Minn nuggets- now what?!

B&E prospecting

Feb 9, 2013
Hey all, Where should a person go to get a nugget (4.5 oz copper/gold) verified and recognized?

image-1061903482.jpg

Im not looking to cash in, just thinking a 4.5oz nugget in Minn is like Moses DVD collection. :)
I also found a 1.6oz silver nugget with a bounty hunter type MD.

image-3266842589.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any jeweler should be able to help you. Where are you in Minnesota? I am originally from Fargo..

OP
OP
B&E prospecting

B&E prospecting

Feb 9, 2013
Any jeweler should be able to help you. Where are you in Minnesota? I am originally from Fargo..

Im in the Brainerd area. I found the 4.5oz in between Little Falls and Long Prairie. Silver nugget in Duluth. Ty

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
B&E,

That's a beautiful mixed metal nugget! Fantastic find.

The silver nugget is a great find too!

All the best, and many congratulations,

Lanny

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The 1st picture looks like a copper specimen. Are you sure it also has gold as that would be unusual. As a copper specimen it may or may not be uncommon. A jeweler won't be able to help you with the copper piece. The silver piece a jeweler could test it and see it reacts to acid properly but that is all. Try either a mining museum or Bureau of Mines and Minerals if there is one of those in your area. Otherwise try looking for a rock/gem shop or maybe a club of rock/gem collectors. If they are uncommon a museum might be interested, otherwise if not uncommon they are nice finds but not worth much. Dennis

OP
OP
B&E prospecting

B&E prospecting

Feb 9, 2013
The 1st picture looks like a copper specimen. Are you sure it also has gold as that would be unusual. As a copper specimen it may or may not be uncommon. A jeweler won't be able to help you with the copper piece. The silver piece a jeweler could test it and see it reacts to acid properly but that is all. Try either a mining museum or Bureau of Mines and Minerals if there is one of those in your area. Otherwise try looking for a rock/gem shop or maybe a club of rock/gem collectors. If they are uncommon a museum might be interested, otherwise if not uncommon they are nice finds but not worth much. Dennis

Ty Dennis. Im not 100% about the copper piece but i found i pure green, cleaned it in Tarnx- left a small part green to remember- but now its oxidizing again and the gold is not! Im sure the gold in it is heavily saturated with copper so its not 24k or anything. Ive scratch tested against porcelain and each shows a different color. My metal detector goes nuts over it, bouncing between gold and penny. I will check for a Bureau around here.

OP
OP
B&E prospecting

B&E prospecting

Feb 9, 2013
Today I received the acid test kit! First thing I tested was a smashed gold ear-ring that had 3 (confirmed) diamonds in it—-18k. Then I tested my copper specimen. The copper part was quickly eliminated by the 10k acid but the “gold-ish” colored part held firm til the 14k acid. Even some of the definitive copper spots held up longer to the 10k acid by almost a minute. So based on that I would say quite strongly that it has a concentration of 10k-14k of gold in it! A unique find overall.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread