Coils are important, dont be cheap..second most important tool.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coils are important, don't be cheap..second most important tool.

I was going to just post a picture of my latest find..a small 1 gram nugget with my new coil. But instead I wanted to share my thoughts on coils. Like many of you folks, when I got into detecting I purchased a vlf machine with it's stock coil, usually a elliptical coil. Have you considered buying and trying out the other coils the manufacturer makes for you particular machine? I would highly recommend that you do. As you know not all hunting sites are created equal, so the same coil may not be the proper coil to use. I have come to this realization a few years ago when I purchased my first PI machine. I have become a "Coil - Hog" I have many different sizes from small 5" coils to my largest a 20" round coil for deep targets but I only can use this large coil when the trash is out. Usually when i hit a new site and I find that there is a lot of trash i put on my 6" dd coil and pick out the trash..after I put on 11" and clear out the deeper trash and gold, last is my 20". Even after that, I put on a different coil made by another manufacturer and hit the same spots..and most of the time I find more trash and gold. Each coil looks at the ground differently.So, for all of you who know all this, disregard this information...but for those just getting into this game...of nugget-hunting..experiment..get some new coils, and hit the spots..again and again. persistence pays off ! okey..here is my little one with my new Detech coil..I have had this coil for 2 weeks now...and found a few, here is my latest. Detech Nugg 1.jpg

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was going to just post a picture of my latest find..a small 1 gram nugget with my new coil. But instead I wanted to share my thoughts on coils. Like many of you folks, when I got into detecting I purchased a vlf machine with it's stock coil, usually a elliptical coil. Have you considered buying and trying out the other coils the manufacturer makes for you particular machine? I would highly recommend that you do. As you know not all hunting sites are created equal, so the same coil may not be the proper coil to use. I have come to this realization a few years ago when I purchased my first PI machine. I have become a "Coil - Hog" I have many different sizes from small 5" coils to my largest a 20" round coil for deep targets but I only can use this large coil when the trash is out. Usually when i hit a new site and I find that there is a lot of trash i put on my 6" dd coil and pick out the trash..after I put on 11" and clear out the deeper trash and gold, last is my 20". Even after that, I put on a different coil made by another manufacturer and hit the same spots..and most of the time I find more trash and gold. Each coil looks at the ground differently.So, for all of you who know all this, disregard this information...but for those just getting into this game...of nugget-hunting..experiment..get some new coils, and hit the spots..again and again. persistence pays off ! okey..here is my little one with my new Detech coil..I have had this coil for 2 weeks now...and found a few, here is my latest.

What you say is profoundly true, and even people that have been at the detecting game for a while will benefit from what you've written, valuable information indeed.

A big thanks to you for taking the time to post it here, and thanks for the picture of your nugget finds!

All the best, and many thanks,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post!:icon_thumleft:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice looking nugget - and worth more than gold weight as well I'm sure.

OP
OP
Relichunter1

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys....I feel if we have helpful hints, tips, that may help others in the game of nugget-hunting it would be a good idea to share it. DeepseekerADS...yes...it's a variety of crystalline called hopper gold specimen. Shes small, but shes a pretty. This Coil -Hog is waiting for his new one....16" R Mono Coiltek !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread