic settings...not even the initials of the university or department???
forest service an other federals would identify their activities...
maybe the construction supervisor knows his crew better than we do....don't dig here makes sense then...

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nuggeteer, there are archaeological sites all over Shasta County that are marked very similar. I tried to trace some down and it is a maze. There actually is a law on the books stating that these sites will not be publicly acknowledged because of some people or persons going right to the site and digging for whatever reason. Middle Creek area has a lot of these sites. Like John said, don't go by what the office people tell you. He can tell you and I can tell you that several people in Shasta County have had their lives destroyed by the fallout of getting caught on some of these areas. Two guys I know of lost their rigs, minimum 30 day impoundment fee, $10,000 fine, 30 days in jail and all rights to do anything on Forest Service and BLM lands for a specified time. Because of what happened both also ended up going through divorce. Both also lost their jobs and one lost his California Nursing License because of a Federal conviction. They do have trail cams on many locations. There are enough areas to go to without taking the chance. And NO I am not just paranoid, I have been here long enough to see how things work. Many will say "Fight back", yeah, right and devote the rest of your life to a simple lifelong litigation. Life is too short for that. I have stayed away from that area and other areas that look good because it is just not worth it. The site does not have to have prehistoric content, read the Antiquity Law. That law covers a lot of your questions. What are you going to do when they finish tying all the new trails in the Redding area to Whiskey Town and Lake Shasta Recreational areas. Are you aware that when that happens then all the BLM lands that we detect on that have a trail crossing them will fall under the same guidelines as the recreational areas. Then they can limit anything we do on all of those lands. This is happening and you will see it pretty quickly, the local offices wont say a thing about it to you. This has already taken place in other states where the land status was similar to what we have here in Redding. You hit the nail on the head, " they didn't know anything about it." Just my two cents, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

OP
OP
nuggeteer

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
All good advice. I just found out that the marker was placed by another agency that is doing some work on BLM land. I contacted this agency and they told me that the marker was for their crew, but they didn't know if this is a registered archaeological site where detecting is restricted. So, I'm going to stay away from this area until the crew is gone and see if the marker is taken down. Thanks everyone!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
For my money that sounds like the best idea. Give them a chance to do their thing and even then I'd still double check that status of the area afterwards. No sense in taking a risk of fines and loss of equipment etc etc etc.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Looks like dig here to me.

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no official documentation such as BLM or NFS signage in the photo. Anyone, including eco-terrorists, can label an area just to keep people from exercising their rights to access. I realize that the government can do whatever it wants, especially with public lands in connection with the Archeological Resources Protection act of 1979. But, the government allegedly has to abide by the 14th Amendment due process of law guarantee regarding properly communicating to the public those areas that are off limits. Anyone could have put up those markers, and the public is under no obligation to honor a marker that is unofficial, especially with no public announcements or proper signage. That said, California is under attack from pagans who worship the creation as opposed to the creator. They obviously have the support of the powers that be, and one would be wise to pick his battles carefully.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some a these comments it's no wonder why soooooooooooo much is closed to access now. We are all judged by their insipid actions and pay dearly forevermore...sic sic sic summaB....John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread