Backpacking for California Gold

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just met a friend to go on what he described as "an arduous hike" into Northern California gold country. I have not lived out of a backpack in many years, so I had to get my gear together in as reasonably light a package as possible for four nights in the wild. The core was built around my new Minelab SDC 2300 due to the compact folding design. Tent, sleeping bag, rations, etc for five days, four nights came to 45 lbs. I figured this trip would alert me to what I needed to bring but did not, and what I could leave behind.

I ended up pretty happy with the setup except for my boots, which were not really up to lots of steep downhill stuff. Might lose a toenail or two from getting jammed up for days. The SDC with my three sets of rechargeable batteries made it for four days though I had two sets of alkalines just in case. The ground was really hot, with patches of soil I estimate ran about 50% magnetite and fairly hot serpentine bedrock. The SDC needed to be run extra slow in the bad spots or it would groan as the ground balance and autotune struggled to keep up. No way a VLF would work in this stuff and it would challenge most PI detectors.

The remote location and tough detecting conditions meant I saw almost no sign of previous detecting. I have no doubt people have given it a quick go and just gave up. That being the case, there were plenty if bullets and nails to dig. No lack of targets so more depth was not something I needed. I was plenty happy my GPX 5000 stayed home and that I had the SDC instead. Not that it was much of an option as my GPX with related gear alone would have filled my backpack!

The gold was generally sparse and scattered but I did find one little patch with a few chunky pieces. Enough to add up to 11.2 grams or 7.1 pennyweight. I sure like this California gold. It's high purity and rich color put most Alaska gold to shame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work! I loved the image you painted of the northern California gold and detecting 'area'. You leave me little hope of finding gold with my V3i. Great story!

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like fun. That's the kind of place I need to visit. I've spent around 30 hours with my SDC in the southern part of the state and have nothing to show but square nails and 20 yr old beer cans.

Beautiful gold you have there!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, do be young again. I suffered chasing gold like that in the late 60's. I never knew how great I had it...

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice Patch you hit!
We all know your a Pro detectorists but it sure shows as of late with your posts on the SDC, thanks for the pics and info.
Ive found just under a half ounce this season and have high hopes for more before winter hits, would love to hit a patch and convince the wife I NEED an SDC - HA HA
Happy Days- Happy Hunting!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice haul Steve, I'd say well worth sleeping on the dirt and eating out of a cup.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve for a delightful remembrance of California and some nicely colored gold. Seems you are having a good time with the new machine. We all appreciate your sharing with us so please do keep it up. Any other trip pictures you can share?

Here is a picture from one of my last hikes in NorCal, some folks might even recognize the general area. Have Fun!.......................63bkpkr

062.JPG

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the California Gold story! It sounds like you had a great time!
Awesome picture of pure gold!

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My SDC 2300 takes a break...

post-1-0-76679900-1409786229.jpg

A look at the ground...

post-1-0-82060100-1409786233.jpg

Mini patch where a few chunky nuggets were found...

post-1-0-91440100-1409786237.jpg

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice looking spot. Only advise to try to save the toenails, when walking downhill on a steep hike, is to make sure your boots fit (not too big) and are tied up tight. Otherwise it gives a new meaning to "toe jam".

Did you pick up the metal sole of your boot with the detector? I just got back from a trip and that was one problem that I have to solve. It was horrible with rubber boots and almost as bad with my hikers. I ended up either extending the detector to its longest length or wearing dive boots for some of the time, just to stop the interference.

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice looking spot. Only advise to try to save the toenails, when walking downhill on a steep hike, is to make sure your boots fit (not too big) and are tied up tight. Otherwise it gives a new meaning to "toe jam".

Did you pick up the metal sole of your boot with the detector? I just got back from a trip and that was one problem that I have to solve. It was horrible with rubber boots and almost as bad with my hikers. I ended up either extending the detector to its longest length or wearing dive boots for some of the time, just to stop the interference.

Boots were old ones just fine for last two summers in normal terrain but a hair too small for going straight down every day. Up was no problem! I use boots with no metal in them so detecting them is not a problem with big Minelab coils. I can't see that being an issue with the SDC 2300 due to the small hardwired coil.

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
Wow-- Great adventure and thanks for sharing!! I can relate to some of that steep terrain. I had a claim up in Foresthill for a few years and it was easy getting in but hiking out was real pain.

Congrats on the nice gold. Gotta love CA GOLD!!

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do this about 6 times a year and it is always fun. I must say my backpack is little heavier :( as I have not bought one of those nifty light weight gadgets. Glad you had a good time!!

Cheers - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions