How well does the WHITES TRX pinpointer work on gold?

RUNSUPRIVER

Tenderfoot
Oct 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Falcon runs at 300khz, very sensitive to black sand and very small Pepper flake size gold, good unit
I have been using the Bullseye 2 (36 kHz) fro a long time, it will pick up gold about 4 grains small but you have to be almost on top of it
TRX 12 kHz, how small of gold ya lookin for?

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wondered the same thing about coin detectors. I tried two (Garrett and Minelab) in a simple test at home. Both are excellent on coins and rings (and pull tabs and bottle tops). On small gold however, in a bench test with a .6 gram nugget (about the size of a piece of cooked rice), the Garrett only picked it up from about 1/8 inch (pretty much touching) and the Minelab at about 3/4 an inch. I suspect the results would be worse in the field, because they would probably auto tune to less sensitivity in mineralization. I used to have a Whites, but I used it so much detecting coins, that I wore it out/broke it. I never did not test it on small nuggets. I will take the Minelab with me on my next prospecting trip just to see how it performs. It might work. Years ago, I had a Falcon and for sure that worked on small gold when properly tuned. I used it on coins in the park quite a bit and it worked OK for that, but eventually I broke it too.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just returned from a prospecting trip in northern BC and the Yukon. I had the Minelab pin pointer with me and tried it out various times. It worked well finding "other" metals (bullets, dozer blade shavings, etc), but was not effective on small gold nuggets in crevices or as a pinpointing aid with the detector. I suspect it had trouble after auto tuning out the local mineralization. Bottom line is it is one more thing to carry and possibly lose or break. Really, I was better off with my magnet stick (a plastic paint stir stick with multiple rare earth magnets attached) - - I use this to pick up little bits of iron - especially while detecting, so I don't waste too much time trying to find them. Next time nugget hunting, I will leave the coin pin pointer at home.

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love the TRX pinpointer for gold hunting

I'll be picking one up soon. After careful research, I've decided the MD20 (at least for now) is probably a little more sensitive than what I need. Here's a video of what I'll be using the TRX for...

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
The TRX will work good for that. However, unlike the Garrett it dos not detect up the entire length of the probe. It is hot at the tip and then dead for about 3 inches up the shaft, but will detect stuff up around your thumb.

Hope that makes sense.

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The TRX will work good for that. However, unlike the Garrett it dos not detect up the entire length of the probe. It is hot at the tip and then dead for about 3 inches up the shaft, but will detect stuff up around your thumb. Hope that makes sense.

Yep… a hot tip is exactly what I'm looking for, thus the reason for me wanting the TRX. Me thinks that would be way better for sniping gold out of a pan, rather than having the whole probe being hot. You're still gonna have to get the tip right over any gold to pinpoint it for verification anyways.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions