Nugget Hunting in Georgia

M

mrsgoldigger

I have been researching for 2 months and still dont have a clue as to where to go in Georgia for FREE that is. My sister and I are going up to Dahlonega & around Lumpkin County Georgia next month (end of April) for our first Gold Panning & Nugget Hunting Trip.

I was wondering if anyone here has property up that way that we can get your permission to stop by and metal detect for nuggets. Anyone own any vacation property on a river, stream or creek? Just Asking..

Also, can anyone say what the weather is like around end of April in Georgia.. And should I invest in chest waders or Highbanker? What about water snakes in April - are they out then? Being that we are both Nugget Virgins, any help, tips or advice would be welcome...

Thanks for any info in advance...

MrsGoldiger
Sunny - Florida

Upvote 0

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Hey MrsGoldigger. I have been researching that area too, so I'll share some weather info with you. The weather in Dahlonega, in late April, supposedly averages around 72F for a daytime high and 43F for a nighttime low. Precipitation averages around 5" per month, in late April. That's a little too cool for me, since I'll be sleeping in my car, so I'm going up there in June, instead. The nearby, lower-lying areas aren't quite that cool though. The higher you get into the mountains, the colder it's going to be, especially at night. As for snakes, wild animals, free mining, etc. I have no clue. Let me know if you find anything out on those topics. Thanks for the link to that old Lumpkin map. That's a good one. ;) I'm going to try to print it out. SS

P.S. Here's a link to a weather website that has high and low average temperatures and precipitation for any town in the U.S. http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USGA0155_f.html
Just type in the city name in the drop down menu, where it says "change location". I have it set for Dahlonega already.

OP
OP
M

mrsgoldigger

I already researched the snake part.. The water moccasins are out in full force in June, that is why we moved our trip to end of april or middle of may. Thanks for the weather info.. We are gonna try and find a cabin to rent or a local cheapo motel.. I want to find enough gold to pay for my vacation.. LOL

Happy Hunting!

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
While it would be sweet to find enough gold to pay for your vacation, try to be realistic in your expectations. If you are renting a cabin, going out to dinner and hitting the tourist trap panning sites, you probably won't pay for your vacation, unless you get extremely lucky. I'm going to be living in my car, eating out of a cooler, rolling my own cigarettes and keeping my costs as low as possible, while hoping to find a few flakes and maybe a small nugget or two, in a remote stream bed, and attempting to pay for just my food and gas. Also, keep in mind that, if you decide to prospect in the wild, claim owners (and others pretending to be claim owners) could pull a shotgun on you and take your gold. I'd be more worried about them than snakes, bears or mountain lions. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm just trying to keep it real. It sounds like you have "the fever", like I did a while back. But I've learned to be more realistic in my expectations lately. If it were feasible for tourists to make a living, panning at those pay-per-bucket sites, then everyone would quit their jobs and move to Dahlonega. Although I've never been there, I fear that Dahlonega will be a lot like Las Vegas, with 95% of the vacationers going home broke. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. This was a hard post to write, because I know that it hurts to hear it. But very few people make a living off of prospecting. Those that do are very determined, have great equipment and most have their own claims. Even if you do find some gold, then you have to know how and where to sell it, without getting ripped off. So, please don't count on paying for your trip with your finds. Make sure that you can afford the trip, even if you don't find (or sell) a single flake. That being said, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will find enough to pay for your trip. I too would like to pay for my trip, but I'm being more realistic, by keeping my costs as low as possible (living in my car, paying no rent, no bills, eating very cheaply, avoiding the tourist traps and avoiding unnecessary expenses of any kind, etc.) I've also done months of research on nugget streams, metal detecting and wilderness survival techniques. Apparently, I didn't do any research on snakes though. ::) SS

OP
OP
M

mrsgoldigger

Yeah - I'm a dreamer for sure.. LOL... I dragged my sister across florida to the other coast thinking that we were going to find pirates gold, I got a sunburn and a hangover... but no gold.. I am thinking it will be the same in Georgia.. Good Luck To You..

Also, I am not trying to get rich, my hubby makes lots of money and takes very good care of me.. Hence my name - Mrsgoldigger

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Yeah, I tried md'ing the 1715 Fleet (sunken treasure ships) too. I didn't find a single thing near Sebastian Inlet. Not even a pull tab. I even went out right after a tropical storm, which is what they suggest. Unfortunately, I was about a mile north of one of the wrecks, because all of the beach accesses were closed due to the storm and I had to park somewhere remote and hike to the zone. I guess I miscalculated. Anyway, I quickly got discouraged after that episode. But, now I have the fever again. ::) I'm heading down to Miami first and will be working the beaches all the way from Miami to Charleston, SC., looking for leftovers from spring break and gold jewelry and pirate coins between Stuart and Sebastian. Then I'm heading for gold nugget country (the Carolinas and northern Georgia). I've never even seen the mountains, so it'll be a sightseeing trip for me, as well. I'll probably also head up the mountain chain to Niagara Falls, after that, if my car holds up and my cash reserves allow me to. Not to prospect, but just because I've never seen it. Maybe I'll run into you ladies, on your way back from Dahlonega, in May. You'll probably be leaving about the time that I get there. Jeff

49erjohn

Mar 21, 2007
mrsgoldigger, try the chestatee river in the chattahoochee national forest. its free and you can go anywhere in the national forest. like ole grubstake says take your metal detector and check your bed rock and all the cracks you can find. good luck and let us know much color you bring home. 49erjohn

oldguypromo

Jan 20, 2007
49er, Don't you have to get a permit to prospect in the National Forest and aren't there some areas off limits??

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
Non navigable rivers and streams in Georgia are owned by the adjacent land owner.To even float down such a river in a canoe or inner tube is considered trespassing.To remove anything from the streambed, without the owners permission,constitutes theft.

hasbeen

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
My post was in reply to mrsgoldigger's query about private land to nugget hunt.

hasbeen

49erjohn

Mar 21, 2007
i talked to the national forest department - tom fearrington - to confirm that you can" pan only" for gold anywhere on any national forest lands.49erjohn

oldguypromo

Jan 20, 2007
Hi 49er,

I know you can do more then pan in the national forests but you have to buy a 3 month gold mining permit. Some mining equipment is allowed to be used but some areas are off limits.

This is the only information I have been able to get up to now but I'm still trying.

If anyone else has information about this please chime in, thanks in advance.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, how did it go? I live in Athens, GA so I'm curious about nugget hunting. I've been panning a few times here in Georgia, but no gold MDing.

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
So, are you saying that panning is ok, but not metal detecting? I plan to do both, so I'd like to know. By the way, I found a good spot to do both, in Dahlonega. I'm kinda strapped for cash right now though, so if anyone would like to supply gold pans and related equipment, as well as shower access (motel or home), in exchange for food and my research on the area (including my latest creek find), please send me a personal message and maybe we can partner up. I own a Garrett Master Humter CX3 and a shovel, but am lacking other equipment. I am also living in my car right now, but free showers are a pain to find. However, I have a food stamp card, so food is not a problem. I've also done my homework on the area and believe I have a good spot (and it's probably legal too lol). Jeff

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm stuck at my teaching job for the summer. I personally haven't been MDing for Gold in Georgia. I been panning in a few locations, though. Not sure on the MDing rules in National Forest but I do know the Georgia State parks forbid metal detecting in the text at their website. Can't see any reason that it wouldn't be OK on private land.

HH.

dven55

Greenie
May 10, 2013
Marietta, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Will be an At pro!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes you can pan for gold and use small hand tools, no sluice boxes dredgers etc in National Forests in Georgia. You can also use a metal detector to look for Nuggets. Google federal forests...can i metal detect for nuggets in Federal/National Forests.

fuseboxxx

May 6, 2013
Yes you can pan for gold and use small hand tools, no sluice boxes dredgers etc in National Forests in Georgia. You can also use a metal detector to look for Nuggets. Google federal forests...can i metal detect for nuggets in Federal/National Forests.

Metal detecting is a legitimate means of locating gold or other mineral specimens and can be an effective prospecting tool for locating larger mineral deposits. This activity can also be conducted as a recreational activity locating lost coins, jewelry or other incidental metallic items of no historical value. Prospecting using a metal detector can be conducted under the General Mining Laws and is covered under the Forest Service 36 CFR 22~A locatable mineral regulations for lands open to mineral entry. Metal detecting for treasure trove or lost items such as coins and jewelry is managed as a non minerals-related recreation activity. It is Forest Service policy that the casual collection of rocks and mineral samples is allowed on the National Forests.

Prospecting using metal detectors is a low surface impact activity that involves digging small holes rarely more than six inches deep. Normally, prospecting with a metal detector does not require a notice of intent or written authorization since it only involves searching for and occasionally removing small rock samples or mineral specimens (36 CFR 228 .4(a)).

Metal detectors may be used on public land in areas that do not contain or would not reasonably he expected to contain archaeological or historical resources. Normally, developed campgrounds, swimming beaches, and other developed recreation sites are open to recreational metal detecting unless there arc archaeological or historical resources present. In such cases, forest supervisors are authorized to close the area to metal detecting and the closure would he posted at the site. Such closure notices are not always practical in undeveloped areas, and federal agencies have not identified every archaeological site on public lands. It is possible therefore, that you may encounter such archaeological remains that have not yet been documented or an area that is not closed even though it does indeed contain such remains. Archaeological remains on public land arc protected under law. If you were to discover such remains, you should leave them undisturbed and notify a Forest Service office.

2. Prospecting: Using a metal detector to locate gold or other mineral deposits is an allowed activity under the General Mining laws and is subject to the 36 CFR 228A regulations, A Notice of Intent (36 CFR 228.4(a)) is normally not required for prospecting using a metal detector. A Notice of Intent (NOl) is required for any prospecting which might cause disturbance of surface resources. A plan of operation is required for any prospecting that will likely cause significant disturbance of surface resources. Normal metal detecting does not cause surface impacts that require either a NOI or a Plan of Operation. People who use metal detectors for prospecting should bear in mind that many of the mineralized lands within the National Forests and open to mineral entry have been “claimed” by others who have sole right to prospect and develop the mineral resources found on the mining claim. A search of County and Bureau of Land Management records should he made prior to prospecting to determine if an area has been claimed.

Normally, any gold found can he removed and kept. If the removal of the gold, rocks, or minerals might cause disturbance of surface resources, beyond digging a small shallow hole, an NOI may be required.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Non navigable rivers and streams in Georgia are owned by the adjacent land owner.To even float down such a river in a canoe or inner tube is considered trespassing.To remove anything from the streambed, without the owners permission,constitutes theft.

hasbeen

Would that be if one of the sides touching the waterway is private property?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread