Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know about you, but my time in the gold fields always seems "rushed".

On my last trip, it was a combination of bad weather, bad partner and overall limited time (2 weeks and travel). I was in northern BC and when the rain moved in, it came quickly and hard. I was with somebody who worried about bears, hated getting wet (rain, crossing creeks, etc) and he rushed me whenever I was detecting. It was worse when he was hungry, thirsty or tired. I won't be going back with him ever again. If I found a bullet or scrap dozer metal, he instantly made the assumption that it was a bad spot to detect (do you notice that people who know nothing, talk like they are experts?). Of course, he would not just leave me alone, because he would not walk back by himself and had nothing to do when he got there. On one hike that was 7KM into a creek, he sat down at 6KM and refused to go further. He said I could go on, but "frick", how much time can I spend at the destination knowing somebody is sitting and waiting?

The point of this is no matter what, I always seem to be rushed. I am wondering how best to use my time effectively in that situation? Do I simply pick a very small spot and clean it out? Do I rush from interesting spot to interesting spot, with the idea of trying to find a goodie and then come back later?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you got the first idea right.... ditch the dweeb.
As to time it does not sound like your taking time to enjoy yourself. Forget about making your partner happy~ they can do that for themselves. Just go out and find some gold, work the area and if your feeling charitable maybe drag the laggard along. If you find good spots you know where they are and can come back latter to relax and be happy. Just don't feed the seagulls or you will be "rushed" to frustration and have to work twice as hard to find a peaceful spot again.
My thoughts.
Personally the people who I prospect with know I'll skip the reservation and wander off for kays on my own and I never feel rushed.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
While trashy ground is a pain, it is some of the best as usually indicates no other metal detector has spent any time over it. Lose the wet rag and enjoy your time without having to cater to this person

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there and done that for many years. I mine alone most of the time now,no hastles,not responsible for others stupidity and almost always for days at a time-when there is water and not like current deadly fire conditions. Nuttn' better than 2-3 months out in the wild as addictive,relaxing,healthful and then ya find the gold. Travel time is a killer so being there is the secret. Nice to have a partner but definately not needed to have a good time/profits not split either #1--- John

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback. Very good point about slowing down and enjoying the time in the field.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relaxing out there is part of why I go out there. I once did a trip with a fellow from out of state, we had some rain and I've never heard so many four letter words. Trying to please others requires them to change. Unhappy or unwilling folks are not fun to be around. Pick your partners wisely and even then understand that you will still give up some of your freedoms around others................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha yep some folks go nutzo with rain,I say,what ya afraid of ? are ya gonna melt. Jumping in the water to dredge all day and yet o myne gott it's raining :icon_scratch: have to go home--by by by-mo' for me-John

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tough, resourceful and fiercely independent is what it takes to find the good gold these days. With risk comes reward but the wilderness is no place for wimps.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I kept telling myself that he is paying half of the expenses and it was not a cheap trip. On the other hand, I was in an unbelievably good area for gold and I wanted to find some. Last year, I went by myself which was great, but it worried my wife.

Next time, my wife and daughter come along. I plan on more detecting and less driving, hiking, exploring and high banking. I know the area better, which helps.

Sometimes it is just understanding what you can and cannot do with what you have. I recall Clint Eastwood saying in a movie, "a man has to know his limitations". Since I don't live there and it is too far for me to drive, I have to rent a vehicle. Even a 4x4 truck cannot go everywhere without the risk of damage and doing so in a rental is asking for trouble. Some hikes are simply too far and time consuming without an ATV to get me closer. I cannot bring along all of the gear that I might think I want, because of luggage restrictions on the plane. If I decide that an area warrants a different approach, then that will have to wait until the following year. I am thinking that it boils down to doing one thing well, or a bunch of things half-a**ed.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally understand your point as I lived it yesterday playing golf. We had a threesome and got added a fourth, this person was rushing and had a bad attitude the entire round and was on my cart. It ruined my entire experience not to mention it was a waste of money.

I usually travel and detect with someone else though this is a select group that has developed over the years. Having a bad partner can ruin a hunt and make the hobby seem like work, I do feel for you. I ended up taking people with me for the reason you mention, my wife worried about me going solo. I kinda got lucky as she has some interest in detecting and a couple others are family members. I do have a couple others I take with me and I think the main thing that makes them good partners is that they are easy going do not mind compromising.

However I think the biggest thing that makes these people work is that they understand that not everyday is going to be the big score and you have to enjoy just being out. I also like the 3 to 4 people I hunt as they are patient and not wanting to move to another location if they do not find something immediately. If you do your research and find an area that has a reasonable chance of finding gold, you do not want to keep moving in search of finding the perfect spot.

Cheers - Galen

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Hahaha yep some folks go nutzo with rain,I say,what ya afraid of ? are ya gonna melt. Jumping in the water to dredge all day and yet o myne gott it's raining :icon_scratch: have to go home--by by by-mo' for me-John

Yep...good time to grab a bar of soap! :blackbeard:

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Know your partners before you take an extended journey is the lesson learned here. The guys I hunt with are on their own, and so am I. We are out together but go our separate ways. I tend to hunt into darkness and be the last guy back to camp. I don't expect everybody to wait on me and they don't expect me to stop just because they are done for the day. Same goes for fishing.....to each his own. I am always the last guy off the water. Dennis

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've had this frustration...fishing, hunting, detecting, looking for old sites, it doesn't matter which hobby! My boots don't have a rev limiter and unless I just stumbled onto Solomon's gold, I always have to know what's over the next hill! Slowdown time is for later trips when you know where to concentrate! Problem is, partners like that are also good at making you feel bad because you somehow aren't considerate enough, smart enough, nice enough..blah, blah, blah. Screw that. It's nice to share expenses but if you get less done have you really gained?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic to involve the whole family as such quality time is hard to get. Them memories will be cherished forever. Camp comfortable and all will be well. This is just a single example of 100s a camps and I do spoil myself. After 8+ hours a boulder yanking,rock chucking and being underwater you DO need such luxuries as can be afforded. I've seen quite a few marriages saved by mining together and kids always grow up too darn fast anyhow-kudos and tons a au 2 u 2-John

Attachments

• 04-15-2012 02;32;26PM.JPG
    04-15-2012 02;32;26PM.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice camp! I will keep it comfortable for my wife and daughter by having a camper top on a 4x4 truck. That way, they will have a toilet, don't have to sleep on the ground, can get out of the rain and won't be worried at night about bears. It is a more expensive way to travel, but it will keep the ladies happy. When I was alone last year, I just slept in the back of the truck.

Your comment that mining has saved some marriages. Well, I can think of a few that it also destroyed. LOL I guess the difference is if the two are on the same page with the same passion. I bumped into a lady with a machine operation this year and she had 3 generations of family working on her lease. It sure was nice to see.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it destroyed a marriage then it wasn't really a marriage.just a convenience. That green standup is both toilet and shower and dish washing also, now that's my kind of a 3 way. Do whatever it takes to get the family out in the forest...kudos for trying as so many don't-then like you said,adios marriage-John

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dish washing, shower and toilet - hopefully not all at the same time. hahaha

I have taken my daughter prospecting in the mountains before and she loves it. This year, she could not go because her grandparents were visiting from Holland. Last time, she mixed it up by both fishing and prospecting. The rivers are stuffed with trout, grayling and whitefish. This year, I had fishing gear with me, but never wet a line (lack of time). "If you are too busy to go fishing, you are too busy". She tried one of my favorite things - sniping with a mask/snorkel/wetsuit, but found the water too cold. Perhaps, now she is a bit older that she will try it again.

I really look forward to introducing my wife to the northern BC and the Yukon. She is also from Holland, where the highest hill has a curb and isolated means you cannot reach out and touch the next person. The north is so very different. It is all part of my devious long term plan to make her fall in love with BC and then move there.

We plan on 4 weeks next year, so (whoo-hoo) that should be lots of time to detect properly without feeling too rushed. Too bad, I cannot drive from here and take all of the necessary gear, but that would be 72+ hours in the truck. I have plenty of time to think about it, to make it a "trip of a lifetime" for my ladies.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hefty1,
You were easy to camp with, cept of course for the campfire smoke. All I needed to do was help with the rocks and cook up my bean medley and share it around the smoke fire. Good times my friend!....................63bkpkr

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rush? I don't do "rush"...8-)

Last time I camped was down at Coolgardie in So. Cal., and
while I didn't have all the comforts of home (didn't want 'em)
I had everything that was needed.

Cal Nov 2013 - 112813 110.jpg

It was the last trip for my life-long friend, Ken, as he
passed away in May. We had a great time sitting around
the campfire rehashing 40 years of shenanigans, and life.

Ken was always in a hurry, too, and I finally told him to just
go ahead at his pace, and I'll do what I can. He had worked so
many hours for so many years that he didn't hardly know how
to relax, but after pouring a few barley pops down his throat
he was livable. He was always telling me that "money? I've got
plenty..it's time that's always in short supply". How right he was.

Even met a new furry friend that trip:

Cal Nov 2013 - 112813 121.jpg

Kids are grown and gone, and now we've got 8 grandkids
scattered around the country. None are old enough yet to do
any prospecting with, but it's still a hoot taking my grandson
out so he can find rocks for his collection. He loves Leaverites,
and has boxes of 'em..lol

You wanna hurry? Go ahead...I'll just hang back and enjoy
myself, smelling the roses along the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread