Gold Bug 2 Detector Coils Tech Question

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
I wonder why no mfgr, Fisher or aftermarket mfgr builds a DD coil for the gold bug 2?? Maybe the 71khz does not work with a dd configuration coil? Or would a dd coil mess with the iron id?? I am not knocking the Gold Bug 2 at all, its a tiny nugget getter using the little coil, but when I get in certain locations, with very hot ground such as in Nevada, I find that my Gold Bug 2 with the little 6x3 coil barely works, I know that a dd coil would quiet down the ground immensely in these areas, the area in question is not solid iron ore either, its a mix of soil, a pi runs right over it fine, but my gold bug 2 really acts up there, I know a pi is better on hot ground but a gold bug 2 is better on nuggets below 2 grains and this is what it takes to find them. This area has multiple 1-3 grain nuggets left in the ground and this same ground has minelab craters all over from previous digs so the minelabs didn't hear these nuggets at all, it just seems that a DD coil on the GB2 would make things much easier, any techs out there can comment on this??? Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GB2 is long in tooth,replaced by GB PRO,and why mess with perfection as them coils ROCK my nugget shooting world :headbang: simply slap on that bigger coil and good to go no bfd-- John

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
have ya tried turning down the gain? i find this helps me with my GMT and the little shooter coil

OP
OP
MXT SNIPER

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
have ya tried turning down the gain? i find this helps me with my GMT and the little shooter coil

Yes, all the usual tricks, lowered sensitivity to 5 or so from 7-8, med mineralization setting, hi mineralization setting, etc. I can still find nuggets on the site consistently, but its just very hard on the mind, concentrating more than a couple hrs with all the extra noise from the hot ground here and constant retuning of GB, its so hot you sit the detector down to dig and the machine goes wacky in some spots by itself. I will have to wait for a new reasonable priced pi that detects gold down to 1/2 a grain or so then I think I can conquer the area rapidly, Hurry up Fisher!! Funny thing is there are minelab craters dug all over the area, and they didn't find these 1-3 grain nuggets which are sittin. Probably blinded by the hot ground somewhat. We tried our minelabs there for nada, only the vlfs would pick them up. I only use the 3x6 coil on the GB2. I generally run the machine on low mineral setting with boost on. When I can. From there I start backing down the controls.

Last edited:

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You sure your coil isn't bad?

My brand new GB2 did the same thing. It was a noisy SOB... drove me crazy. I sent it in to Fisher and sure enough the coil was bad. Problem solved.

But I also know of areas so hot I don't dare use the GB2.

OP
OP
MXT SNIPER

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
No the coil works fine in other areas, very quiet, like I said this is an extremely mineralized area with the little pickers. It was so bad the machine would start making weird random noises by itself when laid down to dig, once out of this particular area my gb2 is normal and quiet enough. I got a feeling this is why there are so many little pickers in the spot I found, the high mineralization has guarded them from being easily found. We tried the gpx's there but they would not detect the tiny nuggets period, like the GB2 was able to do. So I was kinda stuck using the GB2 despite the excessive noise. I also have some areas in Calif I cannot use the GB2 at all, bedrock is pretty solid iron ore, and beyond the GB capability of the machine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread