changing detector arm cuff foam

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone

I am going to be taking off my detectors arm cuff foam. It has poison oak on it from crashing thru the brush detecting. Everytime i use it now it gives me poison oak. I found some good foam at hardware store. But forgot to get some glue. Does anyone have advice to which would be the best so it dont peel off when im detecting? Thanks

Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if-n your going to be snake-in through P.O. may i suggest cutting the elastic part of thick socks to slide over your cuff( wash after evey use), it may or will collect environmentals burrs but i would rather pick at burrs then put up with P.O for a couple of weeks. just a thought, early morning first cup of joe, oh what do you have for glue at the home front?

Jan 20, 2010
Greenwood, S.C.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT, TDI
Fisher F75
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab GPX 5000, Explorer SE
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how your arm cuff on your detector is made. I read on here or another forum that person took two thick beverage can or bottle cuzzie's and cut the bottom out and slipped over their arm cuff on their detector.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 sided tape works great,the foam inner style has a more aggressive grip. To remove old foam a heat gun---wifes' hairdryer--heats it up and lets you remove and MUCH less mess-John

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John has the right idea. Got to add if you use the hair dryer/heat gun use it on the back side of the cuff and heat the metal to loosen the glue holding the foam. If you don't want to use tape an adhesive spray will work as well. 2camorua suggestion is also an excellent way to avoid the problem in the future it also collects the sweat off your arm and cuts down on chaffing. :)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoe Gooe (or some spelling like that) makes for a reasonable adhesive (Walmart, shoe section). You could use a sock to cover the arm cup (try not to use one of 2cmorau's socks as they are covered in PO and stickers :-)) or you could use Velcro so the foam can be easily removed (they have Velcro made with double back tape on each piece so makes it easy to stick it to the arm cup and to the new foam piece....................63bkpkr

OP
OP
C

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all advice and ideas. I tore off the old foam and just replaced with a new foam using spray adhesive from 3m. At ace hardware. Caution dont use outside in the breeze, for my cat is now stuck to the side of the garage. J/k

OP
OP
C

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think shoe goo would have worked well also. I seen someone glue their logging boot sole back on or something long time ago

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO NO NO NO when it comes time to change again---as you wrestle manzanite and stomp that poison oak more--you will be in pure LL tryn' to remove that wonderous product,used for many years but for this job that needs to be repeated a not me-John

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
63,LOL Nasa invention? i think, good ole velcro, great idea, I wash my socks regular therefore no PeeeOoooo yuuk yuuk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions