Pulse induction detector alternatives to Minelab GPX series?

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting for about a year and a half in Arizona with my Gold Bug Pro. I've been hitting some areas sometimes weekly that are known gold producers (Las Guijas, Greaterville) and still haven't had any luck finding nuggets.
Recently I upgraded to the 10" DD coil for my GBP to try and get a little more depth out of my detector. The areas I detect have alluvial gold and the miners that have worked these areas dug down into the gravel and bedrock for the nuggets. The gold out here is deep and naturally the areas that are gold bearing are extremely mineralized; white floater quartz everywhere, dark red soil and hot rocks at every step. I've been detecting an area recently with magnetite boulders the size of basketballs! Swing the GBP near one of those and the thing goes nuts.
I don't feel I'm getting enough depth out of my VLF detector or enough ground balancing or discrimination for these extremely mineralized areas. My chances of finding surface nuggets within the first few inches of over burden that my GBP can sniff through just doesn't seem to be cutting it. My GBP feels like a toy out here, these areas have already been hit for years by other guys with VLF detectors so anything within the first few inches of ground is long gone.
So I'd like to upgrade to a pulse induction detector. However a $4-5$k Minelab GPX just isn't in my budget. Are there any viable PI alternatives to the GPX series that might be a little less expensive?

Upvote 0

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
If the lot was had any semblance of being level at all,all you would have to do is run a tractor with a brush clearer behind it for about 30 minutes and everything would be down to the 2" level upon completion. A rhino 272 brush PTO brush clearer pulled and powered by a TT75A New Holland or any 45 or more horsepower tractor has the capacity to cut a six foot wid swath containing stalks and trunks up to four inches wide..... it would do that job as easily as if it were cutting through air......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread