Any advise on small coild for ML GTX 5000?

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The two stock coils that come with the GTX are round 11 inch (mono and double-D). Neither one can be submersed in water.

As such, I was thinking about getting a small coil that I can dip into shallow streams and of course use in tight spaces on dry land. From what I see, not much to choose from if I want to put it into water. I am thinking about the 8x5 Gold Hunting by Coiltek, as there is a local supplier. There is a round 6" by Coiltek and an 8x6 Nugget Finder, but they do not appear to be stocked here. The fact that they seem to be rare is a bit of a red flag for me, so maybe I am "out thinking" this? ie. am I going to be disappointed?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might try looking at the Platypus coil if you intend on poking around under water.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Placergold,

The coiltek coils are excellent, and the small 6-inch mono round one is very sensitive and it's great at target separation for finding the gold; moreover, it's fully submersible.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This may be a dumb question, but I will ask anyway.

If I take a 6 inch mono and the 11 inch stock DD, should I consider leaving the stock 11 inch mono at home? I am only going for two weeks and still learning the area. Weight is a concern, because I am flying and the airlines charge huge premiums on oversize/overweight. As such, I am downsizing my gear (I have lots of stuff that I would love to take, but am reconsidering much of it because it is want vs need).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread