Whites v3i for prospecting?

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I own a whites XLT and love it... But since I also have gold fever, I'm thinking about getting a detector for gold.

I have heard that the MXT with the 4x6 coil is good on gold.. But how is the v3i, due to the higher frequency than the MXT, on small gold?

I'd like to use it also for regular detecting, but will mainly getting it for gold.

So I guess the real question is; GMT vs MXT vs V3i all with 4x6 coils, have you folks got to try each of them on gold?

Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMO GMT hands down with shooter coil, all around multipurpose and pretty good on small nuggies I would lean towards the MXTpro, n get the shooter coil if ya can , V3i huge learning curve, sweet with its three freq n three color display comes in handy sometimes

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mxt pro does look pretty nice with the shooter coil! Saw some small nuggets pulled out online with them... I'm doing a bit of research first before I commit to one.

The v3i is expensive, but the 3 frequency thing is very appealing as well

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The V3i probably can't match the GMT, or the Fisher Gold BugII at finding really tiny gold. That said, though, the v3i, when used in the 22.5khz frequency only will keep up with the Fisher Gold Bug Pro, the White's MXT, and a host of others. At the same time, it's superior to those others when it comes to coins and relics, because it can be run at all 3 frequencies at once, if so desired. Only a multi-freq. unit will handle wet and dry salt well, and a multi-freq also does better at discriminating iron trash. I use a GMT, and a DFX. If I had the bucks, I'd sell both and get a V3i. The only thing I'd miss would be having two machines, so no backup. Machines that transmit mutil-frequencies all the time, don't do as well for prospecting. That's the problem with the DFX for prospecting...it transmits both frequencies all the time. You can select only one to receive, but it always transmits both. That ability to select the frequency, or frequencies, the unit transmits is a BIG deal....especially when prospecting for small gold.
Jim

Last edited:

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For straight up small gold I go GMT but the MXT offers extra versatility in hunting old mine workings and tailing piles littered with nails and other ferrous stuff. Sometimes the stuff gets so thick the MXT discrimination options can give it an edge over listening to every target with the GMT.

The V3i is a killer jewelry detector but out of all its potential uses I would rate it weakest as a prospecting detector. Sure, if you have one you can use it for that, but other detectors that cost far less serve the purpose better. Prospectors do gravitate to whatever works, no matter how crazy, and it is not a coincidence almost nobody uses a V3i for prospecting. But my friend Marko cleaned up with the V3i at Ganes Creek so in low mineral tailing piles at least it does produce the goods.

Customer Finds

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys for your input! I think I'm leaning toward the mxt pro... Not set in stone yet, but I've heard of many prospectors who use them. The discrimination and multi purpose ability are what's pushing me there

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For straight up small gold I go GMT but the MXT offers extra versatility in hunting old mine workings and tailing piles littered with nails and other ferrous stuff. Sometimes the stuff gets so thick the MXT discrimination options can give it an edge over listening to every target with the GMT.

The V3i is a killer jewelry detector but out of all its potential uses I would rate it weakest as a prospecting detector. Sure, if you have one you can use it for that, but other detectors that cost far less serve the purpose better. Prospectors do gravitate to whatever works, no matter how crazy, and it is not a coincidence almost nobody uses a V3i for prospecting. But my friend Marko cleaned up with the V3i at Ganes Creek so in low mineral tailing piles at least it does produce the goods.

Customer Finds
Thanks, Steve. I'd bet that very few prospectors, on a relative basis, have tried the V3i. The overall opinion is that multi-freq, detectors aren't good for prospecting. Given the cost, I'd bet there aren't many being swung by serious prospectors. I wish somebody would do a good test.
Jim

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after days of reading pros and cons of each detector (was looking at the v3i, which quickly I decided was a no... MXT, GMT and goldbug2) I decided that the MXT Pro with the 4x6 coil would fit exactly what I want in a detector. Versatility, can handle bad ground, pick up quite small gold, cancel out iron... And since it will mainly be a gold country detector, it will do great on coins from the old prospectors ;)

I've heard many great things about the mxt on gold, especially up in Alaska.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread