Best Detector for Gold under $300

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting my first MD and I only want to spend about $300. I'm looking for a MD that will work well in highly mineralized soil. As a beginner I just want to be able to learn and see if I like it before spending a lot on a better MD. I think I'm interested primarily in MD for gold. Not really interested in working parks or beaches for coins or jewelry.

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love my Goldmaster VSAT used for $300 nice condition got it on Craigslist.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck Panman. Where do you live and prospect? You'll be looking at used, manual ground balance machines, that operate at 14khz-19khz for gold prospecting in your price range. New, they start at $500.00 (Fisher Goldbug) and just go up from there.

OP
OP
Panman

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Bakersfield.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A used nugget shooter with a good reputation is what you want... Gold Bug 2 or Pro, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo ST, etc. Realistically you will probably be looking at spending a few hundred more for these, but maybe you'll find a deal. If you pick up a cheap multi-purpose detectors it will probably drive you nuts in the goldfields, and you'll lose interest real quick. I would recommend one of the proven gold detectors that might cost a little bit more. You can always resell it if you want to and probably get back about what you paid. Just a thought.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panman,
Welcome to Tnet.

Detecting for gold is one of the hardest methods of detecting to master. One can be at it for years without finding any.

The best thing to do FIRST is to practice all the time at home before going back out into the hills. I mean weekly if not more often especially at first. This is the one thing a detector owner can do to improve their odds of finding gold. The second best thing is to go where gold has been found before.
The best of success in your quest's - first the machine and then the gold....................63bkpkr

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Whites GMZ is a newer gold machine that never really caught on with novice and experienced shooters (it operates on a "silent" thresh hold) it was just too different for those used to the constant background hum. But it is a good machine, simple to use, very sensitive, and handles bad ground very well for a VLF. I've seen them used for around $250-350, I enjoy taking mine out from time to time.

Kingclean

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a whites vsat I got off craigslist for 300$. It's a great detector and has a much higher frequency than most Vlf machines. Most detectors will find big gold, the real test is how small can you find with it. Here's one my vsat found and this sucker zipped and had a good clear signal even on this tiny one.

image-2285871808.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kingclean, if you happen to recall how deep was that sweetheart? Also, what version of vsat do you own?..........................63bkpkr

Kingclean

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63, hey that fella wasn't too deep, an inch down, two at the most. My detector just says gold master vsat on it. So I just thought it was called the vsat. It will find them even smaller no problem but the depth is an issue. If I'm in a spot I know has detectable gold. I bring a garden rake. Detect the surface on a area, rake a few inches off and detect again. With this method you can get all the depth you need . If there's a few specks in that spot then I bring the drywasher and hit the piles I've raked up.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One must first learn to walk before you can run and you want to skip the absolute most important aspect of the detecting learning curve. Not 1 in a 1,000 sticks with nuggetshooting as the most expensive,costly,dangerous and least productive mode of mining there is. You must learn AND LIKE detecting before you jump into shark infested waters...gotta pay them newbie dues and play the blues first-John

Kingclean

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johns right, first thing I did when I got mine was spend a week digging trash out of my back yard. You have to learn the language of the detector or you will be so frustrated in about five minutes you might throw it on the ground and stomp it. I am still terrible at it, but count on digging lots and lots of trash before you ever see any gold.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Vsat will find metal so small I can't see the pieces so I pan them out.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just picked up a Goldmaster V/Sat 3 weeks ago from Ebay. Only used a few times,came in the original box, with a coiul cover.
Looks as if the coil never touched the ground,and the glass on the gauge is crystal clear,looks brand new.
$300 shipped.
The V/sats are 95 to 98. I think it went, GmII,GmIII,V/sat,Then GmIV.
Check Ebay and craigslist.
About the only place your going to get one that low. I looked for 3 months before I found mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread