Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to have one of the hand held Falcons. They detect tiny pieces of metal and are better for prospecting than other pin pointers that I have tried. I thought I might use it to check a pan or crevice before going through the paces of working it. While it was nice to know something might be there, I ended up working the pan or crevice with equal enthusiasm anyway, so in the end I stopped using it for that. It is easy to tune, so once you get the hang of it, the little device works. I have heard other people rave about them, but it was not something that I really needed in my kit for what I did. I ended up using it as a coin/jewelry pinpointer when I worked in grass parks until I broke it.

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work an area where the gold is in a fossil river bed. It's very fine, and I classify the material down to minus 100. When this happens, there is gravel left in each classifier screen from 30 mesh down to 100 mesh. I use the Falcon to make sure I haven't missed a picker after the fines have worked their way into the smaller screens. So far, I haven't missed any. I also use it as a pin pointer. The downside to this detector is that it is not designed for heavy use. The cable can be damaged easily if coiled too tight, so I'm pretty careful with it in the field. The thing I like most about it is it easily differentiates between metal and hot rocks, thereby saving wear and tear on the knees.

rustyfind

Oct 18, 2007
Tonto is correct. The MD is a little fragile compared to most but works well when needed especially in the desert. I made a special pouch and try to keep it covered as often as possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread