In this image, where would you go?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your questions are impossible to answer without knowing the source of the gold. Is it weathering out from a hillside THERE, or is it coming from farther up-stream? Is your area bedrock or ancient gravel deposits?

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given the amount of info available and the fact that I think your questions are good ones here's what I think: 1. inside, 2. sharp, 3. beginnings of wider sections, 4. far enough up the confluence to test. In short anywhere lazy old gold slows down. Because you said fine gold I would try a plant or two and decide then. It appears you are dealing with a flood gold situation so fine gold could be anywhere. If I had to pick one place on your pic it would be at the far left where the wash starts to widen.

Good luck.

L

lockdownking

I would try several different test holes along each of the dry bottom river channels. Look into the sharpest turns first.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way it's historically been done is to sample pan your way up the water course. As you get closer to the source, the gold will get chunkier and you should start seeing bits of quartz still in the gold. As soon as the gold stops appearing or gets tiny again, go back and start exploring up the hills on both side for a weathering vein.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread