GPS Software For Metal Detecting

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is an App for your Android phone, sorry iPhone user you need to switch over to use this App. The App charts your movement while your out with your detector. I have installed it on my Galaxy 4 but have yet to try it due to my shoulder but I plan on it. There is a free version and a pay version ($3.95) Tect O Trak <<<< Link

Kinda like Minelabs Etrac

Tect O Trak.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is pretty cool. I will have to try it out.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I first installed the software I was apprehensive that the software was going to work in Airplane mode on my cellphone. Where I metal detect I have no cellphone connection. The nearest tower is a good 6 miles by birds-eye and it’s an A&TT/Verizon tower.

I set out to chart my walk through my sister’s neighborhood using the Tect O Trac and Goggles My Tracks. Below are four images. The first image on the left is with cellphone service on and the right image is with the cellphone in Airplane mode. There is a slight change in the two images as the image with the cellphone service on did a better job of charting. The next set of images are that of Googles My Track. The images again are with and without cellphone service.

To my amazement both software’s did as they are designed to do. The most important is to track my movement with no cell phone service. Will the software replace my stand alone GPS, no. Being outdoors I need a fighting chance to be able to make an emergency cellphone call if needed. For the relic hunters that are working parks, school yards, etc. the software I give a thumbs up. Even for the gold hunters working outback and has the ability to charge their cellphone I give the software a thumbs up.

When you’re in a wide open space having the ability to at least have an idea as to where you have walked is great, but like all GPS’s they all suffer from pinpoint accuracy and the end user needs to take this in account while using any GPS.

AAA.jpg BBB.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
I just downloaded that app.....Looks Good :)

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it, don't know if I would put anything of value in the finds box though :)

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're on iOS there is a fitness tracker that will make a map of your path. So for personal reference / tracking, that might work. I'll have to ask the person I know what the name of it is, but pretty sure it's something 'Tracker' too. Just putting it out for consideration.

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Garrett Pro pointer, Tect O Trak
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like it, don't know if I would put anything of value in the finds box though :)

Yes it will.. :) You just need to know how to use Tect O Trak.

Here's how I use it :- I start up GPS. Mark out my search area. Then, when I'm ready to start detecting I just hit the 'Start tracking' button. Now this is the clever bit.. I then just put my phone away and carry on detecting as normal!!

The next time a look at Tect O Trak will be only when I've been there a good few hours, and I have reached the point where I am uncertain where to go next. A quick look at Tect O Trak will show me the areas I haven't been, or haven't covered as much. By searching those highlighted areas, anything you find there will be a direct result of information you got from Tect O Trak. So yes, it will add to finds box. I have experienced myself many times.

HH & GL

moxford

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MapMyRun is free and you don't have to worry about what they're doing with your "finds" and "find locations." =)

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MapMyRun is free and you don't have to worry about what they're doing with your "finds" and "find locations." =)

That's because its not a metal detecting app! Does it record color separated tracks on the same map? Can you stop, quit, and resume at a later date?

There are loads of apps just like mapmyrun. But there is only one app like Tect O Trak! :thumbsup:

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I misread what you said there! Who's they? If you had read back on this post, you will have discovered that I am just a detectorist like you. Only difference is that I'm trying to create a useful app for us to use at my own time and expense. Your inference that there maybe something dodgy about the app does not help the cause at all. :(

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been using this software for a while. I have no issues with it. It works just as it is stated. I would be more worried with a smart phone and taking pictures then posting those pictures online. Embedded in those images is everything anyone wanted to know of the location where those images were taken.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wormslayer, Being overly sensitive to criticism also doesn't help your cause either. People patting you on the back won't give anything to make your program better or how to market it better.

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear it! :thumbsup:. Heres a secret tip for you. On the main screen, hold down/long press the coil in the logo Tect O Trak. ( you may have to do it twice the first time..)

HH & Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread