Coils are important, dont be cheap..second most important tool.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Relichunter1
  • 1 Post By Lanny in AB

Thread: Coils are important, dont be cheap..second most important tool.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2010
    California
    Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
    149 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Coils are important, don't be cheap..second most important tool.

I was going to just post a picture of my latest find..a small 1 gram nugget with my new coil. But instead I wanted to share my thoughts on coils. Like many of you folks, when I got into detecting I purchased a vlf machine with it's stock coil, usually a elliptical coil. Have you considered buying and trying out the other coils the manufacturer makes for you particular machine? I would highly recommend that you do. As you know not all hunting sites are created equal, so the same coil may not be the proper coil to use. I have come to this realization a few years ago when I purchased my first PI machine. I have become a "Coil - Hog" I have many different sizes from small 5" coils to my largest a 20" round coil for deep targets but I only can use this large coil when the trash is out. Usually when i hit a new site and I find that there is a lot of trash i put on my 6" dd coil and pick out the trash..after I put on 11" and clear out the deeper trash and gold, last is my 20". Even after that, I put on a different coil made by another manufacturer and hit the same spots..and most of the time I find more trash and gold. Each coil looks at the ground differently.So, for all of you who know all this, disregard this information...but for those just getting into this game...of nugget-hunting..experiment..get some new coils, and hit the spots..again and again. persistence pays off ! okey..here is my little one with my new Detech coil..I have had this coil for 2 weeks now...and found a few, here is my latest.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Detech Nugg 1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	973835

us
    Apr 2013
    Helena, Montana
    Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
    143 times
    Metal Detecting and Prospecting
    That's a cool looking nugget. Nice find.

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5323 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Relichunter1 View Post
    I was going to just post a picture of my latest find..a small 1 gram nugget with my new coil. But instead I wanted to share my thoughts on coils. Like many of you folks, when I got into detecting I purchased a vlf machine with it's stock coil, usually a elliptical coil. Have you considered buying and trying out the other coils the manufacturer makes for you particular machine? I would highly recommend that you do. As you know not all hunting sites are created equal, so the same coil may not be the proper coil to use. I have come to this realization a few years ago when I purchased my first PI machine. I have become a "Coil - Hog" I have many different sizes from small 5" coils to my largest a 20" round coil for deep targets but I only can use this large coil when the trash is out. Usually when i hit a new site and I find that there is a lot of trash i put on my 6" dd coil and pick out the trash..after I put on 11" and clear out the deeper trash and gold, last is my 20". Even after that, I put on a different coil made by another manufacturer and hit the same spots..and most of the time I find more trash and gold. Each coil looks at the ground differently.So, for all of you who know all this, disregard this information...but for those just getting into this game...of nugget-hunting..experiment..get some new coils, and hit the spots..again and again. persistence pays off ! okey..here is my little one with my new Detech coil..I have had this coil for 2 weeks now...and found a few, here is my latest.
    What you say is profoundly true, and even people that have been at the detecting game for a while will benefit from what you've written, valuable information indeed.

A big thanks to you for taking the time to post it here, and thanks for the picture of your nugget finds!

All the best, and many thanks,

Lanny

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .
    EagleDown likes this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    23326 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Great post!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18392 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Very nice looking nugget - and worth more than gold weight as well I'm sure.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Feb 2010
    California
    Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
    149 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks guys....I feel if we have helpful hints, tips, that may help others in the game of nugget-hunting it would be a good idea to share it. DeepseekerADS...yes...it's a variety of crystalline called hopper gold specimen. Shes small, but shes a pretty. This Coil -Hog is waiting for his new one....16" R Mono Coiltek !

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links