First Day out with GBP

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got my Gold Bug Pro just at sunset last night. Swung on all the typical junk to learn sounds and practice playing with disc and manual ground balance. Today I was out in a new spot, cruzed a stretch of stream- not much good lookn ground, then hit a spot that some friends have pulled some nuggs from, spent about an hour and a half huntn but got skunked. Found lots of square nails but have faith I'll find something there with more time. Had a great day, hot and got sunburned- nice. Super Stoked on the GBP. Beautiful machine, light as a feather, lightning fast response, and Disc and Grnd Blnc/Grnd Grb adjust nice and smooth.

Happy Day - Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Light as a feather is right. I am amazed when I see my ten year old daughter swinging it.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations... a new detector is such a pleasure, I hope you'll have many wonderful experiences in the years to come. Your success at finding precious metals will in large part depend on placing yourself on ground with potential. Learn the unit and get comfortable, focus on locating good ground. Good luck and all the very best...

Jim.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Low and slow, don't be afraid to hit the trashy areas. It will run many folks off and if you clean some small areas off at a time, you may find some real nice patches underneath the trash. Good hunting and good health

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got my Gold Bug Pro just at sunset last night. Swung on all the typical junk to learn sounds and practice playing with disc and manual ground balance. Today I was out in a new spot, cruzed a stretch of stream- not much good lookn ground, then hit a spot that some friends have pulled some nuggs from, spent about an hour and a half huntn but got skunked. Found lots of square nails but have faith I'll find something there with more time. Had a great day, hot and got sunburned- nice. Super Stoked on the GBP. Beautiful machine, light as a feather, lightning fast response, and Disc and Grnd Blnc/Grnd Grb adjust nice and smooth.

Happy Day - Happy Hunting!

Sounds like you had a great time.

Keep swinging that machine. It's got the brains to get the job done once you get the coil over the gold.

Some of the great tips you've received are about getting the nugget shooter's brain working properly as well so as to maximize your chances of finding gold.

Lots of trash to dig, but there's still nuggets to be found. If you're digging square nails, the area hasn't been completely cleared yet, and you've still got a chance.

All the best with that shiny new machine,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the Koodos
Finished off a second day of detecting today with out any gold but I hade another great day. worked allot of shallow and exposed bedrock it and old hydro mineing area. Still finding nails that hadn't been touched yet which is good because I know the place has been hit hard. Have plans to go to a place with my partner that we found a nice nugget at a month or two ago.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the Koodos
Finished off a second day of detecting today with out any gold but I hade another great day. worked allot of shallow and exposed bedrock it and old hydro mineing area. Still finding nails that hadn't been touched yet which is good because I know the place has been hit hard. Have plans to go to a place with my partner that we found a nice nugget at a month or two ago.

You'll find that nugget as you stay dedicated to the task. Keep reading everything you can on the process, and keep doing your research on areas as well, for it will pay off eventually.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd recommend getting the 10" Fisher solid DD coil for the GBP. Adds depth but only hurts the sensitivity a little bit.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll get the 10" coil down the road some, gotta find some good gold first, and I like the little coil for now. My hopes weren't the highest in the area I hunted these two days, it was close to home and has been hit by nearly every gold miner in scott valley I would say. Two of my friends got 7 Oz's there a few years back, the biggest was a nugget just over an ounce! But I haven't heard of anything that nice being found since then. These two are the most avid detectorists around here that are my age. we were all born and raised together on the salmon river.
Thanks Lanny , I'm a dedicated guy. Just quite smoken cigs and drinkn in the last year, stay dedicated to detecting is much more pleasant.
Had planned a trip for today with my partner but wife had to work so I'm armchair mining today watchn the kids and researching.
Happy Days-Happy Hunting!
Adam

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll get the 10" coil down the road some, gotta find some good gold first, and I like the little coil for now. My hopes weren't the highest in the area I hunted these two days, it was close to home and has been hit by nearly every gold miner in scott valley I would say. Two of my friends got 7 Oz's there a few years back, the biggest was a nugget just over an ounce! But I haven't heard of anything that nice being found since then. These two are the most avid detectorists around here that are my age. we were all born and raised together on the salmon river.
Thanks Lanny , I'm a dedicated guy. Just quite smoken cigs and drinkn in the last year, stay dedicated to detecting is much more pleasant.
Had planned a trip for today with my partner but wife had to work so I'm armchair mining today watchn the kids and researching.
Happy Days-Happy Hunting!
Adam

Wow! You're showing some great dedication and determination!

You'll do to ride the river with as you keep learning how it's done.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That GBPro is a solid detector. Keep swinging it and you will start piling up the gold :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread