NEED HELP CHOOSING WHICH DETECTOR TO BUY!!!

scottyb

Jan 17, 2013
Hey fellers,

i'm trying to decide which detector to buy and its drivin me crazy!! my brother who is currently using a Minelab GP3000 says to get a Minelab GP series PERIOD!!! He's been detecting 20 yrs now and i dont doubt his expertise.. but $5-6k is a HUGE chunk of change and i need to finance a large portion of this purchase..he says the areas we are detecting in make the Minelab the only option..i'm just not convinced that maybe the GARRETT APX which is half the cost wont work just as well!!! i am not completely new to detecting but i am a rookie at this type of prospecting... i have used his gp3000 with decent results..the problem is, i have not tried any other brands.we prospect/detect in new mexico and arizona primarily which we all know is highly mineralized..i prefer to buy new to avoid getting someone elses headache along with the warranty and the finance options that are available..also buying used limits the finance options..my lil brother is biased, as he has had great results with his minelab and HAS used many other brands..just cant quite get him to understand why i am considering a different brand..(brothers...oooof)....any input is greatly appreciated!!! thanks in advance..
Scotty b

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever MD you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For around the same or a little less depending which GP you are looking at you could have the best of both worlds. ATX (PI) and Eureka Gold or GB2 (VLF).

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the market for a pi gold detector also. Watched all the videos only to find out most are being made by garrett dealers. When Steve Herschbach say if he can only have one it would be the gpx thats all I needed to hear.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
But,,, he also says most people would be just as good off with a VLF.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The TDI SL w/ the 7.5" mono Aussie coil would be another excellent mid-range PI choice and competitive with the ATX at finding the gold($1000. less too) Use the savings to buy a good VLF(GMT, GB Pro, GB2)

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kind of weird getting quoted like that. I'm flattered.

If your brother invited me I would bring my GPX 5000. If he said no Minelabs allowed I would take my ATX. Or maybe my TDI. If he said no PI detectors allowed I would like to know more about the gold size but knowing no more than I know right this second I would probably grab my Gold Bug Pro with 10" x 5" DD coil.

I'm not sure what you would like to hear. That an ATX is every bit as good as a GPX 5000 for less than half the price? It's not. Could you maybe do about as well with the ATX and save a bunch of money? Perhaps.

I just got invited to do a little exploring at a place I have never been. In theory I should just take my GPX 5000, right? Well, I am inclined right now to take my ATX that I have rigged up with control box in backpack so I can use an Infinium 10" x 5" DD coil on a bare rod. I am not obsessing over whether that is going to be a bad call or not. I know I can find gold with the GPX 5000. I know I can find gold with the ATX. I suppose I could grab my GMT - I know I can find gold with it.

I truly believe it is the person running the detector that finds the gold. My detectors are nothing without me, and I sure am not giving them all the credit. I am a good prospector and a good detectorist and if there is gold to be found I have a pretty good shot at finding some of it. I am not saying that to brag. I am saying it to say that if you are a good prospector, if you are good with detectors, you can go find gold. I try to regularly post finds with a variety of detectors on purpose. It is not hard. Give me a decent machine, I will go find gold with it. If you Google around you will see I find gold with all sorts of detectors. You can too. But you have to work hard at it. If you fail, you can't blame your detector. If you score, don't give credit to the dumb machine. Your work, your hard effort found the gold.

And in my opinion, that is just the way it is.

Sorry, no easy answers. I sure would like to hear what you decided to do and how it worked out though.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look at posted video on a test between GB2 and ATX on this forum as no comparison,GB2 rocks as usual-John

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What does Steve say the best detector for the money is? That's what I am curious of. GB2?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What does Steve say the best detector for the money is? That's what I am curious of. GB2?

For who? For what? Best for the money does not mean least expensive.

What is the best truck for the money? The best gun for the money? The best fishing pole for the money?

The list on the left tells you what for me personally is the best detector for the money.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Steve said in an earlier post he can find gold with nearly any MD. Its totally up to the operator. The MD is a tool, extension/path to Steve's ears.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know, it was a stupid question. I was thinking that maybe the answer would be an orignal Gold Bug, as you can get them for 350 all day, or a Garrettt Gold Stinger,same price, or teh GPX 5000 was such an awesome machine that the value can't be touched. Again, sorry for sidetracking everyone.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kazcoro... no need to apologize for asking questions. Without questions and dialogue these forums would quickly die. The only "stupid" question is the one we don't ask for fear of appearing foolish or whatever reasons.

The GoldBug Pro is a very good value lightweight VLF for the price. It will respond to shallow sub-grain gold and will go deep in the all-metal mode for larger stuff. Moreover, it serves as a fine relic hunter and although not the best choice by any stretch... it can be used for coin hunting. Suggest you do a search for Trinityau / Ray Mills posts to this forum re: Goldbug Pro results from the field. Ray is a longtime, broadly experienced, highly successful nuggethunter. He would not use this unit if it did not perform to his satisfaction.

Jim.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I echo what Steve and Jim say. Read Steve's posts again very carefully. Go to his site and read what he posts about detectors.

He's one of the straightest shooters on the subject I've ever read. He really is all about what's best for you as the nugget hunter, not what's best for the person selling you the detector.

That kind of advice is the genuine gold being given away today on this thread.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I own a Garrett ATG and I'm happy with it so far. Since you don't want to drop 6k on the GPX5k. Then I'd go with the ATX. That's my next pic for a PI machine. Plus I'm thinking about a Gold Bug 2 and not the pro, just because it's got the kHz. The GB2 Pro actually has 17 kHz.

That said. Go with what is comfortable for you to use. Then of course what you're hunting for. Just like Steve has said. If you believe in what you're using, then you'll find what you're looking for. It just may not be today.

The PI isn't the answer to it all. There will be some places where it's too hot/cold for it. So that's where a good VLF comes in.
The choices I made above are choices that could change for my next purchase. I know if Steve can find gold (and it was small gold) on the ATX, then I know I'd rather spend half the cost. Just my .02 worth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread