Video: Garrett ATX Buried Targets Test

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is the video I mentioned earlier to you Al. Thanks for putting it up on the board, and of course for doing all those in-ground depth tests. That's what I wanted to see, and it ought to do better over undisturbed ground targets. Between your videos and Steve's preliminary report over at Finds, it is quite evident that the ATX offers significant improvements over its predecessors. Many thanks...

Jim.

OP
OP
Bearkat

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
Yes; I was thinking the same thing about undisturbed ground should help a bit on better signal from the small deep stuff. The only way I got the 7 gram nugget at that depth is NOT to ground balance the ATX...I think I put a note in the video about that. If I ground balanced 100% perfect I did not detect it at 15" and the foot mark was the limit (barely)...even the GPX 5000, ground balanced, the foot mark on the same nugget was its limit also. But not ground balanced, it also got it a bit deeper. One could hunt a bit doing this, it is a bit noisier like a VLF, some people could handle it, some not.

I have an idea for next test but I have to drive way out of town to use the non-motion mode to its full potential, to do buried test very similar using this NMM as it is max for the ATX, and also bring along my 5000 and see what happens. I have not forgot about your discrimination test Jim...to be honest, as a prospector, I just don't use it much...but will earn it better before I do the test.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes; I was thinking the same thing about undisturbed ground should help a bit on better signal from the small deep stuff. The only way I got the 7 gram nugget at that depth is NOT to ground balance the ATX...I think I put a note in the video about that. If I ground balanced 100% perfect I did not detect it at 15" and the foot mark was the limit (barely)...even the GPX 5000, ground balanced, the foot mark on the same nugget was its limit also. But not ground balanced, it also got it a bit deeper. One could hunt a bit doing this, it is a bit noisier like a VLF, some people could handle it, some not.

I have an idea for next test but I have to drive way out of town to use the non-motion mode to its full potential, to do buried test very similar using this NMM as it is max for the ATX, and also bring along my 5000 and see what happens. I have not forgot about your discrimination test Jim...to be honest, as a prospector, I just don't use it much...but will earn it better before I do the test.

I think I understand what you're saying Al insofar as you're deliberately offsetting the ground balance... I believe by keeping the coil a bit further above ground and so not going to completion on the ground balance... but just not sure. I suppose if the ground minerals aren't too harsh, you could increase the depth response by obtaining a GB setting that is further away from the target GB setting. It might be a good idea to demonstrate this technique on video to make clear what you're doing... it is not dissimilar to what TDI users can manually do, you just do it differently as I understand things.

As to an iron discrimination test, only do it if you want to know about it too. It is an important Infinium capability in trash littered tailing environs, and it would be nice to know if ATX has retained it. For all I know at present, the "iron check" is performing that function. No reason to do anything elaborate... for now just toss your pick on the ground and scan along it in zero and full discrimination... then we can see how the audio signal responds.

In any case, the above are only ideas that you may want to include into your videos. I think you can figure I'll acquire this unit in plenty of time to run some tests prior to my next prospecting season up here on the Shield. We'll be looking forward to any more of these instructive videos, with thanks Al. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Bearkat

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
"I believe by keeping the coil a bit further above ground and so not going to completion on the ground balance." Yes; thats exactly it Jim.
Discrimination test and demonstration video completed today...will be up on Youtube this
weekend.

Will put it here when its done on YT.

Alan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions