Rattle Snakes

Ahunter

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
It would depend on the temperature. Snakes are reptiles and cold blooded. They cannot regulate their body heat. So, during colder times they are lethargic and don't move around much. During excessive heat (mid-day summer), they lay up in the shade trying to cool.

The point is always be vigilant when in snake country. Move slowly. Don't put your hand where you can't see and wear snake leggings.

R

Ranger Paul

May I add that rattlesnakes are a vital part of the eco system. If you find one just give it plenty of room and enjoy them in THEIR habitat. Please don't harm them. Now, if you find one living under your porch, that's a little different story!

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Exactly.
If you see/hear a rattle snake, try to go the other direction and don't make any sudden moves! They won't strike you unless they think your going to step on them, or harm them. People who get bit USUALLY are toying with the snake, prodding at it with sticks or throwing rocks at it.

I had my first encounter with a rattler a few days ago. Scared the hell outta me. He was 1 and 1/2' away from me, but didn't start rattling until I was walking away. Thankfully he didn't strike at me. Seems kinda early for a snake to be out, but it's really warm here during the day now.

If you just take caution, and wear snake protection, you'll be fine. I don't wear gaiters (sp?), but should...

T

TreasureTales

Rattlesnakes are often out at night and on roadways when the days are hot, the pavement radiates the heat at night so they can get charged up on paved roads. When the days are cold, they tend to stay in their tunnels and live on the last meal they ate prior to going into their semi-hibernation. Like others have said, they are cold-blooded and don't move around so much when it's cold. Still, when in snake country, it's always best to err on the side of caution and never put feet or hands in places you can't see completely...ie, crevices, between rocks, under logs, etc. Snakes can be anywhere at just about any time. Something might make them go into the open even when it's wintertime so don't rely on the temperature - always use caution. Most snakes want to get away from you as much as you want to get away from them. Although, they are predators and will advance if they can't flee. A good quality pair of snakeproof gaitors might alleviate some of your trepidation.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 357 mag fulla snake shot is all the protection I care to wear, Gators are good for legs but we humans have a whole lotta acreage that ain't on your legs!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

sixshooter

Greenie
Feb 27, 2007
Ridgecres, Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Eagle and Minelab GP 3000
Snakes are sometimes a mans best friend!!!!! Long story, but the short of it is my biggest gold nugget (6.5 grams) found near (Randsburg, Ca) area was soley due to a 4' Mojave Green Rattlesnake just about eight feet in front of me!! Yes, it sent shivers down my spine and sent me off in a southeastern direction soiled drawers n all (kiddin). Just about seventy-five yards out I got a loud crisp signal....six to seven inches down was the "cornflake" in red dirt. I found it with my Whites XLT....yes my White's XLT in the prospecting mode. A little bit of a note.....that snake steered me in the right direction for that nugget....I have been back over that ground a few more times, and nothing. Right place at the right time! I pack a 357 mag and could have easily have "popped" him......but I didn't. With the heavy rains from last year the food chain has multiplied ten fold. I have seen more field mice, snakes, rabbits, Bobcats, quail and chukar than I have seen all my years living in the desert. So, do be cautious.....(us that wear the headphones) proper gear and a good eye watching out will probably keep you safe. I now have the utmost respect to all our critters that share our hunting grounds......for more reasons than one.
I will post a pic of the nugget here in a few days.
Marshall

OP
OP
J

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
Hey 6shooter,
That's pretty cool, it was just meant to be..can't wait to see that nug :D

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine you respect and I'll kill every last one I see. MANY other snakes in Kalif to take care of the rodents and i don't hug trees either.John

sixshooter

Greenie
Feb 27, 2007
Ridgecres, Ca
Detector(s) used
Hey Hoser,
We all have our opinions and actions.....some not always the nicest. Maybe one day you'll be "hugging a tree" while the rattler you shot at and missed sinks his fangs in your nutsack!

ps.........kalif is spelled Calif

sixshooter

Greenie
Feb 27, 2007
Ridgecres, Ca
Detector(s) used
We all know the risks......in anything and everything that we do....so precautions should be taken. You wear headphones.................use your eyes, wear boots, wear chaps. I think they taught us that in drivers education.....beware of your surroundings, be on the defensive....you never know what you may encounter. For those that dive.....do you speargun a shark just because it happens to be in it's own home that you're invading by treasure hunting??? I think you all get my point......I'm not against defending my life......but when I can avoid taking the life of something else just because I don't like it....I won't and it would be wrong if I did. Bottom line....know your environment and take precautions!

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Amona said:
Sixshooter
So, do be cautious.....(us that wear the headphones)

That's the point,..How you're going to hear a rattle snake if you wear a headphone??

Amona

They make open eared headphones that when wearing, you can still hear things going on around you. I have a pair, though I haven't used them to go detectoring, I plan to. I can hear the beeps, and things around me if I need to.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
sixshooter said:
Hey Hoser,
We all have our opinions and actions.....some not always the nicest. Maybe one day you'll be "hugging a tree" while the rattler you shot at and missed sinks his fangs in your nutsack!

ps.........kalif is spelled Calif

I agree, We go to Ridgecrest a lot for Endurance Rides (with horses) and I have seen a few. Give them the respect they deserve. Then chop their heads off with a shovel (just kidding) Rattlesnakes are a needed resource (what kind I have no idea)

snakejim

Dec 18, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer, White's GM3, GMT, GM24K, White's Pulse scan TDI, Sierra Pulse Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Deep fried like catfish, sure are tasty!
LOL
;)

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
I have been told they taste like chicken.
I wonder if we can still buy canned rattele sanke from Cabella's catalog?

T

TreasureTales

It's kinda funny that people go to extremes. Too many dead rattlers can't be good, nor can too many live rattlers. Look at all the deaths and injuries as a result of ending the hunting of mountain lions in this state. When hunting was allowed, lions feared people and stayed away - yet they never became scarce, either. Now that we haven't been able to hunt them for 20 years, they kill and maim and scare and eat the family pets. Too much extremism is not good in either direction, IMO. I won't kill a rattlesnake if I can step away from it, but I've know some to be very aggresive and in those circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to kill them.

Real tree huggers are not welcome around my campfire, so don't even ask. And it is California, OK?

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
TreasureTales said:
It's kinda funny that people go to extremes. Too many dead rattlers can't be good, nor can too many live rattlers. Look at all the deaths and injuries as a result of ending the hunting of mountain lions in this state. When hunting was allowed, lions feared people and stayed away - yet they never became scarce, either. Now that we haven't been able to hunt them for 20 years, they kill and maim and scare and eat the family pets. Too much extremism is not good in either direction, IMO. I won't kill a rattlesnake if I can step away from it, but I've know some to be very aggresive and in those circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to kill them.

Real tree huggers are not welcome around my campfire, so don't even ask. And it is California, OK?

I agree and isn't that the TRUTH

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
You don't see snakes in the winter. On a rare warm winter day they can appear, but for the most part they stay posted up. It's always a good idea to where snakeleggings when in snake country.

On the other side topic:
As long as its legal, I use a snakeshot on them too, or a sharp shovel, or whatever's handy. To legally harvest reptiles in California a fishing licence is needed, except for rattlers that is.

I believe in Animal Rights. Yeah, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Remember, Timithy Treadwell loved bears, so much that he became part of one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread