Pin pointer

b.jmining530

Mar 15, 2014
Oroville Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just started prospecting and am finding a lot of quarts with yellow golden parts going through them and want to know if it gold or not with out destroying the rocks. What is a good pinpointer that is not very expensive. Also what is the toughest one ? And always thanks for the info , many people on treasure net have been very friendly and a good source of information

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If they are small specks, the Falcon MD 20. Try to find a good one that's used. It's extremely sensitive (300 khz I believe), and it will do the job, but you'll have to pay more than for a cheap pinpointer, but you'll have the sensitivity to get the job done.

It won't cost you a thing to crush one of your smaller samples and pan it. That's an inexpensive way to see what you've got, but I'd use a sample you really don't care if you break it up. If you don't have any you can bear to crush, then you're back to your original jumping off point.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Garret and Minelab can be had for around $120+, but suggest you listen to Lanny's advise first.

Just say'n, Shep

OP
OP
b.jmining530

b.jmining530

Mar 15, 2014
Oroville Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, there is a couple that have gold , I saw the gold, but there are some other ones I am not sure about. To crush rocks just best them to powder with a heavy hammer?

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, there is a couple that have gold , I saw the gold, but there are some other ones I am not sure about. To crush rocks just best them to powder with a heavy hammer?

You'll need them in something so that the little pieces can't fly out. Some kind of deep, tough pot will do. If you're lucky, you can borrow a mortar and pestle as that comes with a sturdy pot and a heavy pound/crush style implement to powder up your sample.

I was out in the mountains prospecting once, came across and old hard-rock mine, detected a vein with my detector, took out a small sledge I always pack, crushed the sample in my steel gold pan, panned it out, and there was good flake gold in the vein! Easy way to do it too.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread