First Impression of new Minelab SDC 2300

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Steve… intended to comment on your write-up days ago, but it’s been a busy time lately what with family visiting and I’m still cleaning-up silver samples found three years ago. The photo below is nice example to spice up this post a bit…

I’ve read your article several times. I think you've presented your first impressions in a sensible, informative, and genuinely enthusiastic manner… a nicely crafted document. Forgive my saying so, but I did quietly smile when I read your reference to the Eureka… nice bit of discretion there!!! Well done.

Thanks for bringing this information forward such that readers can understand what this new introduction… the SDC 2300… can do for them in the goldfields and possibly finding additional service in other applications. You've always provided an impartial review of detectors regardless of make or model, and that is precisely why I enjoy reading your material.

It seems to me that it’s primary intended use is directed at small gold generally in the half-gram to gram range and less, with a distinction of being able to signal over such material in highly mineralized ground where prospecting-capable VLF units may struggle. That capability…coupled with ease of use, portability, and waterproofing… is the unit’s main selling point as I understand things. I also like that it is powered with four “C” cells… easily replaced in a pinch.

I hope you acquire one in time for your Alaska prospecting trip. I’ll certainly be interested to get your later impressions from extended use in the field. To reiterate an earlier post to you... despite that you may not see this post on the eve of your departure… be safe… good luck and good hunting.

Jim.
4.8 TROY OZ LEAF SILVER SF.JPG

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jim,

I am a lucky fellow. They say in life a person should follow their passions and somehow that did work out for me. Little did I realize when I got my first detector in 1972 that it would end up being a focal point for the rest of my life.

Funny thing about the SDC is all the emphasis it is getting for small gold, but I think mine will be finding plenty of chunky stuff. Small coils make me slow down and hunt better and by doing so I will inevitably get over some larger stuff also. Be interesting to see how it goes.

Off to Alaska in the morning - long drive and a couple stops along the way so I will be a bit scarce for awhile. I will have lousy Internet access and limited time so for the foreseeable future I have a dedicated thread going on my forum where I will post every day or two. I am aiming for it to be a photo diary of the trip. Should be fun to tag along, so to speak.

Take care and best wishes!

nycwalter

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just gonna be honest here and hope it doesnt hurt opies nor wnyone elses feelings.

First off, i dont detect regularly. Hell, honestly i havent detected in almost 15 yrsbut am getting back into it soon considering i just moved to the beach.

Here is my thing, this is a gorgeous detector and so is the atx. But i mean really, 3-4 grand for something that will do what 200 will do?

If i was looking for a car at a depth of 10 ft i could get a radio shack or walmart detector to find it.

I just dont see any real difference in detectors other than frequencies.

I mean really?

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im just gonna be honest here and hope it doesnt hurt opies nor wnyone elses feelings.

First off, i dont detect regularly. Hell, honestly i havent detected in almost 15 yrsbut am getting back into it soon considering i just moved to the beach.

Here is my thing, this is a gorgeous detector and so is the atx. But i mean really, 3-4 grand for something that will do what 200 will do?

If i was looking for a car at a depth of 10 ft i could get a radio shack or walmart detector to find it.

I just dont see any real difference in detectors other than frequencies.

I mean really?

Hello nycwalter… in the above post we have a highly experienced, well-known contributor willing to share some first impressions of a new PI unit. The SDC 2300 is advertised as improving PI response to small gold in tough mineralizations. But regardless whether the unit is priced at $200 dollars or $4000 dollars, we still benefit from Steve’s first impression at zero cost to us.

I’m glad to get his observations, and don’t mind posting an appreciative acknowledgement…it lets him know that I value his effort, and willingness to share his experience. Because he’s under no obligation to do so.

As a silver hunter over here in Ontario, neither this unit nor the ATX is likely to improve my results, and heavy units… particularly the ATX design… are simply unacceptable for long hikes in hilly country. As a hobbyist… frankly… I don’t like the price point any more than anyone else. But these observations don’t prevent me from trying to stay current with the latest technological offerings… and that means encouraging other members to post their findings to these forums.

It is much too early to draw serious conclusions about this unit’s performance over variable terrains. If the unit does as advertised, some prospectors will view it as an essential tool… at least in a niche role… while doubtless others... especially more casual hobbyists... will see things differently. Pricing aside, I think we can agree that given the choices available to us some 35 years ago, we can certainly value having these types of choices nowadays.

Your last statement “I just dont see any real difference in detectors other than frequencies” indicates that you are not familiar with the benefits of current ground-balancing PI technology… that include improving depth performance over more extreme ground mineralizations and in dealing with hotrocks.

All the very best with your beach hunting this summer...

Jim.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NYCWalter,

I know you don't want to rile folks up, but your post does show a pronounced lack of knowledge about the basics of metal detecting.

FIRST: There is NO $200 metal detector on the market that will see a car or anything else at 10 feet. Closest thing you can get to that is a Fisher FX3 (for about $500), which is basically a magnetometer which will only see ferrous metals. To get to ten feet of depth, you really need a two-box detector. They are very powerful, but WILL NOT find anything small. They are only for large finds deep underground (and voids/caves).

Second: If your beach is a saltwater beach, then get ready, because your $200 detector is just going to scream at you. All that mineralization in the salt water will play havoc on a cheap detector's electronics. Most people that beach detect use Minelab Excaliburs. Do you think that if ANY $200 detector would do what an Excalibur could do, that anybody would spend $1500? No, people spend $1500 on a Minelab Excalibur because it outdetects about anything else on a saltwater beach.

Before dismissing something so blatantly, you should do a little more research on the subject.

Good Luck - Mike

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah no reason to flame the post. Jim put it quite eloquently.

Personally I was a bit put off by the same post but hey~ I'm more interested in this new gadget from minelab. I saw one post, possibly and ozzy, that kinda makes me very curious about the machine. The price is right considering anything minelab usually costs what the series is :) SD2000, 2000 dollars, SD2100, 2100 dollars, GP Extreme~ well I thing minelab made a flub there ;), GP3000, 3000 dollars and so on. Hehh hehh.
For me I'm curious about the tech inside the 2300~ how much did they borrow and patch into it from their other series and were there any new goodies incorporated that make it better than a 2200 but less than say a 4000? I'd like to figure that out. For bush bashing it looks like an excellent machine weight and size. I travel a lot so something I don't have to break into 2 suitcases, sometimes 3, would be a god send.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread