Thinking about getting a P.I. Machine Finally

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been nugget hunting with a different VLF Units for years and never bothered to pick up a P.I. detector. As of this last year My brother has shown a keen interest in the hobby. We have been hunting almost every weekend, if we are free at the beach or Nugget hunting. I have a unit for both of us currently, however this leaves us without an extra in case one unit goes down.

I would like this new detector to be able to be used as a beach machine , waterproof to at least 10 feet and more would be better. I would also like it to have the ability to be used as a prospecting machine. So if I am correct I have limited myself to a P.I. machine.

I have been looking around and it looks like two machine fall into this category

1 Infinium LS – This looks like a nice machine and the current issues with this looks to be learning curve. This does not really concern me as I have used many machines and been at this for a decade. So Im pretty sure I could handle the curve. Also being able to strap the unit to my hip is awesome. The price point is not so bad on this either at 1300 ish
2 The ATX – Looks like it would fit the bill and has more options and “tuneability” and customizable settings. The one thing that concerns me is it is 6.9lbs and that is pretty hefty. Also it sells for around 2500 dollars and I am not sure from reading other reviews if this is worth the extra cash over the infinium.

I would love to hear other opinions and maybe other options that I was unaware of.

Thank You - Koffee

Upvote 0

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your serious about finding small gold in nasty ground conditions and want a waterproof machine that doesn't require a well fed gorilla to swing all day........Throw down the dough for the Minelab SDC2300

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your serious about finding small gold in nasty ground conditions and want a waterproof machine that doesn't require a well fed gorilla to swing all day........Throw down the dough for the Minelab SDC2300

That's a lot of dough ($3700) to be thrown to get SDC2300 in one's hands...

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a lot of dough ($3700) to be thrown to get SDC2300 in one's hands...
Yes indeed, thats why I will continue to use my TDI and its 9 accessory coils (which totals well over $3000.) If I were shopping for a mid range PI today and wanted the best available, hands down the SDC2300

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is all about priorities. My friends have big trucks, RVs, trailers, ATVs, boats, snowmobiles, etc, etc. I have all the detectors I ever want and spend way less than they do. When you are talking big boy toys, detectors are the cheap stuff. I buy used trucks so I can get new detectors!

If you mostly want a water detector the Infinium will do just fine although having used both a LOT at the beach I prefer the ATX. ATX wins hands down for prospecting. Yeah, it weighs a ton but Garrett is probably sick of hearing me whine about that. I liked my Infinium but no way I would go back now that I have an ATX.

SDC is waterproof to ten feet also but I prefer the ATX for water use. The ATX underwater is maybe 1/2 lb negative, the SDC maybe 1 lb positive buoyancy. Not bad for wading but fully submerged the SDC wants to float like a cork. Guess I need a strap on weight for it!

I am still disappointed White's would not make a waterproof TDI for us. They had the lead and gave it away to Garrett and Minelab and now may as well not bother.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was going to pick a PI especially for water I would also choose the ATX Extreme. Tests i have seen have shown it is more sensitive to gold chains and deeper on gold and it is over a $1000 cheaper.........

And I am a Minelab man.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is all about priorities. My friends have big trucks, RVs, trailers, ATVs, boats, snowmobiles, etc, etc. I have all the detectors I ever want and spend way less than they do. When you are talking big boy toys, detectors are the cheap stuff. I buy used trucks so I can get new detectors!

If you mostly want a water detector the Infinium will do just fine although having used both a LOT at the beach I prefer the ATX. ATX wins hands down for prospecting. Yeah, it weighs a ton but Garrett is probably sick of hearing me whine about that. I liked my Infinium but no way I would go back now that I have an ATX.

SDC is waterproof to ten feet also but I prefer the ATX for water use. The ATX underwater is maybe 1/2 lb negative, the SDC maybe 1 lb positive buoyancy. Not bad for wading but fully submerged the SDC wants to float like a cork. Guess I need a strap on weight for it!

I am still disappointed White's would not make a waterproof TDI for us. They had the lead and gave it away to Garrett and Minelab and now may as well not bother.

Steve, keep whining cause Garrett may find away to shed some weight from the ATX. Oh and I don't think you scared Dilek away.

Last edited:

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Maybe they're just hanging back and seeing what the market will bear. Appears to me they have a winner with their TRX pinpointer. Whites has a good name in the industry. If they come out with something similar to the ATX or SDC that combines the technologies from both… guess who just leap frogged ahead?

OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was originally thinking of just getting something on the cheaper side as I was looking just for a back up for the detectors we are using. However the machines I am using for our prospecting are around 8 years old (goldbug2's) and for the water (Excal and CZ20 might be a 21 now I had it repaired). So with the information given I might just pick up an ATX or a SDC2300 and just use it for my main machine so I can justify it for myself:) I have a tendency to use my detectors for a long time so the investment does not so much bother me to spend a little.

The SDC2300 is intriguing with its weight as I backpack a lot around Shasta to either Fly Fish or prospect and f I had a lighter weight machine I could bring both my fly fishing stuff and metal detector. I will take a much closer look at the SDC2300 and ATX.

Thank You

Cheers - Koffee

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Being that you are in Shasta (County I assume) you should stop in at the Miners Cache in Redding to talk to Chip about them.
He will let ya try them out in the store and give you all the info that you need to know about them.
Chip is running a great deal on the ATX right now with an extra coil.

I have not gotten the chance to hunt with either machine, but its pretty much a Lamborghini VS a Ferrari.
Both will make you very happy, but one is better for certain road conditions over the other.

When it comes to Nugget hunting only, well Steve has shown me enough gold to make me a very jealous man of the SDC2300.
I fell in love with the ATX first though, and its closer to my price range.

Damn it man, I am on a Mustang Budget (Gold Bug) Not a Ferrari Budget (SDC2300)!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
oh, and the GPX5000 is a Bugatti Veyron. :)

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well there is a new 1,600hp Super Veyron now, soooooo. yeah. :D

Anyways, I always crashed the Koenigsegg in Need For Speed. lol

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Koffee. I have a CZ20 that was repaired to look like a CZ21 too. I used it so much that I wore out the little rubber nipple 3 times and finally got the CZ21 brass button installed. I also have a CZ21. They are great water machines for sand beaches and jewelry. I tried both for gold prospecting and was just frustrated. It thought every 5th rock (hot rock) was a target.

My two cents. This year, I got a GPX5000 and am not yet an expert with it, but was very impressed on how it handled the hot rocks (still sounded on a few, but very few) and it picked up targets that were surprisingly small. In fact, one little piece of shallow quartz was the size of cooked rice and it told me there was gold in it. Knowing what I know now, I would only be looking at the SDC or GPX for prospecting. I looked at an SDC in a showroom and it is a pretty cool little machine. Now, hearing about Steve's success, we know it works. For sure, it is easier to transport than a GPX and the ability to work in and around water make it intriguing. I bet I have one before this time next year....

OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, you might want to look into our new club; Mount Shasta Metal Detecting Club. Msmdc.org

Thank you for the information I will look into it. I actually do not live up there I live in Oakdale currently and just have a cabin there. I am up there a lot between fly fishing and detecting.

Thank you - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread