Best VLF for Tailing Piles

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best VLF for Tailling Piles

I've been invited onto a private ranch with two old gold mines with large tailling piles. I have a lot of experience swinging over mountain and desert placer but always avoided taillings 'cause most I'd come across had already been flogged and plowed through. This place is very different as it may have never seen a detector. My question is; should I use my GMT(with 4x6 or 6x10 coil) or GB Pro(5" round or 10"elliptical) Also, any advice on on a systematic approach to work these piles would be appreciated, thanks.....Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GMT hands down! This is what it was designed for and it is one of the very best for this. The smaller head will maneuver in and out of the rocks best with only a small sacrifice in depth. Your bigger coil will go a little deeper and cover more ground so the condition of the piles will dictate which to use. (Trial and error). There is a guy on youtube who is working tailings and is pretty systematic in his technique. He pulls off a layer and spreads it out then scans it and repeats as he goes down. Was the gold from this mine free gold or is it in ore like telurides? Either way, the mineral rejection of the GMT and the automatic ground balance will make hunting those piles possible. Good Luck!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GMT with the 4x6. S-L-O-W. If the tailings are small enough to layer, then yes, rake them down.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A old school TR unit is good for tailing piles also as reverse disc ID is easily achieved as you can set to look for metal(gold,silver,copper) or iron mode for ID to eliminate rocks. Just a bit a info to add to your arsenal as at swaps they run $10-20 and good in tunnels also. Eliminate the garbage and move in for the kill with a good VLF-I much prefer my GB2 or Tesoro Lobo ST but different strokes for differing folks :headbang: John

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm the guy who designed the GB2, the Lobo ST, the GMT, and the GB Pro. Each has its strengths and its weaknesses.

The GB Pro or Tek G2 equipped with the 5 or 10 inch DD is for most customers and most conditions the best choice for tailings work. It's 4 AM and I don't have time to go into the details, but it is good advice.

That having been said, any one of them can be productive on tailings if you understand what the heck you're doing.

--Dave J.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Try to find out more about the gold that was mined there - if the gold was tied up in Sulphates - your detector won't see it even if you come across high gold content tailings. Learning to recognize gold ores will help you in the long run.

How did they process it at the site? Cyanide? If so, that may indicate very small particles gold that needed special processing.

In Colorado, at Cripple Creek, most of the gold was tied up in Pyrites (Calaverite in particular) - can't find it with a Metal Detector - but its currently being mined there now (with Cyanide leeching) - the gold can be microscopic in size and still be recovered (a lot of gold in Nevada is of this nature).

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GMT has the iron probability graph, which works great in tailings. It's the one I use. Also look at the f75 because the VDI is active in prospecting mode, Steve Herschbach has written about this feature on his blog. Another good one for tailings is the MXT, you can use the coin and jewelry mode with a peticular set-up, and the VDI will be active and you can recognize iron, even nails and boot tacks.

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard Prospector,
I've been using the GB Pro for the last five months and it's the only detector I've ever used, so my observations are limited. If you decide to use it, I would suggest the 10" elliptical coil. I don't know what your area is like, but my experience with detecting tailings has been mostly in expanses of old ground sluicings. When I get to these areas, I try to determine if and where the bedrock dips and slopes, even if the bedrock is deep or not visible. I check the troughs between the piles as these gaps will commonly reveal bedrock or shallower sediments. Oftentimes, the tapering of the piles and/or paths of runoff will give me the general direction. Once this is determined, I move downhill from the heaps to where the sediments level out. I detect all of this level area. Once I find gold, I begin to move back uphill and try to find which pile(s) the gold might be coming from. This eliminates some of the guesswork in deciding which piles to dig into. The GB Pro has been an excellent detector in these settings.

Below: a typical area of ground sluicings

tailing piles1.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the great input, I'll be headed up there in a couple weeks(southern Sierra Nevada) to see for myself.

Floating_Adrift

Oct 10, 2013
Idaho City
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Gold Bug 2, DetectorPro Uniprobe, XP Deus (love it!), Minelab ProFind.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What tricks does the Gold Bug Pro have for tailings over the Gold Bug 2?

I'm going to be detecting through tailings in the next few days with my gold bug 2 with the 6.5" coil - will that setup be effective for 4-6" thick quartz/granite rock?

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best detector/prospectors that I know of still use the GB2 for tailing and specimen work. As you know the machine takes lots of practice to balance which "weeds" out the many.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best detector/prospectors that I know of still use the GB2 for tailing and specimen work. As you know the machine takes lots of practice to balance which "weeds" out the many.
Check out Woof's archive for his FANTASTIC publication on metal detectors. I have both the GMT and the GB2. I prefer the GB2. It has only manual ground balance. The GMT has auto AND manual. On about page 17 of the GMT (Whites) manual, it says to go to manual balance for the TINY gold. Hmmm, seems you're using it like a GB2, now. Let's face it, you are NOT going to find the CHOKER nuggets everytime out. An ounce is an ounce is an ounce, no matter the fineness. I did a video (such as it is) about 3 years back on the GB2 and GMT side by side on the ground targets. It is in the archives. Again, both are dynamite machines but I prefer the GB2. TTC

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big gold or small gold? My preferred unit for a long time for trashy tailing piles and large gold was MXT. Now using Gold Bug Pro due to lighter weight similar performance. If smaller gold would lean GMT.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a lot of tailing piles in the northern mother load and the only way to do it right is to take down the tailing piles and scan every rock.and run the fines through a sluice.

You would be surprised at the amount of gold that the old timers missed in the muck.

Its even better if the mine was a high grade mine.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bet they missed a godly portion of the gold. The price was low, and equipment was build it yourself on site.

unimakpass

Sep 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, could someone help me out here with a real green horn question. How would a PI machine work on tailing piles compared to the gold bug pro ect. Thanks.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, could someone help me out here with a real green horn question. How would a PI machine work on tailing piles compared to the gold bug pro ect. Thanks.
This is a legitimate question. I have no experience with a PI "gold" machine but lots of time with VLF and LOR (Lots Of Reading). A VLF tends to go for the small gold... near the surface. The PI works better with the deep and large gold. Both have a place on the tailings piles but since most gold will be very small, I personally would invest in the VLF. Others with PI machine need to expound here. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread