Whites Super Pulse Pro

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
White's Sierra Pulse Pro

I have been expecting this one and oddly enough I am pretty excited about it. "Why oddly" you ask?

Normally I tend to go for pure horsepower. Instead in the new White's Super Pulse Pro what we have is simplicity and killer bang for the buck, in a lightweight, well balanced detector. In a nutshell the Whites SPP is a TDI SL ground balancing pulse induction metal detector with the control set focused down to exactly what you need to hunt gold nuggets. And best of all White's broke through the $1000 price barrier offering the first ground balancing pulse induction (GBPI) metal detector for a manufacturer suggested list price of only $995!! And that, my friends, is something to be excited about!

The only caveat is the name. Sierra Pulse Pro implies this is some kind of super powerful professional PI. Don't let that mess with you and lead you to believe the SPP is something it is not. There is nothing new here per se. But again I am excited by this detector because I am a bit tired of heavy overly complicated expensive GBPI detectors. In my opinion this is just what the market needs. A White's customer can walk out the door after cutting a deal on a GMT and SPP together and have on heck of a fantastic combo gold getting setup that will get most gold under a wide range of conditions for way less money than most single GBPI detectors currently on the market.

The SPP is locked into the hot 10uS pulse delay mode for best gold sensitivity. The conductivity switch is eliminated to insure you hear all targets, but you still get the tone responses that help identify many ferrous items. Intriguing to me is that the model comes stock with a normal 12" mono coil instead of the 12" dual field. This gives up a tad on tiny gold but offers smoother performance in bad ground and hot rocks.

Anyway, kudos to Whites. I gotta have one of these for rough and tumble detecting in extreme terrain. Only three pounds, battery and speaker included. But I will need a smaller coil for most of what I do. I wonder if White's can be talked into selling it stock with a smaller coil?

More info at http://ca.whiteselec...erpulsepro.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve how does it compare to the ATX, seems very light for a pulse...

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATX is the more powerful unit as well it should be. But twice the weight and twice the price. Like everything in metal detector land it tends to be a matter of trade offs. I am a power user so if I had to choose I would choose the ATX. It is just too bad the ATX is so darn heavy!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This unit should be a big hit but I currently own 2 TDI SL's so I don't see any benefit in owning one. BTW Steve, the small White"s 7.5" Mono Aussie coil seems to do well on the small gold for me. In many of the hottest areas, I can turn the gain way up while backing down the ground balance.

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This unit should be a big hit but I currently own 2 TDI SL's so I don't see any benefit in owning one. BTW Steve, the small White"s 7.5" Mono Aussie coil seems to do well on the small gold for me. In many of the hottest areas, I can turn the gain way up while backing down the ground balance.

Great minds think alike - that is exactly the coil I want!

I agree, no advantage to SPP compared to SL. However, I may sell my regular TDI after getting the SPP. Not because the SPP gets better performance - it does not. But simply because the SPP would likely get more use. But we will see I do not want to rush that decision.

goldchaser3

Jun 21, 2010
The advertisement now states: "Free Second Loop Super Pulse 150 $149.95 value"
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the same coil housing as the (MXT) 5.3 coil, which is round and 6" I believe.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm glad to see that the North American companies are finally getting in the game! It's been a long wait.

All the best,

Lanny

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Classy little unit, I'll have to put one on the x-mas list this year. :D

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
The SPP is a fun little unit, my buddy bought one thursday, we played with it friday some, would hit hard on a 3 grain flat nugget, not so well on a 2.4 grain round fat one, not at all on a 1.7 grain test nugget I have. I love the light weight of the detector, he bought a MJ 9x5 folded mono saturday for it, he says its much more sensitive with that coil than the stock coils. I think for the price its a great detector. We will be giving the SPP some more testing next week in some old patches with the new MJ coil.

Last edited:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
this SSP is the one Jimmy Sierra had a huge hand in designing?

Steve, so true, if ya got the bucks. A White's customer can walk out the door after cutting a deal on a GMT and SPP together and have on heck of a fantastic combo,

SunriseBoy

Sep 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I really appreciate the no-nonesense talk here about these detectors. I'm on the cusp of buy an SPP or a GMT.

Will you tell me what the difference is please because 2cmorau said it would be a good combo to get both. Plus will the SPP cut it beach-hunting?

Thanks boys....Robin (yin not yang)

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
(Hope you don't mind me jumping in here Steve.)

VLF and Pulse makes up the combo.

Pulse is far better on insane or super-hot ground. (SPP)

VLF will find smaller gold(+ often far better discrimination to help rule out iron), but won't operate efficiently in insane ground.(GMT)

The combo gets you two different tools to cover a broader spectrum of detecting, thus the opportunity for more gold because of different systems designed for different purposes.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread