The Best Type of Metal Detector Has Two Sensors For Long Range Detection

Jan 25, 2014
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Differential GMR Gradiometer with two sensors for long range directional detection.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Your Metal Detector Lacks

The problem with most metal detectors is that you are only looking at a small area, the surface area of your coil. You have to be right on top of your target to get a reflected signal to detect it. The problem is that the area that you are searching is large and your coil is relatively very small. You could spend all day searching an area the size of a football field and still miss stuff!

The answer is to have a device which doesn't relay on a reflected signal but detects subtle changes in the earth's magnetic field made by any metal nearby. By having two super sensitive GMR sensors separated by 8-10 feet you could view the different readings and know that there is metal in any given direction. Following that line eventually you would have identical readings on both sensors as you approach the target. Turning 90 degrees you would then balance the two readings by moving left or right. When balanced, you would be standing directly on top of your target! You may have walked 50-100 feet to stand directly on top of it in a matter of minutes.

Each sensor has its own meter measuring the magnetic field intensity. You could then spin in a circle looking for the greatest differences in readings to find you next target. Stop and follow that line to your next target. Efficient and quick, the answer to long range detection.

[email protected]

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a load of.. :censored:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Your Metal Detector Lacks

The problem with most metal detectors is that you are only looking at a small area, the surface area of your coil. You have to be right on top of your target to get a reflected signal to detect it. The problem is that the area that you are searching is large and your coil is relatively very small. You could spend all day searching an area the size of a football field and still miss stuff!

The answer is to have a device which doesn't relay on a reflected signal but detects subtle changes in the earth's magnetic field made by any metal nearby. By having two super sensitive GMR sensors separated by 8-10 feet you could view the different readings and know that there is metal in any given direction. Following that line eventually you would have identical readings on both sensors as you approach the target. Turning 90 degrees you would then balance the two readings by moving left or right. When balanced, you would be standing directly on top of your target! You may have walked 50-100 feet to stand directly on top of it in a matter of minutes.

Each sensor has its own meter measuring the magnetic field intensity. You could then spin in a circle looking for the greatest differences in readings to find you next target. Stop and follow that line to your next target. Efficient and quick, the answer to long range detection.

[email protected]

Since this is your first post this smells of spam, or at the very least your trying to sell. Only Charter Members and supporting vendors can sell here...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
In reading Mr. Chapala's post, it sounds like he read an article in a magazine somewhere about GMR, got this "idea", and that's all there is. Wishful thinking. No prototype, much less a product.

Magnetometry has been around since the invention of the dip compass about 500 years ago. Anyone who is familiar with magnetometry can easily figure out that Mr. Chapala's proposal is useless. But what the heck, at least it wasn't a "swivelly thingy" like the title of the thread seemed to suggest.

--Dave J.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bla, blah, blah....

Please do yourself and the rest of us a favor. There is a specific subforum here for the discussion of dowsing, LRL, and all that other hokum. Go talk about the LRL you make over there and the rest of us boring metal detector users will leave you alone with your own kind. When you come out here talk about them, you are fair game for rebuttals.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang!! And here I was hoping I wouldn't have to put my hip boots on today!!

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
@ Jason: Mr. Chapala's proposal wasn't a pseudoscience LRL, it's just a bad idea about how to use magnetometers that seemed to him like a good idea at the time he thunk it up. At this point he's probably embarrassed to admit that he even posted it (for starters, we haven't seen him jump in here to further explain it).

He doesn't seem to think it's a pseudoscience LRL, otherwise he'd presumably have posted in the LRL forum. His poor choice of username and thread title threw a few people off.

If Mr. Chapala really did get a harebrained scheme (as opposed to a con game which I don't believe it was), posting it where it would get critiqued was the right thing to do even if it may have led to disappointment, and he's got my sympathy. We've all had harebrained schemes. And, it's not unusual for a harebrained scheme to get a lot of time (and expense) wasted on it because it wasn't exposed to informed critique. Thanks to this miracle we call the Internet, nowadays there is ready access to informed critique, the downside being that getting shot down happens in public.

--Dave J.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
@ Jason: Mr. Chapala's proposal wasn't a pseudoscience LRL, it's just a bad idea about how to use magnetometers that seemed to him like a good idea at the time he thunk it up. At this point he's probably embarrassed to admit that he even posted it (for starters, we haven't seen him jump in here to further explain it).

He doesn't seem to think it's a pseudoscience LRL, otherwise he'd presumably have posted in the LRL forum. His poor choice of username and thread title threw a few people off.

If Mr. Chapala really did get a harebrained scheme (as opposed to a con game which I don't believe it was), posting it where it would get critiqued was the right thing to do even if it may have led to disappointment, and he's got my sympathy. We've all had harebrained schemes. And, it's not unusual for a harebrained scheme to get a lot of time (and expense) wasted on it because it wasn't exposed to informed critique. Thanks to this miracle we call the Internet, nowadays there is ready access to informed critique, the downside being that getting shot down happens in public.

--Dave J.
Man that's the truth..

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Show me the money! Prove it! I want to see pictures and a movie if possible. :camera:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
GoldenSluice, you're missing the point. There was never anything more than a harebrained idea. The poor guy read a story about how great GMR is (not having read the unwritten story of its limitations), got the idea of differential vector magnetometry to put GMR to use (in principle a sound idea), and then went off the deep end dreaming up what could be accomplished in actual application. With the end market app (supposedly) in sight, he figured that with a little interest drummed up here, he could do the investment to crank out a product so quick that nobody would notice that he was calling himself a "maker" before there was even a prototype.

The funny thing is, that with sufficient engineering investment, the apparatus could have been built. The problem is that it would not have produced the results that Mr. Chapala was dreaming that it would.

It was never an "LRL". Mr. Chapala's concept of differential vector magnetometry was based on real physical science. The problem was that he didn't understand the application.

--Dave J.

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites Gold Master, Whites TM 808, Garrett AT PRO, H3 Super Alien
Primary Interest:
Other
This sounds like a Nano-Ionic Resonance device. Which works well and performs as advertised. But if your sensors need to be 8 to 10 feet apart. Doesn't this make it a bit impractical to use in the field. And is it programmable for a single mineral or just mineral in general. I want to find only what I am looking for. Not a bunch of junk. Seems like it needs a lot of fine tuning.

Last edited:

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry I don't believe you! PERIOD!

adaair

Jul 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
u5uzadaq.jpg

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using my GMR detector for several years with terrific success....I can scan football field sized areas in a third of the time.. :thumbsup:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
"Efficient and quick" WHY AIN'T YOU RICH???????????

Maybe the man has a job.
Do you really think Snoop dog is the best singer in the world?

Maybe the best and brightest minds have other obligations that hinder them from building metal detectors for hobbyists that will happily buy crappy ones for $2500 regardless of their cheaply fabricated shoddy construction, scam gimmicks, and antiquated technology.
LRDM, thank you for the insight.........

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread