Greenie
Sep 7, 2014
Helendale
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New to Me, White's Goldmaster 2

Hello everyone, I live out in Helendale CA, just north of Victorville. I picked up my first metal detector and am just getting started. I just got home and am very excited to use this thing for finding gold. I have NO experience and am starting fresh. I don't know anyone around or even have a claim to work. I figure I will learn how to use it in public lands and join a group like maybe Valley Prospectors or rte 66 maybe???? Either way I picked up my machine for the price of gas, 50$ cash and an Ipod touch that I don't use any more. I am very excited and would appreciate any help. I am cruising the web and hoping to get out next monday for some fun in the dirt.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to U Detector

MFSB, welcome!

You should practice at home to learn the machine, why waste gas going out to the hills, rivers, etc. without knowing the machine.

Use specific targets to test the machine
Targets = a 1/8" x 1/8" by 1/16" thick piece of: an old gold ring, a piece of lead, a piece of a Nickel {note: glue the targets to a poker chip so they do not get lost)

Any of the above targets will cause the machine to react as if it were detecting gold.

You should be able to download the manual for it off of the Whites Web Site, just look for their "Manuals" section on their site.

Learn how the machine reacts at all of its possible low to high settings for each adjustment and how the adjustments affect each other, usually high sensitivity will mean lost depth.

Take one or more of your practice targets with you when you go out into the wilds just to help confirm what you should be listening for and then for awhile, dig every signal to learn what they sound like. Even "out there" you should fill in your holes.

Your idea of locating a club is a Great Idea.

Good hunting and best of success......................63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MFSB

Greenie
Sep 7, 2014
Helendale
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the advice. I have messed with it a little tonight, learning to set ground balance on my lawn, one good thing is I found a sprinkler head that was broken, didn't even know it was there...LOL, it is the small things in life.... Having an old, used, detector is very daunting. I am considering sending it in to Whites for a tune. The last time it was there was in 2010, and it appears to have lead a rough life. I am planning on continuing to mess with it and enjoy it. I figure as I learn more, tinker with the settings and make a target I will be set. Have to buy a ring first and go from there, a cheep gold ring......LOL

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would ship that machine to Whites first thing and have them go through it, when you get it back call Whites(of California) and ask to talk to Jimmy. He knows the Goldmaster series and likes to help, be prepared to take notes. You want to learn to operate the machine and condition yourself to find what your looking for, if its gold you best practice with it. For a couple hundred bucks you can buy some pickers and be on the fast track, clubs are also good with nice folks.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with HP, send the machine in to Whites for a good check up as when you receive it back, it will be in top condition. Contact White's in Oregon first to make certain of what you need to do to send the machine to them..................63bkpkr

It sounds like you are already enjoying the machine, "found a broken sprinkler head". If you live in an older neighborhood, 1940's, that machine could find you some coins or jewelry even though it is Not made for finding those things it still will.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MFSB congratulations on the great purchase. I too recently bought a used Whites Goldmaster VSAT at a very good price and have been having a blast finding square nails and lead and one smal piece of gold. As HP say get some pieces of gold if you do not have any and practice for the differences in sound. Gold makes the sweetest sound of them all. Good Luck.

OP
OP
M

MFSB

Greenie
Sep 7, 2014
Helendale
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My neighborhood isn't old. I do not have tons of time to go play in the dirt as much as I would like. I like the idea of sending it in to whites, I called and the friendly customer service woman I spoke with assured me they still tune and tweek the machines and was happy to help.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We just got access to a Goldmaster V Sat. Close to 20 yrs old but it seems like it works well. Only tested it so far. it finds lead in/on the driveway. I guess we should look into the tune up too.

From Helendale you aren't far from some good spots. Good luck with your new machine.

OP
OP
M

MFSB

Greenie
Sep 7, 2014
Helendale
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I was looking on maps in the vicinity of Ord Mountain and saw that the same gold mines extend all the way over to the 15. I hope to get out and dig around maybe this week. I plan on sending the Detector in next week or the week after.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GPAA actually has some decent claims near Barstow (man, its been a while since I've thrown a plug for that organization)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread