Whites SST

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am looking at purchasing a Whites SST. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about this machine? This would be a starter machine for me and is in my price range. Would use in search of gold, gold rings, gold coins and other older valuable coins. Possibly square nails. Any help would be appreciated.

Goldenmojo

Upvote 0
OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got SST (from a forum mbr) for checking my drywasher piles to make sure I didn't leave any gold for someone else. I also use it in parks. It sees everything! Learning the audio is most important. I just got it a month ago, so still learning it. Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In this thread, you got some great advise from some of the best folks around. Only thing I can add is to consider used (make sure it is not a knockoff) if you are looking for something less expensive. That way, you still have a good machine and one you can have confidence in. The problem with buying a lessor detector, with the idea of upgrading later, is you will quickly dislike your first purchase, knowing there are better machines out there. It is difficult enough to metal detect (actually the detecting is fairly easy...it is all the holes you dig that wear you out) that compromising on the detector is typically a bad idea. Anyway, that is my two cents.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went on Ebay a couple of years ago and found a Tesoro Diablo II in perfect condition for $200. I sent it into Rusty at Tesoro, and he checked it out and retuned the coil to the control box for me for free. So for about 1/3 of the price of an Lobo Super Traq, I got a manual GB machine with a manual tune and an auto tune mode, adjustable for soil mineralization, that hits on nuggets smaller than what the LST does. This is the kind of used starter machine that is perfect for a beginner, for a small monetary outlay.

Last edited:

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected and have edited my post that said different - thank you. The SST does have a toggle to enable ground tracking or to lock it. The SGT is locked into tracking mode. You can of course find gold with the SST, as can be said of any detector. In my opinion however there are better options for the money.

I know this is a really old thread but I don't think I have seen a definitive answer to this question ...

Is the SST just a de-contented M6 (hard wired to no discrimation and 7 tones, 2 position trigger instead of the M6's 3 position) with the 6x10 DD coil?
Or does it have gain and/or tracking tweaks? Some of the original advertising made claims like 'gain of the MXT with tracking range of the GMT' but that may be marketing speak, not really any different that the M6. I suppose a minor hardware change, maybe a resistor value change, could provide those tweaks ... just not sure that really happened.
The firmware for the SST is exactly the same as the M6, the display even says 'M6'.

Stated another way, if you put the 6x10 DD coil on an M6, turned the discrimation all the way down and switched to 7 tone mode ... would it perform exactly like an SST ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread