If you and your partner found a large nugget..

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Id go to a big cliff and throw the nugget off. Then wont have to worry no more. Save a friendship. Greed kills. Detecting is suppose to be about the thrill of the hunt. Not getting rich. That is just the side effect. But once someone finds a nugget and others dont jealousy sets in. Bad medicine. But everyone is different. I was born a hunter. Ive hunted most things on 2 or 4 feet. So i enjoy the scouting, research and the thrill of the hunt for gold. When my partner. Shes a shehunter, finds gold I'm happy for her. She always beats me in fishing, hunting, and most times detecting . And there is never jealousy or greed. Just good times. And because we are a good combination of partners, we have killed the gold last few years together. Of coarse uncle hoser knows how we roll.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I know my hunting buddy and I have agreed on the fact if, either of us finds a real cache, we would split it 50/50if we are hunting togahter..Of course that means a REAL cache of 40+ coins... We did that because we both share in particular spots that our owned by our families that could be promising...To me, just the fact that I found one, outweighs the value of the coins.

but with that said, a Gold nugget would be a little tough to split. If I ever found a gold nugget, ITS MINES!!!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id go to a big cliff and throw the nugget off. Then wont have to worry no more. Save a friendship. Greed kills. Detecting is suppose to be about the thrill of the hunt. Not getting rich. That is just the side effect. But once someone finds a nugget and others dont jealousy sets in. Bad medicine. But everyone is different. I was born a hunter. Ive hunted most things on 2 or 4 feet. So i enjoy the scouting, research and the thrill of the hunt for gold. When my partner. Shes a shehunter, finds gold I'm happy for her. She always beats me in fishing, hunting, and most times detecting . And there is never jealousy or greed. Just good times. And because we are a good combination of partners, we have killed the gold last few years together. Of coarse uncle hoser knows how we roll.

Nicely said...Money can come between a freindship in a heart beat. about 10 years ago, a buddie of mine and I were at a Salvage yard looking for truck parts, and we ended up getting a headliner out of a Repo'd truck. When we went to pull it down, about 1200 dollars fell out of the headliner (all 20s) and it was wild to see how distant we had become in a matter of seconds.

it went from him saying " Well, I pulled the headliner down" to me saying "Well, Im the one that was looking for parts"..we did split it down the middle, but the instant attitude we BOTH had was unreal

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When dealing with only 1 of something one person cuts and the other gets first choice of the two halves. The cutter will always make it perfect.

I dunno, it always worked for the last hamburger in my house.

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
All depends on whats stated prior to the hunt.

A lot of time and energy is devoted to research, so depending on who researched and who got invited to share in the research is a big part.

When with friends detecting I would split anything over 2oz. This way everyone is helping each other and not racing to be 1st over the new ground.

The person in the lead has an advantage, the 2nd person is detecting ground already detected. Plus anything over 2oz will make a nice cash out for 2 people, eliminates the jealousy factor.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would you split it up?

Sell it divide the cash, or cut it and lose the value?

Depends upon your partnership agreement beforehand. If metal detecting then usually the finder is the keeper but there again it all depends upon your prior agreement.

If you're partnering to combine the finds and split up the bounty and only one person finds anything then sell it and split the proceeds unless one person wants to keep it then he has to buy out the others share. If both want to keep it then flip a coin, looser has to accept the agreed upon buy out price.

Best to always agree about the details beforehand so there are no hard feelings. Kind of late to decide after the fact but fairness should prevail, if not then a valuable lesson is learned.

GG~

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A good and age old question. Best bet is have an agreement in writing up front or discussed in an email. There are so many factors to consider. Since this is in a detecting forum, I will assume detecting nuggets in my comments.

Splitting is fraught with potential problems. One guy may have a great gold detector plus the knowledge to use it and the other a cheap coin shooter. One guy may hit it hard, while the other smokes, drinks beer and passes over targets rather than dig. Is it fair to split? If you do, either sell everything and split the money; have one person split the finds and the other choses; or alternatively have one offer to buy the other's share (at which price is settled) and the other has the option of buying at that price (which makes it fair). It gets worse if there are more than two people involved.

Finders keepers works best in most instances. However, gold does funny things to people and there can be other factors which they may want you (or a court) to consider. Maybe you are detecting under a cobble pile that both of you moved (shared dead work). Maybe one discovered the nugget patch and the other jumped in to recheck a hole or the "same" patch before you were done. Maybe the nugget was locked away in a deep solid crevice and it took both of you a long time to open it up. How about the guy in Australia who found the nugget while helping to get a stuck car out of the wash? All kinds of things that will make one person feel they are owed something when the other finds a "keeper".

All in all, my vote is finders keepers, with very few exceptions.

Of course, one can always just go alone. ;-)

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with Steve H. All the guys I detect with it's finders keepers, and always has been. Sometimes our finds are fairly equal, but not always. I have found nuggets a partner missed. We have all walked over good nuggets that somebody else found. It just makes you more thorough next time. We have even helped each other dig , but the guy that detected the target wins the prize. Dennis

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold nuggets are always worth more whole as opposed to defaced... some nuggets with "character" will bring a premium.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think in general it's finders keepers. Though a person may help. Isn't that what buddies do anyways? If my buddy detected something and it was hard to find so I had to help. That's part of the fun. Maybe there'd be more in there. So then maybe buddy could ask you to scan the hole. Then if you found that one it'd be yours. He's recovering anyways from his nugget.
Happy hunting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it really depends on the terrain as to how the "accident" happened. You know, whether there is a cliff nearby, a dangerous body of water, or maybe just tripping on a loose rock.. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 36ounces.jpg
    36ounces.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 88

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finders keepers. That means to me that same way if I am predator hunting. The guy that calls in the bobcat gets the pelt. Not the guythat just fired a round off at what i had called in. Same if you got the signal and I helped dig it. Would I have known where to dig if you hadn't shown me? No. I like the idea that if everyone is contesting it, that a coin toss is the decider.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of finders keepers but some times you find yourself in a partnership.

I wanted a good solution. Here's what I came up with.

Auction it to yourselves.:thumbsup: How much to buy out the other shares? Let's say a gram picker. Around 40 bucks. I "bid " 20 for your half..., you say 25, I'll give 30... everyone should be happy.:occasion14:

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never gone out with a partner, but I'd say something along the lines of "we each keep what we find... Unless it's a vein or pile of gold, then we can split it, and never mention the site to anyone" lol

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finders keepers. That means to me that same way if I am predator hunting. The guy that calls in the bobcat gets the pelt. Not the guythat just fired a round off at what i had called in. Same if you got the signal and I helped dig it. Would I have known where to dig if you hadn't shown me? No. I like the idea that if everyone is contesting it, that a coin toss is the decider.

Exactly the same in days past when single and looking for some action in the local tavern. He who calls in the coyote, gets the pelt, before the firing of the round and a coin toss should be unnecessay. LOL

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see how two coils could swing over the nugget at the same time. So in my opinion the coil that found it owns it, unless prior arrangement was made in splitting all proceeds of hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread