Garrett ATX - Any thoughts/opinions on this unit?

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just saw an ad on the Garret site for the ATX. Wow I am totally surprised about this. I got the ATG and now they come out with the pulse induction and having the cables inside of the shaft. What a concept.
I believe it has 730 pulses per minute and I'm curious on how that rates to the Mine Lab GPX 5000. What are anybody's thoughts reactions and but a buddy use it?

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Built like a tank, heavy as one. Ex military chassis. Fills a good void in the market.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The underwater is part of my main interest on this. Definitely curious about this unit. Plus I like the idea of running the chord through the shaft. No more snags on branches. lol.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garret, if you snag the cord of an ATX on something you know you've really gone above and beyond anything you've ever snagged................63bkpkr

Wait you are in Arizona and you want underwater capability? Do you know something you would like to share with the rest of us? Should we build an Ark?...........................63bkpkr

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ark is built. Just need help fixing it. Lol. Long story condensed.
About 15 years ago I was fishing relatively close to shore. The wind was blowing hard so I tossed the anchor over to help slow the boat down and not drain the trolling motor.
We got to the point where I wanted to pull the anchor and move to the point again and drift back again. This was a hot spot for fishing that day.
When I pulled up my 8 lb mushroom anchor it was full of gold along the bottom area of the dome. Minus of course the holes there. I couldn't believe it. What a find. I think in total it could've been an ounce or two. Back then I wasn't into chasing the beast. Plus, I didn't have a way of catching the gold without losing a bunch of it. The only thing to put it in was an empty beer can. With two days left on the trip. That would've been lost anyway. Plus I think gold was 3-400/oz back then. It wasn't till after that trip I bought my first pan. Then it wasn't till another two years went by before I used it.
Good news is, I know the location and where the gold came from. Bad news is that I'm pretty certain G&F and/or Forest service won't let me run my highbanker from boat or on shore. Let alone dredge the area.
Part of the reason why I try to find waterproof toys. Only a couple areas to do this, but you need to find a way to stay cool in our heat. Lol

It's not like I get to hike (or stumble) the sierras

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally understand about trying to stay cool or comfortable and how getting wet in AZ is not easy unless it is from sweat, I've lived there twice. I try to play in the river canyons of CA just so I can add water play into the days activities or I simply fall into the water to revitalize myself. Last time out I actually detected while walking in the water so yes I was tempting fate with my non waterproof GMT.

Have you found an ATX at a dealers show room yet?..........................63bkpkr

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not yet. I haven't seen it except online. I did see a post on TH from a guy that has one. I'm wondering if the headquarters for my mining club might have it. Or there's also a minelab guy near Stanton that sales the minelabs I wonder if he has the others for comparison.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Garret wants to sell them then they need to make them available to the public. But then again if they found a problem with them and are sorting it out that is wise. No use putting out a detector that fails right off!

I would think they will get it into the hands of an unbiased well known detectorist that people can trust to do a real evaluation and write a report on it. I vote for Steve! Any other choices? Maybe an electronics Nut Detectorist, is that Viddy?.....................63bkpkr

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the vote but be patient guys. Unfortunately it is getting to be the norm to put out pre-release information and what that means is the unit is not available for purchase yet. I think they figure stuff is going to leak anyway so may as well get out ahead of the rumors. But I admit I miss the old days when the first I knew of a new detector was the day I could buy it or at least see one.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Steve. Just saw an input by you about the ATX on another forum. I won't name it, but I thought we had you to ourselves. Lol
Your answer you had here was the same as here almost. I guess we have to wait for Garrett to send one to ya. Either that. Could you tell Garrett that I'm here in AZ representing them. Since that's my name. Then have them send it to me. Then you and I could run the hills comparing them. I promise I'll send it back. Maybe.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The manufacturers are cautious with me since I have no strong allegiance to any and am known for just saying what I think. That means I am not always the first person they want getting hold of anything as I am a little bit of a two edged sword. Though I do practice the general rule of finding what detectors do well as opposed to seeking out their flaws. All detectors have strengths and weaknesses, and my goal is to find and exploit strengths to my own advantage. What that means is it needs to offer some kind of capability I do not already have at my fingertips with existing models.

I can tell you I have no idea when I may get my hands on an ATX or under what circumstances. I do communicate with people at Garrett regularly, but nobody has promised me anything. I honestly do not care all that much but I would like one by the end of January for a trip to Hawaii.

I frequent several prospecting forums. Can't help it, I am a detecting forum junkie!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve the reasons I suggested you are the exact same reasons why they would not select you as their first report candidate. You would be what end users would want as a first test report type!

Let them work out the kinks in their new product and I can accept that any new product will have kinks, and then they should contact you to do a report on it "for them" as well as all of us................63bkpkr

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Herb. That's the truth of it there. I even told Steve that about his article. It's like when somebody asks which detector he/she should get. Then each person jumps in about who's is best. Instead of giving the strengths or weaknesses of each unit for how they're going to use the unit. Then there's a discussion/debate about the history of each company and the detectors, with the light hearted jabs. That's why I liked his article of unbiased opinion. Though Steve, I think he prefers the 5000. Lol. I do like how he says that the VLF is better in some ways. Just depends on conditions. I wish I would've found the article while I was looking. Not that I would've chosen differently, but the way he broke down the units was great. So now I don't know if I want to get the PI.
I was told that if I got the GPX5000 and a GB2, I'd be bulletproof. Around 7k
If I got the ATX and GB2. That'd be Around 3k.
Dollar wise ATX/GB2 best choice (plus wife won't blow up as bad)
If I got the 5000/GB2. I wouldn't have to get a new detector (at least till the 6000 comes out), but I'd probably have to get a new wife. Lol.
The Garrett page says the pps is 730. While the 5000 has the advanced pulse induction. Which I think means it uses multiple frequencies.
The weight w/ battery is 7 lbs for the 5000 as to the 5.5 lbs for the ATX.
In studying these two. It seems like there's no depth indicator. Why? It'd be nice to know how deep I have to anticipate digging. Verses strength of signal.
So here's hoping that this new ATX is remotely close to the 5000. Would like to save some moola. Instead of buying an used car for my relaxing hobby.
How do I get Garrett to send me one for trial and a non biased review? Lol
I won't let them know I talk to Steve. In forum only. Maybe one day we could bump into each other, and he could give me a pointer or ten. Lol

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the GPX 5000 a lot. It is not really about liking things or not. I am very serious about prospecting and I use whatever I think will put the most gold in my pocket. In most cases and for many professional prospectors that means a GPX 5000. But the detector has weaknesses, like all detectors, and it is usually VLF detectors that fill the gap.

The GPX is also not waterproof, and the ATX looks most likely to fill that gap.

Depth meters are useless in that they must be calibrated to a known object. For coin detectors that usually means a dime. For general detecting there is no particular object to calibrate to so the meter would rarely be accurate.

I write and post for various reasons, most self serving. But I do admit I have always disliked it when people declare one detector or brand "the best" and tout them no end. My view on detectors are they are tools in my tool box and each serves a purpose. Some tools get used a lot, some are more specialized. All I can say is I encounter many different detecting scenarios and no one detector would serve me well in all situations. I like having a well rounded tool box.

I am glad the reviews are helpful. I just tweaked them again to include room for the ATX.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Word of caution-new detector models are akin to new car models-new buyers are utilized like crash test dummies to work the bugs out...hopefully. The GB new models are a PERFECT example as what a ungodly mess---buy after the fixes are in.---John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I watched the current video on the Garret site for the ATX. No coil covers for the epoxy potted coils so it is open on the bottom to take the hits during any type of detecting. So, they will come out with them as well................63bkpkr

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Word of caution-new detector models are akin to new car models-new buyers are utilized like crash test dummies to work the bugs out...hopefully. The GB new models are a PERFECT example as what a ungodly mess---buy after the fixes are in.---John

Excellent advice!!

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
63bkpkr

My mining supply place told me to just put trash bags over coil when I was waiting for my covers for the ATG. Maybe use tarp material. Lol
I also like the compactness of it 20". I wonder how good those clips are? I didn't see any push pin springs in the pics. Just threaded couplers.

Steve

Thanks for explaining why not needing depth meter. I'd still like to know if that strong signal is 2-4' down (BIG target) or if it's a nice small target at a couple inches. That takes away the anticipation from digging. Lol. I guess that's why we dig till find it. My depth meter is fairly accurate, but I rarely look at it. I realized that after asking the question awhile back.

Thanks for all your inputs everybody. Hopefully we can put our hands on one soon to see if it's worthy of hype. I'd love to be the test dummy on this. I haven't been doing this long. So I can be from the beginner input. Lol.
I'm finally understanding the response time. I noticed another detector I got had a slow response from swing. By the time it beeped the coil was 12" away. If I truly didn't understand what was happening. I'd been digging wrong spot. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread