New to nugget hunting with detector?

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
I have not used a Lobo St personally but I do believe you have as good a machine as the MXT and possibly the GMT for nugget hunting, the same fellow designed all three detectors. Dave Johnson. His name generally pops up when talking good VLF nugget detectors.

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. I guess the next thing is to get out and start swinging the coil and learning it.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A great big welcome to the forum.

Go online to see what user videos (Youtube, etc.) you can find. Read some good books and articles on nugget hunting. It's not like coin shooting. Gold often has a very soft sound, faint disturbances in your threshold, etc. Just a disturbance in your threshold can mean you might be passing over a piece of gold. If a manual didn't come with your machine, find one online and know it backwards and forwards. Know how "hot" or "cold" the ground you'll be detecting in is. Know how to deal with hotrocks, interference, etc.

If you can join a club that has some claims that's a good way to learn the ropes and perhaps get some solid advice from fellow nugget shooters.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Lanny. I think joining a club would be a real good idea. Get together with some folks that already know the ropes. Thanks again.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use it in All Metal - all the time when nugget shooting and get a good pair of headphones. The LST is a GREAT gold nugget hunter and has found a lot of gold for me!

Attachments

• z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 232
  • map 017.jpg
    map 017.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 95

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
There are VLF units arguably better than the Lobo ST (I'd argue that), but nobody disputes that the Lobo ST is a competent gold machine. Since it's what you actually have, use and master it and don't worry about the others.

And don't forget to read "The Book" Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector (online for free):
http://www.fisherlab.com/Hobby/davejohnson/Dave'sGoldbook-reders.pdf

and also join a local chapter of the GPAA.

--Dave J.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread