Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have some placer claims in Atlin, BC, but have never tried a detector there. The claims are at the top end of some of the known creeks. I was thinking about buying a new detector for a trip in a few weeks and could use some advise from anybody that has detected there. Is the ground too hot for a VLF? (I was thinking about a Gold Bug II). Alternatively, if I go with a PI, would the advise be Minelab GTX 5000 or SDC2300? I am leaning towards the Minelab 5000, but that is as of a few minutes ago and it will probably change again....I would love to buy/take them all, but that isn't going to happen at this time.

By the way, I was one of the original members of this forum, but have been away so long that my ID stopped working and had to come up with another one. It is good to be back - - Lots of good posts and great people here. I will start joining in when I have something to share.

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sent you a PM.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bit the bullet and got the 5000. I have had some fun testing it and cannot wait until I am on the claims in northern BC later this month. Thanks for the advise.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bit the bullet and got the 5000. I have had some fun testing it and cannot wait until I am on the claims in northern BC later this month. Thanks for the advise.

It's a great machine, and with the proper selection of coils and settings, it can sniff out the nuggets you'll be after.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been trying the GPX in a local park that I have detected before with a Fisher CZ21, and found two rings and multiple recent coins. I did not realize how many power lines there are in my area until I powered up the GPX and it gave me some experience in tuning. The GPX is extremely sensitive to power interference. It is also unbelievably sensitive to small targets deep in the ground, well beyond the capability of my CZ. I have only found junk, which is OK, as I am trying to get some of the learning curve behind me, so I am more effective when I am in a nugget field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread