Where Can I Sell Nuggets, Besides EBay?

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Does anyone know of any other good places to sell gold nuggets, flakes and dust, besides EBay? I'm thinking coin shows, prospector supply shops and jewelry stores, but are there other places to sell that offer better prices? Since I don't know much about nugget quality, karats and value yet, I fear that I might get ripped off at a coin show. For example, if a rock contains both quartz and gold, how do I figure out what it's worth? I'm especially interested in places on the southeast coast and in the Smoky Mountains area. Previously, I thought selling gold was all about the weight (or mass) in grams vs. the current spot gold price, but apparently I have a lot to learn about nugget values. Thanks, SS

Upvote 0

49erjohn

Mar 21, 2007
silver striker, great prices at PRECIOUS METALS MIDWEST REFINERIES waterford, michigan 800 356 2955 . give them a call and they well give you an education. 49erjohn

Willy

There are jewelers out there that will pay considerably over spot, often for 8 mesh and over. Also, some will do consignment. Private sales are often the best, though spotty. Sometimes there are fairs or swap-meets. The easiest nuggets to sell are the $20 ones, cause it's not a big outlay of cash. consider value added. Ring blanks and ear syuds are cheaper 'n dirt. get some gold/silver solder and some silver wire, some 8 mesh nuggets, and $100 in gold and supplies can turn into a coupla grand. ..Willy.

OP
OP
Silver Striker

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Thanks for the tips, guys. I doubt that I will be making my own jewelry, Willy, but ya never know. I do know how to solder. If I did decide to go the value added route and make my own jewelry some day, where would I get those supplies that you mentioned and where could I sell the finished products without having to rent a booth at a flea market or swap meet or go on EBay? Also, I'm not familiar with the term "8 mesh". What does that mean? I'm also not familiar with the term "ring blanks". Does that mean a fixture with a gold nugget attached, that goes into a ring? Hey 49er, is Waterford anywhere near the Detroit/Ann Arbor/Lansing area? I might be up that way in July, to visit a friend.
Thanks, SS

OP
OP
Silver Striker

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Thanks guys. I'm mainly looking for jewelers, prospecting shops, gold shows, coin shows, swap meets and flea markets in the southeastern United States that pay fair prices for raw nuggets though. Online websites aren't an option for me anymore, since I'll be living in my car. But thanks anyway, SS

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
jewelers wont buy them but real goldsmiths do.

Also, whats up with everyone toting that Midwest refinery place? Has anyone independently verified that what they are paying is correct and honest?

Anyone ever try sending a melted bar and telling them the other half went to another refiner to see if they are honest or not and send in the rest under a different name and check the results against each other?

Just trying to figure out why there is so much support for this corporation.

Anyway. Selling gold is never a problem, people are always buying, its getting the best price is the problem.

If you have a lot of it, you can get up to spot for it, but at least 99% when dealing with refiners other than midwest.

if you only have a little you can get a premium from almost anyone, so yes, Ebay is the best.

Its when your in the mid range of not enough to sell to a big guy but too little to be worth refining that will get ya.
pawnshops, and coin shops are the worst. Does not matter how friendly they are, be prepared to take a long one.
Jewelers are in the middle ground, But only gold smiths, a mall jewelry sales representative/associate will be clueless, all they can do is go, OOOOOO look its shiny, and tell you you can buy this for X amount. They dont buy, its there job to sell.
Custom Jewelers and gold smiths do have use for nugget gold as inlay in rings, If its something they do or have a market for. Finding one in a tourist type town would do best, particularly in gold country.
They can quickly be made into small pendants and earrings that sell for a premium.
Putting it in little bottles and having a souvenir store sell it for you or does great. you will get more than spot.
its the age old, Put $2 in gold in a bottle, wholesale it for $3 and have the store sell it for $5
everyone is happy, including the tourist that got to buy "real Gold" not the flake stuff in the oil.

I buy scrap and other forms of gold all the time, Refine it to pure, and use it to manufacture my own jewelry and wedding rings. doing this I can always get a premium for the gold I get.

Attachments

• 60.jpg
    60.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 709
  • 60.jpg
    60.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 551
  • GOODGOLDPIC.jpg
    GOODGOLDPIC.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 611

Smoker

Greenie
Feb 28, 2014
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anyone know of any other good places to sell gold nuggets, flakes and dust, besides EBay? I'm thinking coin shows, prospector supply shops and jewelry stores, but are there other places to sell that offer better prices? Since I don't know much about nugget quality, karats and value yet, I fear that I might get ripped off at a coin show. For example, if a rock contains both quartz and gold, how do I figure out what it's worth? I'm especially interested in places on the southeast coast and in the Smoky Mountains area. Previously, I thought selling gold was all about the weight (or mass) in grams vs. the current spot gold price, but apparently I have a lot to learn about nugget values. Thanks, SS

I do know that gold and quartz together can bring you in more money as they are considered as collectors items....used for displays and that sort of thing. They say if you run into a good vein of quartz you might find gold too! And from my knowledge, gold is surely sold by weight and not size of nuggets, there are times when you can ask for and get spot price though not sure best way to do it...best if you are dealing with someone you know and trust. Most places online usually offer it by the gram....give me a good price nd I'd buy some if its at least 6 mesh. Hope that helps a bit. Rascus

ryanonthevedder

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought Id chime in here. I recently sold my poke to fund an atv for the claim and I sold my gold and platinum on craigslist. I got more than any of the local (Vancouver BC) buyers were offering, and the guy got a deal on some precious metals. Another good outlet I have found is the guy who sells the gold hog mats. He only buys placer gold, but offers 90% of spot based on weight alone.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craigslist works and go to library as almost all have free computers to use. Meet INSIDE a bank to do the deal as I ALWAYS use the safe deposit box room as bank has cameras and must sign in with drivers license for BOTH of your protection so you don't become yet another Craigslist killers victim-john

RUNSUPRIVER

Tenderfoot
Oct 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been interested in where people cash their river gold in in Northern California.

There used to be more buyers when the dredges were operating full bore.

Ebay seems a weird way to sell shiny metals.

Thanks!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey 49er, is Waterford anywhere near the Detroit/Ann Arbor/Lansing area? I might be up that way in July, to visit a friend. Thanks, SS

Yep, it's a little (tad) North in the middle of a straight line between Detroit & Ann Arbor.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have nuggets, you are best off trying to sell them individually for the nugget premium. If it is dust, a quick way to unload it is to get hold of a local jeweler, most of which also will buy scrap gold. In my area, they will have it melted into a 24kt button and then provide an offer based on weight. They make some money on the transaction, so it is usually 85% of spot. If you decide not to take it, they give back the button. Deciding when to "pull the trigger" on selling matters as the spot price fluctuates and it takes about a week through this method. Alternatively, there are usually buyers of placer in placer gold areas and talking to other miners will give you the scoop.

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i talked to a dentist about where he purchased gold that he used in making teeth. He told me there is a person who works in the dental business that makes periodic trips to either sell or buy gold from the dentist. When he removes gold teeth he sells it to this individual and when he calculates how much he needs on hand he will purchase from this individual. You might contact the dentist in your area to determine if they are interested or could put you into contact with someone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread